Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parking in Wick

I would prefer that the police were trying to solve crimes rather than acting as glorified traffic wardens. Apart from the businesses directly affected, the cones should not impact on normal traffic flow as there shouldn't be parking on the Main Street anyway.

Oh to listen to the self righteous biddies of Caithness telling all and sundry they shouldn’t be parking on Bridge Street. The street allows for Loading/Unloading and disabled parking, so the street might well look like a car park. OK there will be people who are too idle to park behind the shops and walk in but hey, this is Wick not George Street, Edinburgh. To listen to some of these biddies you’d think they had to be somewhere important immediately. If it bothers you that much set out on your journey earlier or choose another route, it isn’t rocket science.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by fire1 View Post
    This year I believe you will not display a road tax so how you gonna know if the guy parking a car in wick is a tax dodger.
    Why do you want to know? Do you tell on people?

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Why do you want to know? Do you tell on people?
    Until the demise of the Road Fund Licence or Vehicle Excise Disc, whatever you want to call it, I'm sure any right thinking road user would report a vehicle failing to display one. Until now, without one the vehicle is on the road illegally and thus any insurance is void, so that if the driver of such a vehicle involved you in an accident you would difficulty seeking recompense for any injury or damage.
    I don’t see what is to be gained by not ‘grassing up’ someone who fails to pay their share and behave responsibly.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Birons seems to be really good at making comments on here. I have issue with a few of them. If the cones are put out when a delivery is imminent how are they going to move all of the cars already parked on the street, go around the shops with a megaphone shouting out registration numbers?? Paying a traffic warden is meaningless, the entire street should be double yellowed from end to end with a small amount of disabled and loading bays. Why don't you offer to take your customers goods to the rear car park for them as I am sure you have access? Why don't you offer a delivery service?

I am sick to the back teeth of people in this town endlessly moaning about anything that is good for the county, including what will hopefully be a huge amount of further work for the harbour, as well as the local funds which have been set up by wind farm developers to benefit local communities. You will no doubt jump down my throat on wind farms, BUT, getting substantial community funds from developers using a NATURAL RESOURCE in wind energy seems like not a bad deal to me. Wick town centre is dying, all the independent businesses moan about the horrible big business out of town parks, but at no point will reform and move on in a rapidly changing and modern society. The days of people using independent businesses because there is no choice north of Inverness is long gone, and the soon Wick traders get the hang of that the better for everyone instead of utterly abusing the goodwill of their customers!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by weeker2014 View Post
    Birons seems to be really good at making comments on here. I have issue with a few of them. If the cones are put out when a delivery is imminent how are they going to move all of the cars already parked on the street, go around the shops with a megaphone shouting out registration numbers?? Paying a traffic warden is meaningless, the entire street should be double yellowed from end to end with a small amount of disabled and loading bays. Why don't you offer to take your customers goods to the rear car park for them as I am sure you have access? Why don't you offer a delivery service?

I am sick to the back teeth of people in this town endlessly moaning about anything that is good for the county, including what will hopefully be a huge amount of further work for the harbour, as well as the local funds which have been set up by wind farm developers to benefit local communities. You will no doubt jump down my throat on wind farms, BUT, getting substantial community funds from developers using a NATURAL RESOURCE in wind energy seems like not a bad deal to me. Wick town centre is dying, all the independent businesses moan about the horrible big business out of town parks, but at no point will reform and move on in a rapidly changing and modern society. The days of people using independent businesses because there is no choice north of Inverness is long gone, and the soon Wick traders get the hang of that the better for everyone instead of utterly abusing the goodwill of their customers!!!!!!

I'm just sick to the back teeth of moaners on the org. Do you shop locally btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Until the demise of the Road Fund Licence or Vehicle Excise Disc, whatever you want to call it, I'm sure any right thinking road user would report a vehicle failing to display one. Until now, without one the vehicle is on the road illegally and thus any insurance is void, so that if the driver of such a vehicle involved you in an accident you would difficulty seeking recompense for any injury or damage.
    I don’t see what is to be gained by not ‘grassing up’ someone who fails to pay their share and behave responsibly.
    We don't like sneaks in this school.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    I'm just sick to the back teeth of moaners on the org. Do you shop locally btw?
    Well it would be an awful trek to Inverness on a daily basis to get ma bits and bobs if I didn't! Although obviously I don't go shopping on the half day when the shops DON'T want our trade!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    If you have not paid VED or declared SORN then you will be fined automatically by the DVLA regardless of wether the car is on the road or not.
    If it is declared SORN and being used then the police will pick up on it.

Perhaps the new Scottish DVLA will reintroduce the VED disc
    Will all our penalty points become null and void under an independant Scotland?
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    If you have not paid VED or declared SORN then you will be fined automatically by the DVLA regardless of wether the car is on the road or not.If it is declared SORN and being used then the police will pick up on it.Perhaps the new Scottish DVLA will reintroduce the VED discWill all our penalty points become null and void under an independant Scotland?
    Oh that would be nice :-)

Well it would be an awful trek to Inverness on a daily basis to get ma bits and bobs if I didn't! Although obviously I don't go shopping on the half day when the shops DON'T want our trade!!!!
    Yes it would indeed be an awful trek to Inverness and that is why, wherever possible, i support my local shops. In the last 4-5 years there is but a handful of items i have actually went to Inverness for and mainly because they weren't supplied up here. I have also mail-ordered from inverness shops for the same reason but i always choose local and ask if they can order before i go elsewhere because when the shops are gone, then it WILL be Inverness on a daily basis!
    As for the half-day point, what would be so necessary that you couldn't live without it for another 24 hours? Also if the small shops were to open 6/7 days a week then no doubt their prices would have to rise due to increased staff requirements and other overheads etc.
    Personally i think anyone having the balls to open their own business and provide a needed service should be thanked and not shot down in flames at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Yes it would indeed be an awful trek to Inverness and that is why, wherever possible, i support my local shops. In the last 4-5 years there is but a handful of items i have actually went to Inverness for and mainly because they weren't supplied up here. I have also mail-ordered from inverness shops for the same reason but i always choose local and ask if they can order before i go elsewhere because when the shops are gone, then it WILL be Inverness on a daily basis!As for the half-day point, what would be so necessary that you couldn't live without it for another 24 hours? Also if the small shops were to open 6/7 days a week then no doubt their prices would have to rise due to increased staff requirements and other overheads etc. Personally i think anyone having the balls to open their own business and provide a needed service should be thanked and not shot down in flames at every opportunity.
    Shaggy I run my own independent business but I am smart enough to know it is not a vanity exercise and I bend over backwards to meet my customers requirements whether that be through product, availability hours or by bending over backwards to meet my customers needs. It isnt gained by moaning about cones on a street which should have no parking in the first place and by having half days when the fancy takes me. The sooner that big park up near tesco is developed the better, to give selfish Wick traders the kick in the ass the desperately need!!! Traders it is not "poor me" it is what can i do to make my business the best it can be!!

Default Bridge Street

Because we spend about 60 hours a week on the street I thought we might be well placed to make an informed and balanced view about what goes on in town. I didn’t think I was particularly moaning, but I apologise if it sounded that way.The cones being left out when no turbines were being delivered had the detrimental effect of people just getting used to them sitting there because there being a good chance that nothing would be coming through, (and they were right). When a delivery did come through they had to shift everyone anyway. We had a system that worked well with the traffic warden being both strict and fair and hopefully we will return to that system regardless of who pays for it.
    We do often carry goods to customer’s cars for them and we also do a delivery service if feasible.
    I personally have nothing against wind energy, it has brought work to the area and some businesses have benefited from it. I would prefer to see a wind turbine than a coal tip.
    I think I would disagree with you about Wick town centre dying and in fact I think the general shopper prefers the type of service that an independent retailer can offer and are often surprised at how competitive our prices are.
    We are open from 9 till 5 six days a week and we don’t close for dinner or half day so if you ever feel the need to vent your spleen, please call in and see us.
    Visit our shop at 20 Bridge street, Wick
    Tel/fax 01955 604655
    'like' us on Facebook - BironsIronmongersWick

Quote Originally Posted by Birons View Post
    Because we spend about 60 hours a week on the street I thought we might be well placed to make an informed and balanced view about what goes on in town. I didn’t think I was particularly moaning, but I apologise if it sounded that way.The cones being left out when no turbines were being delivered had the detrimental effect of people just getting used to them sitting there because there being a good chance that nothing would be coming through, (and they were right). When a delivery did come through they had to shift everyone anyway. We had a system that worked well with the traffic warden being both strict and fair and hopefully we will return to that system regardless of who pays for it.
    We do often carry goods to customer’s cars for them and we also do a delivery service if feasible.
    I personally have nothing against wind energy, it has brought work to the area and some businesses have benefited from it. I would prefer to see a wind turbine than a coal tip.
    I think I would disagree with you about Wick town centre dying and in fact I think the general shopper prefers the type of service that an independent retailer can offer and are often surprised at how competitive our prices are.
    We are open from 9 till 5 six days a week and we don’t close for dinner or half day so if you ever feel the need to vent your spleen, please call in and see us.
    Well thats one way to upset the general public and lose customers!!!

Well thats one way to upset the general public and lose customers!!!
    . I certainly don't think that Birons will lose customers over this. I think that he may actually gain new customers because he has pointed out that he provides good customer service and is open for longer hours than most. I have shopped here quite a few times and find that the staff are knowledgeable, courteous and willing to go the extra mile to give you advice and good service. Maybe you can't park at the door at the moment but they make up for it in other ways. I also agree that the town centre is a pretty busy place at the moment and businesses seem to be doing well. There's a good mix of shops that offer most of the stuff we could need so we should all support them to make sure that they stay.
    Last edited by Blarney; 09-Sep-14 at 21:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarney View Post
    . I certainly don't think that Birons will lose customers over this. I think that he may actually gain new customers because he has pointed out that he provides good customer service and is open for longer hours than most. I have shopped here quite a few times and find that the staff are knowledgeable, courteous and willing to go the extra mile to give you advice and good service. Maybe you can't park at the door at the moment but they make up for it in other ways. I also agree that the town centre is a pretty busy place at the moment and businesses seem to be doing well. There's a good mix of shops that offer most of the stuff we could need so we should all support them to make sure that they stay.
    Think I will stick to the amazonmongers from now on or Homebase

I think that Birons is a huge assets to Wick & specifically central Wick. Always friendly, helpful, with a large range of goods. Can't understand why there should be even a hint of criticism.

Shaggy I run my own independent business but I am smart enough to know it is not a vanity exercise and I bend over backwards to meet my customers requirements whether that be through product, availability hours or by bending over backwards to meet my customers needs. It isnt gained by moaning about cones on a street which should have no parking in the first place and by having half days when the fancy takes me. The sooner that big park up near tesco is developed the better, to give selfish Wick traders the kick in the ass the desperately need!!! Traders it is not "poor me" it is what can i do to make my business the best it can be!!
    So you run your own business. Good for you!

The only selfish Wick trader i see on here is the one that said he was going to use out of town shops in future and not use the town centre shops. Your loss! the telephone is ringing, you better go bend over backwards!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123