Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parking in Wick

Default Parking in Wick

Just drove through high st,bridge st Wick where its all coned of for Wind mill transportation and cars parked everywhere. Think its about time Wick council employed a traffic warden as the parking is beyond beleif at times. maybe our local councillors could get their heads together and actually do some good for the town.As iv yet to see what they do,all construction work lands to firms outwith caithness.
    Last edited by dontstop; 02-Aug-14 at 13:48.

So all the inhabitants of Wick have to suffer so that private industry which hardly employs any locals can benefit. Why don't they move the turbines evenings and nights instead of disrupting everyone else for their profiteering. How many old people and disabled have to walk further just so some corporate types can make a few more £s let alone the loss in trade for the local shops. About time we looked after local people and local business's.

Quote Originally Posted by Chook a demus View Post
    So all the inhabitants of Wick have to suffer so that private industry which hardly employs any locals can benefit. Why don't they move the turbines evenings and nights instead of disrupting everyone else for their profiteering. How many old people and disabled have to walk further just so some corporate types can make a few more £s let alone the loss in trade for the local shops. About time we looked after local people and local business's.
    Cant argue with you there.
    Although i am guilty myself of parking on the Bridge street ,even though it s just long enough to visit the hole in the wall.

SHow many old people and disabled have to walk further just so some corporate types can make a few more £s let alone the loss in trade for the local shops.
    They are driving windmills through the Tesco car park? Whatever next....

I didn't realise there was such a demand for flour
    W.A.T.P.

To ckook a demus,what im trying to say we need a traffic warden. But i must add probably most of the cars parked are able bodied people who cannot get close enough to shops. And i take it you use all the local shops for your shopping.And another thing is if you open your eyes and read a local paper you will see that there is major benifits coming to wick harbour through the moray firth turbines wanting Wick harbour as its maintainance base which im sure will be good for our town.

I frequently use the local shops was in Birons this Morning, Boots the post office and Harrolds yesterday frequently use the many shops in town if I wanted to live in a major town with traffic wardens I'd move to one. If the councillor felt we needed a traffic warden we would still have one. I frequently see elderly and many people using walking aids in town. So what you're actually saying is the whole of Wick should change just to let another large corporate company do as they please to a small rural town. So far the majority of wind turbine jobs have not gone to the locals I can't say that I see that the majority of the new jobs will go to people in the community. What it will mean is more heavy traffic, more congestion and less of the town being for the local community.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    I didn't realise there was such a demand for flour
    Yes there is and boy oh boy do we knead it!

Can't have people Loafing aboot you never dough what might happen :0)

they turbines are the best thing since.............

We should all make an effort and rise to the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
    We should all make an effort and rise to the occasion.
    looks like Susie is on a roll

I heard the traffic warden is on maternity leave, she has a bun in the oven.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

i think the traffic wardens pay came from the police purse and one of the recent cuts to try & save money was the traffic warden getting the push .
    was a pity as the town benefitted with little or no parking on the main streets.

ps. and he was pretty fair .

The traffic warden was employed by the police not council,what im saying is the council should remploy a warden and they should pay him. im sure with the parking in wick he could earn his pay in 1 day. And i never said anything about the town needing to suit big companys what i said was wick harbour will be a maintainance hub for the moray firth and i dont see why there would be any movement of anything going through town as if you look at a map the moray firth is the north sea and im sure they will use boats for it

Default Traffic Warden

I would like to offer a balanced view of the parking situation on Bridge Street.
    Love him or hate him, when we had a full time traffic warden the town seemed to move along nicely and anyone taking the micky after ten minutes parking he would make sure you moved on or got a ticket.
    Before the wind turbines started coming through, neither the council or the police seemed interested in taking responsibilities for the chaos caused by people parking all day, on one occasion we where waiting for a delivery of a pallet of goods and it was returned to Inverness and brought up on a van the next day because the lorry couldn't get near our shop.
    We turned up for work one day and the cones where out without any consultation with the traders on the street about what was happening or how long for.
    Many of our loyal customers are elderly and enjoy the traditional style of service that we offer, but because they cannot walk up the hill to the shop, they have stopped coming. Also the logs, peat, and compost trade has all but gone because most people will not chance it or cant get in by the cones.
    If we still had a warden, at last the cones could be put out when there is a delivery coming through and not be left out all day regardless.
    I emailed a Mr Brogan that is in charge of the Stroupster project, but I didn't find his reply particularly helpful.
    Visit our shop at 20 Bridge street, Wick
    Tel/fax 01955 604655
    'like' us on Facebook - BironsIronmongersWick

Well put birons,thats the point i was trying to put cross untill chook a demus had to get their little piece of dribble in. I think there is somewhere else in the highlands that the council now employs a traffic warden which is why i think wick should takes steps towards this.Also the warden keeps a eye on road tax dodgers too.

all these bread jokes are just run of the mill ones.......facepan indeed......at yeast it keeps you all busy thinking up new ones......
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Aye better than being all crusty aboot things an gettin ya bloomer in a twist

Quote Originally Posted by dontstop View Post
    .Also the warden keeps a eye on road tax dodgers too.
    No such thing as road tax and the DVLA monitor vehicle exise duty payment .No need for a warden on that front
    W.A.T.P.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast