Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: A Good Day

Default A Good Day

Looked out of the kitchen window this afternoon. On the bird feeders and the ground a thrush, siskins, chaffinches, a wren, a blackbird, greenfinches, collared doves, a jackdaw and the inevitable sparrows. Lovely to see. No dramas apart from squabbling siskins. Wish that us lot could get on as well together.
    Goldfinches notable by their absence - haven't seen any for a week or so - where do they go?
    The siskins are all juveniles - what happens - I thought the adults would stay put while the youngsters went off to pastures new?
    Thought that jackdaws came mob handed but this one comes by itself?
    Comments welcome.

I knew a milkman years ago who had a friendly jackdaw. It was a wild one but for reasons unknown it used to go on a particular part of the milk round. It sat on the back of the float when the mannie was moving to the next street then either zat on walls and gates while he delivered the bottles or actually sat on his shoulder. It never went to anyone else and he never fed it. A marvellous sight.

I've got 8 pairs of sparrows in the garden and tbey all have 4 fledglings! I'm helping them out a bit with some wild bird seed. I don't normally do that but we were riosly short of sparrows last year so I hope this helps a bit. Most are hatched in nests in the house roof but in winter they move across to the barn and byre. I think the sparrows look lighter coloured than usual, prettier in some ways. I've seen 3 adult males with a huge black area on the breast below the neck, usually it's just a black daub.

I've got young greenfinches, chaffinches, blackbirds, 2 beautiful young robins and more wrens than I've seen for many years. I haven't seen the goldfinches here since Spring. I think they go inland a bit. Lots round Durran and Gillock. I see siskins too, they are sweet.

Around the farm just now we have ravens, jackdaws, whinchat, starlings, wrens, blackbirds, robins,siskin, thrushes oyster-catchers, curlews, pheasants, chaffinch, and lots of bats.

I'm sure to have missed someone off my list.

I love seeing all the birds and other creatures, there is so much to watch out for. This year has been exceptional so far, we have been graced with 2 sets of hedgehogs and the amount of young toads this year is off the scale.

Thanks wavy davy, I was happy to read your post.

's funny my Goldfinches , adults and juveniles have all disappeared in the last 10 days, the thistles are just starting to throw full flower so no seeds there for them yet. We've seen exceptional numbers of fledglings in the garden this year too.