Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Help .... bees

Default Help .... bees

Help .... we have a swarm of bees - think they're honey bees. Can anyone help or advise what to do?

leave them be........lol. had a swam in my garden couple of years ago, blacked out the garden for 10 mins, then regrouped together into a basketball sized ball high in a tree, then half hour later were gone,

Hope you're right kriklah but think they might have gone into the wall

sent you a pm

Is there a beekeeper out there who can help with this please? Highland Council won't help as the bees as a protected species. Give me a ring on 07522 334561

see if there is a Caithness bee group and get in touch with them

I've spoken to someone in Groats but unfortunately he was unable to come as far as Halkirk

"Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Thanks - they can't help either

a mate of mine had a similar problem and he ended up borrowing a hive in the hope they would use it and if they did he would throw a plastic sheet over the hive and get it removed. They did actually use the hive after a few days and it's sat at the bottom of his garden now and he gets a good supply of both wax and honey now. might be worth a try?
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Thanks Gaz, we're going to give that a go tomorrow

Leave them 'bee' is the best advice.
    I accidentally mowed the top off a hive that they'd dug into my lawn, needless to say when a swarm shot out there was some sphincter action. But they soon went about their business.

I too was in the same boat, didn't have a clue and no one could help as protected.

That was a couple of weeks ago and they've gone now. Apparently the trick is not to breath over them, that sets them off.

Was actually quite fascinating watching them work.

Thanks Phill

Honey bees in the lawn - how very strange - usually the lovely bumble that nest in the ground.

Well, when I say lawn.....
    It was a bit overgrown as we've been having work done and the 'lawn' hadn't been touched this year. More like a rough wasteland but I like to think of it as lawn.

Hi, i am a beekeeper and i would be willing to come and have a look and, if possible, take the swarm away for you. PM me your details if you want me to come?