Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Stabs and wire fences.

Default Stabs and wire fences.

What is the best way to remove a wire fence from stabs that has been nailed with embeddened U shaped nails? Thanks in advance.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

If it is staples you need a hammer and a staple extractor and a pair of gloves lol!!

A proper fencing hammer has a curved prong to lever the staples out and grippers as well . Try the farm supplies by Thurso river harbour.

It's easiest if the fence is still in the ground as a lot of levering about is involved.
    Get a pair of decent fencing pliers (CLB, Geddes, A of G ) and a hammer.
    Locate the pointed end of the pliers behind the staple and hammer the pliers in and round the back of the staple. If the staple comes out a bit, get hold of it with the nipper part of the pliers and lever out by using the curved edge against the stab. Difficult to descibe but not that hard to do. Pliers in your hand will show you best. I wouldn't buy cheap ones as they come loose very quickly and are then useless.
    Sometimes, especially with good quality old stabs, the staples just won't shift and the only way to get on is to cut the wire as close as possible to the staple with bolt croppers. Obviously this ruins the wire but keeps your sanity intact.
    If the staples are good old ones they can easily be straightened out enough for re-use. New staples are complete rubbish in comparison.
    Good luck with the job and I hope the midges stay away!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated. Yes my sanity was being challenged in a cloud of midges
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Come see me!!

The best one I have ever used for extracting staples was a home made tool I made using the finger off a finger mower. You can do the same with an old one off a combine harvester. I still have it kicking about if you need a shot at it.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Delegate. And don`t look back.

Angle Grinder
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."