Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Help.....Internet Explorer 11 problems

Default Help.....Internet Explorer 11 problems

I am having problems with Internet Explorer, with great difficulty in getting onto any website. Everytime I try to open a site a box appears saying that Explorer has stopped working and restarts. Very, very frustrating and annoying. Sometimes even when on a site and trying to open a page within that site the same thing happens. I am running Explorer 11, Windows 7 Premium on a laptop.

I have tried resetting explorer, have done a restore to a previous date but still have the problem. I do not like Google Chrome and would prefer to use Explorer and would be grateful if someone could advise on a solution please.

Thanks

OK a few ideas. When you say you've reset Internet Explorer was that a full reset - if not might be worth a try? Have you tried starting IE without any add-on's (icon for it can usually be found in Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools) to make sure it's not an add-on that's causing the issue. Also have you checked for malware using a tool such as Malwarebytes?

Thanks Bobinovich, ran Malwarebytes and it found almost 200 problems. Been working much better now. Thank you for the advice.

Glad to hear it - I swear by Malwarebytes for removing junk which often comes down on the back of what seems like legitimate downloads. It is free for the basic version but is definitely worth the £20/year license for the full version which can be used on up to 3 PCs.

Many web toolbars and add-ons are often a front for advertising popups - names such as Conduit, MyWebSearch, Funmoods, Babylon, DealPly, iLivid, Searchqu, Incredibar, Iminent, Coupon Printer, Ask, Browser Manager - are all junkware to avoid, or to get rid of if you already have any.

There are also many downloads which look like useful programs/tools - video players/codecs, backup utilities, registry cleaners, system cleaners, fake anti-virus packages etc - but which aren't, or which will appear to work but then require you to pay for the full features - these are best uninstalled or otherwise removed but many, when using their own uninstall programs, will leave bits behind & rarely remove everything - Malwarebytes will often clear off the remnants of these too.

lost count of the number of times I've rolled back machines to IE10 now

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs