Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: identification

Default identification

can anyone ID this bird I have looked on RSPB site and the only one I could find a bit like it was a Serin but they don't live up here. I have 2 male and a female they have been here all winter. they are ground feeders and eat seed and meal worms. the head and most of chest and belly are yellow browny stripe along center of head. the back is brown with flecks of yellow and a gingery bit at base of tail. Pics not very good as taken with phone through window and sun decided to shine so got some reflection on it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bird.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	23766

Yellowhammer possibly
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Try contacting The County Bird Recorder . Don Omand or if you have a fb account post the pic to Caithness Birds, if you have twitter ask for ID #birds

found a photo on the net instead of the drawn picture on RSPB identifier most definitely a Yellowhammer. Only puzzle is whats it doing here all winter shows how warm its been.

Try putting some Niger seed out, if they are around they will love it and you will have every one for miles in the garden. You might also see Siskin and Goldfinch if they are in the area too.
    Warren Dukes
    Vice Chairman Highland 4X4 Response