Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Elizabeth Brims

Question Elizabeth Brims

Looking for info on Elizabeth Brims born about 1792/94 ,Thurso.
    She married James Philip about 1825/30 & live in leith.
    3rd child born William Sutherland Philip ( Greenock ) Not sure if any connection between
    Brims & Sutherland.
    Can't find a marriage for Philip/Brims.
    Any help welcome
    Colin

Hi Colin and welcome, from scotlandspeople , Elizabeth Brims born August 7 1791 at Thurso Parents Donald Brims and Margaret Gerry. Sorry I can't find a marriage for Elizabeth and James, I hope this helps, Flora. just found, on freereg, a marriage for Donald Brims and Margaret Gerry, 25 Jan 1789 at Thurso, grooms Occ' weaver his abode Thurso brides abode Scrabster, Witt' Andrew Brims and George Sinclair
    Last edited by flora; 07-May-14 at 22:51.

Hi Flora
    Thanks for the welcome & the info.
    Was aware of the birth in 1791 but cannot work out the connection!.
    William/Sutherland ,name of Philip 3rd child suggests a Sutherland connection somewhere, (Why not Brims or Gerry?)
    ie Brims /Sutherland marriage .
    Sutherland/Philip Marriage!
    maybe info in Kirk session somewhere!
    Regards Colin

Hi Colin, why do you think your Elizabeth was born Thurso ?, because there's Elizabeth Brims born Watten 6 April 1790, her parents are Henry Brims and Janet SUTHERLAND, I think this one makes more sense. this info' from freereg, Flora

Hi Flora
    on the 1851 census in Greenock Elizabeth Phillip ,Born Caithness,Thurso
    Haven't sighted the 1861 to verify yet.

Hi Coin, thank you, can you give me the names of your William's siblings, I put a search in on scotlandspeople with William Sutherland Phillip, parents James and Elizabeth and got a hit 1834 Greenock but it wont accept Brims for Elizabeth, this maybe that her maiden name wasn't given , then with the same info and no child's name this gave me three hits for Renfrew, your William = Greenock Renfrew and two others James and Robert both born 1822 @ Abbey Renfrew still will not accept Brims for Elizabeth. If these are William's siblings this would suggest Elizabeth's father was either James or Robert if they followed the Scotish naming pattern, to complicate things even further there is a James Phillip born Leith South 1796 Father Robert Mother Mary. Flora.

Hi flora
    James Philip was born Leith 1800 to James Philip & Mary Bell.Cant find his marriage to Elizabeth Brims about !820/30.
    The first 2 children were James & Robert Bell Philip born Leith about 1830/32.(can't find birth records for either).The 3rd & last child
    William Sutherland Philip was born Greenock 1834.(mothers name recorded as Brooms).Dialect maybe!
    When Robert Bell Philip married in 1859 Inveraray his mothers maiden name recorded as Brims.
    When William Sutherland Philip married in Glasgow in 1854 he named one of his children ( recorded as ) Elizabeth Broom Phillips 1857!
    On Elizabeth Philip's Death cert in April 1868 she is recorded as being 75yrs old.(widow)
    I have no info on her husband James Philip (ship Carpenter) Not on censuses.Most likely died at sea!
    Colin

Hi Colin ,I fear we are on a road to no where!!, I looked for them in 1841 census, if this is them and the ages for the boys fit, there is no husband/dad James. Elizabeth 40, James 11, Robert 10 and William 7, living Renfrew this means this Elizabeth was born 1801 I know they rounded ages up in 1841 but 1801 seems a bit odd. I found this on scotlandspeople and familysearch, I haven't seen the original, it's not on freecen. Where did Elizabeth die?. Flora

Hi Flora
    James Philip had either died or was at sea in 1841.On 1851 census in Glasgow Elizabeth Philip was Widow.
    She died in Liverpool in 1868. I think Elizabeth may have been older than the censuses suggest and 75yrs at
    death is more realistic.
    One theory is she may have been married twice.
    What about ---James Philip(Phillip,Philips,Phillips) Married Elizabeth Sutherland (nee Brims)Her 1st
    husband may have been William Sutherland.
    Colin

Hi Colin, sorry for the delay , I have sent you a P M. Flora.