Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Tracking Down the Budges

Default Tracking Down the Budges

Greetings all. I am new to this forum. I have been doing research on my Budge line for some time and seem to have hit "the wall". I think I have gathered as much information as I could possibly get for free online. I have visited several of the Scottish geneology sites and have been fairly impressed with several. Until I am able to actually make a trip to the parishes in Caithness, I think research by proxy will suffice.

I am currently searching for information on my direct family line going back to 1655.

Not sure what the etiquette is for posting personal geneology, but here is mine:

Stephane Anthonie Budge (born 06-20-1984 in California)
    son of
    Pascal Joel Budge (born 4-22-1962 in Utah)
    son of
    Rayo Beck Budge (born in Utah)
    son of
    Newell Rayo Budge (Born 12-19-1903 in Paris, Idaho)
    son of
    Ezra Taft Budge (born 08-23-1870 in Providence, Utah)
    son of
    William Budge (born 05-01-1828 in Lanark, Scotland)(came to the US on the "William Tapscott" from Liverpool in 1860 via New York)
    son of
    William Budge (born 08-15-1791 in Edinburgh, Scotland)

son of (And this is where things start to get foggy as it relates to brothers and sisters of my direct relatives)

William Budge (born aprx 08-02-1738 in Watten, Scotland, died unknown, married Ellen or Helen Meiklejohn, marriage date in unkown)
    ---they had only one child, apparently

son of
    John Budge (born in 1703 in Houstrydun, Scotland, died in 1768, married Jannet Bain born in 1708 in Toftingall, Caithness, married 21 Nov 1728)
    ---they had 9 children
    ----Christian Budge born in 1729
    ----Isobell Budge born 1730
    ----Christian Budge born 22 Feb 1730
    ----Alexander Budge born 1732
    ----John Budge born 1734
    ----James Budge born 1736
    ----David Budge born 1739
    ----William Budge born aprx 2 Aug 1738 (my direct ancestor)
    ----Donald Budge born 1740

son of
    John Budge (born in 1677 in Thurso, Scotland, died unknown date, married Isobell Budge born 07 May 1682 in Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland, married unknown)
    ---they only had one child apparently

son of
    John Budge (born 13 Mar 1655 in Watten, Scotland, died unknown, married Christian Clarke born unknown, married unknown)

son of
    John Budge (born unknown, died unknown, married Katharine Polson born unknown, married unknown)

I am looking for any information anyone might have about siblings or spouses of any of these individuals, including spouses of my direct ancestors. Lots of gaps to fill in.

Hi welcome Stephane
    Is your tree online anywhere.
    I am sure all the US line is correct and you have confirmation that William b Edinburgh 1791 is yours. If so then yes he is son of William Budge and Helen Meiklejohn m 1770. They had at least 9 children between 1772 and 1794 some born Caithness and some born Edinburgh.
    John Budge and Janet Bain had at least (some dates diff to yours! - do you know where you found yours)
    Baptisms 22 Feb 1730 BUDGE Christian Caithness-shire Watten John Houstry Dun Janet Bain
    Baptisms 07 Apr 1732 BUDGE Isobell Caithness-shire Watten John Houstry Dun Janet Bain
    17 Feb 1734 BUDGE Alexander Caithness-shire Watten John Janet Bain
    Baptisms 11 Apr 1736 BUDGE John Caithness-shire Watten John Houstry Dun Janet Bain
    Baptisms 02 Aug 1738 BUDGE William Caithness-shire Watten John Knockglass Janet Bain
    Baptisms 08 Aug 1742 BUDGE James Caithness-shire Watten John Toftingall Janet Bain
    Baptisms 10 Mar 1745 BUDGE David Caithness-shire Watten John Toftingall Not clear Bain
    21 Aug 1748 BUDGE Donald Caithness-shire Watten John Janet Bain

Note that some trees on various sites eg ancestry have wrong data for some of this family.

Default Awesome!

Tricia,

Thank you so much for your help. I got most of my line from familysearch.org. Not willing to trust just one source, I have researched in other sources (online) as much of my family tree as possible. As you say, I am 100% positive that my line from William Budge born in Edinburgh 1791 to myself is accurate. I have information for all of his kids.

Getting the correct information for all of the others has proven more difficult.

I greatly appreciate the information about John and Janet's children. Is there any way to match up these children to spouses? From what little I have seen of parish records, it is difficult to tell who is who (as there isn't a whole lot of information about parents) when it comes to marriages.
    Last edited by stephanebudge; 14-May-14 at 02:26.

Hi
    FREEREG http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/Search.pl
    has lots of Caithness Births and marriages. More being added from time to time.
    a lot of Watten is on there . and often shows Witnesses and Abode which can be very useful. Witness often being family.

eg I just did this : "Search performed in: BAPTISMS for Surname = budge Forename = john Date = 1738 +/- 10 County = Caithness-shire "
    and it came back with 13 records .. then a case of looking at each one.

I have a History of the BUDGE family written by Ralph Budge 1983.

Quote:
    "but by common tradition it is affirmed by all that know the family that they are descended of the family of Macdonald and that the first of this family that came to Caithness fled thither for slaughter and changed his name from Macdonald to Budge.

also see http://www.fionamsinclair.co.uk/gene...Toftingall.htm

I will see what else I can find and perhaps someone else looking in here can help.
    Tricia
    My great grandmother was a BUDGE from Wick, Caithness and her line go back to Caithness confirmed c 1680 in Keiss with and Andrew Budge.
    Difficult to get further back with this.