Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: You Have Company ............

Default You Have Company ............

does anyone know what it means if a message comes through the computer speakers saying 'you have company'? initially i thought i must have new e:mails but nothing has been sent!

Have you tried your messenger service?

messenger service? what does that mean?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240063

I'm not too techy minded but above is a link for your information. Mine was installed for me when I bought this 'puter and I only used it to communicate with a few people. Quite good fun but can be a nuisance sometimes although you can tick a box to say you are offline even when you aren't!

I haven't used it for a long while now.

Of course, maybe that is not what your alert is about at all but it is interesting all the same!

Quote Originally Posted by jinglejangle View Post
    does anyone know what it means if a message comes through the computer speakers saying 'you have company'? initially i thought i must have new e:mails but nothing has been sent!
    AOL instant maessenger uses this when one of your "buddies" comes on-line so you can chat/ignore them. But as all messenger services are nothing but virus spreaders best to switch them all off!
    Last edited by maidencaithness; 10-Mar-07 at 18:45. Reason: typo

Thanks to those who replied - problem now sorted - it was the buddies list that needed switch off.

id put my money on spyware,adware or a virus....id get some decent software to scan for it if i were you....for all you know it could be listening to your keystrokes and sending them off to a remote server

EDIT----------------------
    just seen last note....nothing wrong with been a bit paraniod is there?? lol
    Marylund2323
    A car is a vehicle, A bike is an extention of the soul