Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: bird that sounded like a car horn

Default bird that sounded like a car horn

I know very little about birds but I heard a funny bird that sounded like a car horn. It had a black head but it seemed to have some white on it. It chattered away and did the car horn thing twice. It was up on the electric wires and quite far away and it flew away so I didn't get a good look. I have never heard anything like it and so I googled it. The bird that came up was a white winged widow bird and I looked at a Youtube video of one, sounded exactly the same. Surely it couldn't be though?

What make of car?

oh dear - these are the taunts I have received from my family who think I was imagining it!

Magpies are very good mimics, could it be one of them?

ye probably something like that!

few years back i was walking to the back of my truck to open the doors for a delivery when i heard a reversing bleeper. It startled me and i quickly looked for the reversing truck.....needless to say the local birdlife had learned to mimic the reversing bleeper having heard it numerous times daily..
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"