Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Why are you voting No?

Proud to be British.

Not ignoring it Rob just knackered and you know what, when you say " And what about this issue...." I have to think about it, research it and it's usually more than one sentence to reply fully. Sometimes posts are quite long enough.

There is quite a bit of work going on about devolving power both within and out with the Scottish Government. Various meetings have taken place in Island and rural communities around Scotland about that very issue which have been instigated and include ministers and others from the Scottish Government. In addition the Electoral reform society has looked at different ways of governing an independent Scotland through a series of workshops going back over a year ago. You rattle on about the SNP but the Green Party have shown their plans for more local responsibility and the SDA I think, support a more Swiss style democratic policy.

You know what though, it costs money to pass out budgets and decision making from the centre. We currently do not have the wriggle room within the Scottish budget to afford the costs of more local decision making. If We are having to spend the money we get on a Community Jobs fund ( which works better than the UK's shabby effort, on paying everyone's bedroom tax, on mitigated the effects of council tax benefit changes on capital projects to create jobs, then we cannot afford to pass bits of it out to local authorities...

As far as KNOWING a fairer society will be delivered, look at what is happening in Scotland today with the work thAts being done to mitigate the effects of welfare reform. to ensure free education, to keep free prescriptions. These things have been prioritised now. Some will be enshrined in the constitution of a new Scotland - if we can do these things now then we can do more with independence. There are no guarantees, no utopia, no land of milk and honey just an opportunity, a priceless, once in a lifetime chance to do something better. Whether we take it and what we do with it is up to us - the voters, the people of Scotland. Are you really going to refuse to take that opportunity?

The key to making ANY of the changes you talk about is control over taxation and spending. We do not have that now, we WILL have it with Independence. That's it really.

Runt... That's the best reason there is to vote NO and really the only one I truly understand.
    Last edited by squidge; 06-May-14 at 14:14.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Not ignoring it Rob just knackered and you know what, when you say " And what about this issue...." I have to think about it, research it and it's usually more than one sentence to reply fully. Sometimes posts are quite long enough.

There is quite a bit of work going on about devolving power both within and out with the Scottish Government. Various meetings have taken place in Island and rural communities around Scotland about that very issue which have been instigated and include ministers and others from the Scottish Government. In addition the Electoral reform society has looked at different ways of governing an independent Scotland through a series of workshops going back over a year ago. You rattle on about the SNP but the Green Party have shown their plans for more local responsibility and the SDA I think, support a more Swiss style democratic policy.

You know what though, it costs money to pass out budgets and decision making from the centre. We currently do not have the wriggle room within the Scottish budget to afford the costs of more local decision making. If We are having to spend the money we get on a Community Jobs fund ( which works better than the UK's shabby effort, on paying everyone's bedroom tax, on mitigated the effects of council tax benefit changes on capital projects to create jobs, then we cannot afford to pass bits of it out to local authorities...

As far as KNOWING a fairer society will be delivered, look at what is happening in Scotland today with the work thAts being done to mitigate the effects of welfare reform. to ensure free education, to keep free prescriptions. These things have been prioritised now. Some will be enshrined in the constitution of a new Scotland - if we can do these things now then we can do more with independence. There are no guarantees, no utopia, no land of milk and honey just an opportunity, a priceless, once in a lifetime chance to do something better. Whether we take it and what we do with it is up to us - the voters, the people of Scotland. Are you really going to refuse to take that opportunity?

The key to making ANY of the changes you talk about is control over taxation and spending. We do not have that now, we WILL have it with Independence. That's it really.

Runt... That's the best reason there is to vote NO and really the only one I truly understand.
    Ok thanks, you make your point and are obviously passionately pro seperatism and I accept and agree with your desire for a fairer society, which I feel is at the heart of your choice to be pro seperatism : I wont trade insults "You rattle on..." personally speaking, the greens are nothing politically speaking

I'm pro independence Rob. Separating Scotland from the rest of the UK would need an earthquake. And as a Lancashire girl rattle on is no insult it is simply a word. I rattle on all the time and not just about independence. BTW it's 3pm and we still have no answer.

I'm pro independence Rob. Separating Scotland from the rest of the UK would need an earthquake. And as a Lancashire girl rattle on is no insult it is simply a word. I rattle on all the time and not just about independence. BTW it's 3pm and we still have no answer.
    Fine, lost in translation lol. All the best, as I said, I share your desires for a more equal and fairer society, if the vote is yes, well I live with it, actually the day after yes will be when the real big issues will kick in. Interestng time between now and the vote and very interesting times ahead if its a yes vote.

I find if you work harder, life gets fairer. There is no real trick to it.

I wish it was that simple too.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    I find if you work harder, life gets fairer. There is no real trick to it.
    hmmm, been working hard all my life up until recently when i realised there was no point in knocking your pan in because there is always someone else slacking and leaving you to do all the work...fair? i think not!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    hmmm, been working hard all my life up until recently when i realised there was no point in knocking your pan in because there is always someone else slacking and leaving you to do all the work...fair? i think not!
    perhaps it was not hard enough, the work that is
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    perhaps it was not hard enough, the work that is
    The work has always been hard and i've always worked hard, i wouldn't be where i am in life now without doing so. You are more than welcome to try working hard, putting in 14 -16 hour days and often longer, in your own business and see where it gets you. As for the slackers, they didn't last long.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

The work has always been hard and i've always worked hard, i wouldn't be where i am in life now without doing so. You are more than welcome to try working hard, putting in 14 -16 hour days and often longer, in your own business and see where it gets you. As for the slackers, they didn't last long.
    What's work ethics got to do with reasons for voting No? My main reason for voting is because Squidge , weeboyagee and Rheghead are voting yes allegedly
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    What's work ethics got to do with reasons for voting No? My main reason for voting is because Squidge , weeboyagee and Rheghead are voting yes allegedly
    it was originally a reply to Ducati's post #106

I'm still on the NO side until i see positive proof that Scotland and it's people will be better off as an independent country.

it was originally a reply to Ducati's post #106

I'm still on the NO side until i see positive proof that Scotland and it's people will be better off as an independent country.
    I watched Scottish questions today, I can't normally catch it but plenty of convincing argument that Scots will be better off remaining in the UK.

Failing that, listen to the people that create the wealth, pretty unanimous it would seem.
    Last edited by ducati; 07-May-14 at 17:29.

you dont need to tell me about any of the above, 4am starts and 10pm finishes etc
    W.A.T.P.

What's this? A who works harder contest? It doesn't really matter how hard you work. Life has a way of surprising you - sometimes good surprises, sometimes horrid surprises.... You could fall off a horse/motorbike/ladder and break your back! Then have to wait 6 days and counting for some professional help from an increasingly stretched health sector. You could find your marriage breaks down and you suddenly have no home, no furniture, no money and three children to look after - hard work isn't always the key to fairer society or even personal success.

What's this? A who works harder contest? It doesn't really matter how hard you work. Life has a way of surprising you - sometimes good surprises, sometimes horrid surprises.... You could fall off a horse/motorbike/ladder and break your back! Then have to wait 6 days and counting for some professional help from an increasingly stretched health sector. You could find your marriage breaks down and you suddenly have no home, no furniture, no money and three children to look after - hard work isn't always the key to fairer society or even personal success.
    Maybe not, but it doesn't happen without it. If you work hard you can Insure to mitigate most of the above. In fact if you don't take responsibility for your own insurance, then you can hardly complain about a basic service you receive.

None of this however has anything to do with why you are voting no. Remind us again will you?
    Last edited by ducati; 07-May-14 at 20:20.

Maybe not but it has EVERYTHING to do with why I'm voting YES.

Maybe not but it has EVERYTHING to do with why I'm voting YES.
    You are voting yes so you don't have to work hard? Good luck with that!

Don't be obtuse.

Don't be obtuse.
    Try the cool car thread for a bit, it might cheer you up.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast