Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 182

Thread: Why are you voting No?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default Why are you voting No?

    It has been said by a couple of people on here now that No voters are too scared to vote yes.

    Perhaps we should enlighten them. Careful what you say though boys and girls, we wouldn't want to upset anyone.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    8,201

    Default

    Back in the 60/70's I was a fully paid up card carrying member of the nationalist party, but I lost faith in them during the 1970 Election campaign, the dirty tricks that were pulled by the Edinburgh Area was unreal, it sickened me of nationalist politics from then on. I see no difference today in the tactics that were played back then. So I will and have always been a committed NO voter since.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Because first and foremost I am proud to be from the United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland and I wish to remain that way.
    Secondly there are far too many questions that have remained unanswered and potential problems that remain unresolved.
    Thirdly I believe the fatman is on a power trip and to hell with the repercussions.
    .
    W.A.T.P.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Because first and foremost I am proud to be from the United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland and I wish to remain that way.
    Secondly there are far too many questions that have remained unanswered and potential problems that remain unresolved.
    Thirdly I believe the fatman is on a power trip and to hell with the repercussions.
    .
    My thoughts to the T.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    See the first part I absolutely understand - to love Britain and want to stay United makes utter sense. It's exactly the same with those people voting YES who believe that Scotland is a nation in its own right and as such should have its own government. The second part I understand too, it is personal as to whether there are enough answers or answers that address your particular issues. That will depend on each individuals critical issues and will be different for each of us. The Alex Salmond thing I don't get, there is a poster thing doing the rounds which shows a man talking to a wee lassie and he says "I voted NO cos I hated Alex Salmond" and she says "Who?" Alex Salmond is transient and will pass into history either way.
    Whee did I say i hated the man?
    I said he is on a power trip and does not care about what is left afterward, all in my opinion.
    Also it was the third and least important factor in my decision making.
    Not that it was a tough decision to make, took roughly 0.3 seconds to decide.
    W.A.T.P.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Not Wick
    Posts
    1,693

    Default

    I'm voting no because I am not 100% satisfied Independence is right for Scotland. Rather a no vote and we stay part of the UK than a yes vote and it all goes tits up.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Eh Hem...

    Quoting Colin from the Reason Day thread:


    "Both posts weren't what was asked for and therefore going off topic and trolling. If you want to start a "No Reason Day" thread then feel free, I'd be happy to delete any Vote yes posts from that thread".

    Cheers
    Colin
    Last edited by ducati; 23-Apr-14 at 13:51.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    802

    Default

    I want to vote NO because i don't see answers to the economic future and well-being of my country from the current Scottish Parliament.

    But, and it's a big BUT! (no, not kardashian style either....tch tch really...)

    I so want to vote YES because i feel it is right for the country and right to at least have a go on our own.

    .....and stick two fingers up to the rest of the world.



    Personally i would prefer to see Scotland independent of the UK AND the EU. The last thing i want to do is vote yes for independence and then get the country brought down by joining the EU again. I reckon if Salmond was toting a YES vote coupled with a NO to EU membership, the YES party would be seriously ahead!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    governess
    Posts
    5,250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Eh Hem...

    Quoting Colin from the Reason Day thread:


    "Both posts weren't what was asked for and therefore going off topic and trolling. If you want to start a "No Reason Day" thread then feel free, I'd be happy to delete any Vote yes posts from that thread".

    Cheers
    Colin
    You are absolutely right - i have happily deleted my comments.

  10. #10

    Default

    Im 100% no, cos " I fear the elephant in the room" the unmentionable by all parties actually : and no, its nothing to do with the EU in / out, monetary union / trident : We are not a united nation, we are historically a divided nation, with the bulk of population living in west scotland, holding different beliefs / values amongst themselves which certainly differs from most of the rest of Scotland. I see trouble ahead if the vote is yes : anyone like to speculate where / why they can see the trouble ??

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    do you think it will ignite warfare based on religious bigotry?
    Interesting, its quite possible these folk that believe in mythical characters can be volatile.
    W.A.T.P.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Because first and foremost I am proud to be from the United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland and I wish to remain that way.
    Secondly there are far too many questions that have remained unanswered and potential problems that remain unresolved.
    Thirdly I believe the fatman is on a power trip and to hell with the repercussions.
    .
    That just about sums it up for me.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    do you think it will ignite warfare based on religious bigotry?
    Interesting, its quite possible these folk that believe in mythical characters can be volatile.
    Not warfare per se, but the facts are that a certain % of the west of scotland population see themselves as unionists, another % as Irish / Scots ( seperated by religous divides ) and a certain % non committal either way, and this is in the area of the largest population : nutters make up a certain % of any society, I fear that some folk are not going to be to chuffed that their identities will be taken away, ie made to be Scottish : Im British / European and if its a yes vote I will have to accept that overnight my nationality will change whether I like it or not, my fear is some wont be so, shall we say, accepting of this scenario. Or maybe life will just trundle on with same old apathy ? Or maybe old loyalties and identites will keep pressing on regardless of a yes vote, dunno, but sectariansim is in the here and now, and wont vanish overnight because we are all Scottish, not British. The SNP have had links with loony / extremist elements in the past on the road to where they are now thats a proven historical fact, so maybe,just maybe, loony elements will spring up to protect their identities ! We are not, nor have ever been a united nation, everyone honestly knows the divide in west of scotland and Ive struggled with the notion of an independant Scotland on that very basis....we are not a united nation, thats the fatal flaw as far as I see it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Not warfare per se, but the facts are that a certain % of the west of scotland population see themselves as unionists, another % as Irish / Scots ( seperated by religous divides ) and a certain % non committal either way, and this is in the area of the largest population : nutters make up a certain % of any society, I fear that some folk are not going to be to chuffed that their identities will be taken away, ie made to be Scottish : Im British / European and if its a yes vote I will have to accept that overnight my nationality will change whether I like it or not, my fear is some wont be so, shall we say, accepting of this scenario. Or maybe life will just trundle on with same old apathy ? Or maybe old loyalties and identites will keep pressing on regardless of a yes vote, dunno, but sectariansim is in the here and now, and wont vanish overnight because we are all Scottish, not British. The SNP have had links with loony / extremist elements in the past on the road to where they are now thats a proven historical fact, so maybe,just maybe, loony elements will spring up to protect their identities ! We are not, nor have ever been a united nation, everyone honestly knows the divide in west of scotland and Ive struggled with the notion of an independant Scotland on that very basis....we are not a united nation, thats the fatal flaw as far as I see it.
    To be be fair religious bigotry in Scotland is pretty much exclusive to the Glasgow area.

    The rest of us dont give a hoot about proddy or catholic following.

    Regardless of the referendum result thee will still be religious bigotry displayed in that area.
    W.A.T.P.

  15. #15

    Default

    All parties have had links with the loony/extremist elements in the past - it's the nature of political parties to attract the politically unstable to their ranks. The Tories have had Fascist and right wing extremists, the Labour party have had communist and hard left extremists. Maybe one day the Green party will have Emerald ultra-green weirdos? No nation is a "united" nation; otherwise we would be in a Big Brother scenario, where everybody was forced to think (and vote) the same way. All we can do is accept that we have been given the chance to make our voices heard, weigh the arguments and make our decisions.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    802

    Default

    So why are you voting "NO" again??
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

  17. #17

    Default

    God knows, I was avoiding this thread until it started raining again this morning. At least I have had some success with my other wee debate, after hassling everybody I could think of http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-27143426 I still can't believe that nobody else cares where their TV licence fee goes - maybe nobody else on here is as poor as I am.
    Last edited by Humerous Vegetable; 24-Apr-14 at 15:05.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    13,011

    Default

    I'm voting No because I wear my Union Jack like a football shirt.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I'm voting No because I wear my Union Jack like a football shirt.
    Union flag I think you will find
    W.A.T.P.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I'm voting No because I wear my Union Jack like a football shirt.
    tch...tch.....i suppose you had your Saltire made into shorts and socks then?
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •