Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power outage

Default Power outage

Message from Scottish Hydro at 21:45 tonite

We are currently aware that customers in the Western Isles, Shetland, Orkney, Highlands, Uist, Fort Williams and surrounding areas have lost power this evening. Our control room engineers are currently working on restoring supplies as soon as possible. We are sorry for any inconvenience this is currently causing you.

The org will be quiet tonite!!

On the BBC

Power cut hits north of Scotland

A power cut has left large areas of northern Scotland without electricity.
    The area affected is said to stretch from Fort William up to Lerwick in Shetland.
    The Western Isles and Skye are also said to be among the areas hit by the outage, which is understood to have happened before 21:00.
    Electricity is reported to have now been restored in Inverness, but some rail services to and from the city have been delayed.
    A Scottish and Southern Energy spokesman said it was aware of an issue affecting the network in parts of northern Scotland.
    He said the firm was working to identify the fault and restore power as soon as possible.
    However, he said he did not know how many homes were affected or when the power cut started.

Just a short power cut over here in Orkney, and back on before 10 o clock. But then, we do have more windmills per head of population here than Caithness, so that probably explains it.

On the bright side, it knocked of the "Modern Country" programme on Caithness FM, and we got MFR instead!

Were in Halkirk and the power came back on about 20 mins ago! Was nice to get the candles out and have a blether
    Good-bye may seem forever. Farewell is like the end, but in my heart's the memory and there you'll always be

I found myself having a conversation with Mrs M, she's not a bad sort really.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I found myself having a conversation with Mrs M, she's not a bad sort really.
    Aaw Kevin, the things you have to resort to when married....
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

All these dammed wind turbines came in useful then
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.

I thought that all power generated whether power stations wind turbines etc was fed into the national grid then distributed from there. But I could be wrong

Eck's plan for keeping the lights on in England are looking pretty sad.

i think all them wind turbines are fake im sure i seen them spinning last night and i didn't even have a working light bulb, nothing like having a shower and boom its off

Apparently the fault was at Beauly - someone flicked the wrong switch. SSE gets fined for every minute over half an hour that the power's off for, so I guess all our bills are going to go up again to pay for last night!

Perhaps wee Eck was testing the independance switch last night!!

All that renewable power and sod all worked, bit like the SNP plan

It was windy enough to power turbines last night. Why were 200,000+ homes without power when windfarms are connected to this end of the grid ? Questions need to be asked ! And answered !

GNG
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Have just emailed SSE Networks that very question.

Will post reply if and when I get one

maybe the prob was not what s going into the grid but the way it was coming out ?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Just a short power cut over here in Orkney, and back on before 10 o clock. But then, we do have more windmills per head of population here than Caithness, so that probably explains it.
    I'm intrigued as to where the power you got up there at 10 o'clock came from? Is there a secret power generating station buried in some hillside that's hush-hush and accessed on a need-to-enter system? or have you all got mini steam converters in your back garden or shed that burn sheep poo and produce shteam to turn the turbine and generate the electricity? or are you just not letting on
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Just a short power cut .
    A power cut?

We had an "outage," apparently.

Are there still diesel generators on Orkney?

Interesting that no 'cause' has been attributed despite the engineers inspecting the line.

Couldn't have been a malicious wee hacker compromising the system, could it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast