Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Born in Foreign parts

Default Born in Foreign parts

When I first read in 1841 Census that this distant relative was born in Foreign Parts I was rather curious.
    In further Census records it said born in East Indies and Java !
    I now know that she was indeed born in Java, as her mother was out there with her first husband. He served with the Seaforth Highlanders 78th Foot regiment. After the death of her first husband ( a Watten man )
    she then married another Caithness man serving in the same regiment.

I have since noticed other Caithness folk serving out there - and children being born ! Do you have such a relation? It would be interesting to exchange notes.

Trinkie.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    When I first read in 1841 Census that this distant relative was born in Foreign Parts I was rather curious.
    In further Census records it said born in East Indies and Java !
    I now know that she was indeed born in Java, as her mother was out there with her first husband. He served with the Seaforth Highlanders 78th Foot regiment. After the death of her first husband ( a Watten man )
    she then married another Caithness man serving in the same regiment.

I have since noticed other Caithness folk serving out there - and children being born ! Do you have such a relation? It would be interesting to exchange notes.

Trinkie.
    Hi T
    I found a while back an Elizabeth Sutherland b c 1784 in Bermuda. 1841 census in shows born in Foreign Parts. 1861 says Bermuda.
    Elizabeth married one of my CORMACKS from Watten. They married and lived in Co Durham England.
    I often wondered who she could be and could she be from Caithness family.
    Are there records anywhere for the 78th Reg in Bermuda? or indeed births from that part of the world.

Who was your Watten man mentioned above?

Tricia

Hi Tricia,
    The Watten man I referred to is William Ross born approx 1800. He died on the way out to Java.
    I dont know about 78th Reg in Bermuda, the info I have came from a distant relation
    via National Archives.

Trinkie

Here are a couple of links which may be of interest:- http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ire/ross3.htm; and http://bermuda-online.org/britarmy.htm.
    spittalhill

Thank you Spittalhill,
    That's very interesting - plenty reading .
    Trinkie

Yes - thanks - away to read some now