Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Migration

Default Migration

An incredible number of geese just flew over head of Thurso.

I can't but wonder what drives them to undertake such a massive journey each year. I know it's nature but ... heh if evolution works why go they fly so far north when they could breed in the North of Scotland or in the Northern isles.

Isn't nature brilliant.
    Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

I witnessed this awesome sight (thousands of them).

It struck me that there migration obviously coincided with the switch in the air stream to the SW.

Always sad to see them go, I just love the geese and look forward to hearing them coming over the coast with their usual noisy calls again in Autumn. Had a small flock go over yesterday headed north west so Iceland next stop I'm thinking.
    There are quite a few Greylags who don't migrate see them all year and it won't be too many weeks before they have goslings in tow.

Bird ignoramus here - I presume they head north (where?) for the summer and come back before winter hits. Do they stay in the UK or go further south (where?) Cheers

Default Yeah....

Geese are Arctic breeders.
    The various species that winter in the UK primarily come from Svalbard, Iceland and Greenland.
    The trigger for their annual migration is the length of the day.

We are surrounded by Arctic seabirds that have managed to adapt enough to permit breeding here,
    eg kittiwakes, fulmars, Arctic skuas, guillemots, razorbills, puffins, Arctic terns, etc.

It is difficult for us to comprehend, but the North Pole is the centre of their world.

Some of the geese that breed in Canada migrate to more southerly latitudes than the UK, but in the Americas.
    The same is possibly true for the Siberian breeders wintering in Asia.

A fascinating book is "The Winter Birds" by M. Ogilvy. I got a copy for very little on ebay......

Quote Originally Posted by sprint95m View Post
    Geese are Arctic breeders.
    The various species that winter in the UK primarily come from Svalbard, Iceland and Greenland.
    The trigger for their annual migration is the length of the day.

We are surrounded by Arctic seabirds that have managed to adapt enough to permit breeding here,
    eg kittiwakes, fulmars, Arctic skuas, guillemots, razorbills, puffins, Arctic terns, etc.

It is difficult for us to comprehend, but the North Pole is the centre of their world.

Some of the geese that breed in Canada migrate to more southerly latitudes than the UK, but in the Americas.
    The same is possibly true for the Siberian breeders wintering in Asia.

A fascinating book is "The Winter Birds" by M. Ogilvy. I got a copy for very little on ebay......
    Thanks for the info. Will try and get the book - it's not on Amazon so will try EBay. Cheers

About 100 geese flew past the Staxigoe coastline northwards 30 mins ago. Isn't this a bit late ?
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

There were quite a few feeding up last week and depends where they have over wintered. there are still some Whooper Swans that have n't left the county. All down to wind speed, direction etc.