Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Yes Scotland' Promises Explained

Default 'Yes Scotland' Promises Explained

There is a lot of talk from people who intend to say No to independence on the lines of

'Salmond will tell you anything to get your vote'

'SNP gives us all the empty promises'

However, in reality, it is the aspirations of the Yes Scotland campaign which are completely in line with the rest of northern Europe. It is the rest of the UK that is anomolous and is sitting in the bottom of the league tables in democracy, renewable energy, education standards, health care, proportions of public to private business, high rail charges, childcare, university fees.

If you are thinking of voting No in September, take a read at this webpage. See what you are voting for.

The ambitions of an indy Scotland are not unrealistic, they are completely normal and what we should have in place.

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourking...-thats-bizarre
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I don't want aspirations.

What? Are you dead? You don't want aspirations? What does that mean?

I want consistency

Ok - For whom?

And you honestly expect anything to change other than who will represent us in a smaller country which judging by a lot of the drivel being spouted and miss leading information bandied about, might as well be called Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    There is a lot of talk from people who intend to say No to independence on the lines of

'Salmond will tell you anything to get your vote'

'SNP gives us all the empty promises'

However, in reality, it is the aspirations of the Yes Scotland campaign which are completely in line with the rest of northern Europe. It is the rest of the UK that is anomolous and is sitting in the bottom of the league tables in democracy, renewable energy, education standards, health care, proportions of public to private business, high rail charges, childcare, university fees.

If you are thinking of voting No in September, take a read at this webpage. See what you are voting for.

The ambitions of an indy Scotland are not unrealistic, they are completely normal and what we should have in place.

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourking...-thats-bizarre
    An interesting read. It shows that London and the south east are creating conditions ready for seperation. I wouldn't be surprised if Greater London becomes an independent city state by the middle of the century.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    And you honestly expect anything to change other than who will represent us in a smaller country which judging by a lot of the drivel being spouted and miss leading information bandied about, might as well be called Cloud Cuckoo Land.
    Examples of misleading info?

As I said, the promises of the Yes Campaign are on a par with what is a reality in the rest of northern Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Ok - For whom?
    For me, who else?

The sets of statistics that vary from one side to another both of which seldom stand up to closer scrutiny.
    The assertions that things will change, to use the vernacular "Aye right."
    This constant banging the drum for renewables. I would be impressed if the turbines were manufactured here, installed by scots and created real jobs for local people rather than just for ground workers and the odd service engineer when completed, with foreign firms creaming off all the subsidies that tax payers provide.l
    I am tired of any one other than the indigenous people being blamed for all the country's woes.

I see the same problems looming over the horizon with regard to who gets the lion's share of any monies, The Central Belt will merely replace London and the south east, that's simple when you take into account what proportion of scots live in those two cities.

Okay I'll admit that I'm older than a lot of folk on the forum and have been around the block more times than I care to remember which might just account for my cynicism.

The sets of statistics that vary from one side to another both of which seldom stand up to closer scrutiny.
    The assertions that things will change, to use the vernacular "Aye right."
    This constant banging the drum for renewables. I would be impressed if the turbines were manufactured here, installed by scots and created real jobs for local people rather than just for ground workers and the odd service engineer when completed, with foreign firms creaming off all the subsidies that tax payers provide.l
    I am tired of any one other than the indigenous people being blamed for all the country's woes.

I see the same problems looming over the horizon with regard to who gets the lion's share of any monies, The Central Belt will merely replace London and the south east, that's simple when you take into account what proportion of scots live in those two cities.

Okay I'll admit that I'm older than a lot of folk on the forum and have been around the block more times than I care to remember which might just account for my cynicism.
    The constant banging of drum for renewables is wholly justified. Renewables are becoming cheaper and fossil fuels are becoming dearer. In fact onshore wind is one of the cheapest forms of energy which will make bills cheaper. That is good news for me and you.

Climate change is the No.1 threat to our environment and civilisation. Scotland's coastline and fauna is already bearing the brunt of rising global temperatures due to fossil fuel burning.

So although you may be getting tired of hearing about renewables, they are the best thing we've got to help the little birdies that you love to go out to see, unless you want to live in a cave.

Come to think of it, a lot of those in Scotland who are opposed to wind farms bang on about how little the rUK has in the way of renewables, the rUK relies on Scotland's rich resource of available wind, wave and tides to satisfy international law. The tory backbenches relish in this so that their country piles don't sit in view of a wind farm!!

However, independence will readdress this imbalance. Under EU targets and other international agreements, the rUK will have to go through a renewable revolution of their own to catch up with Scotland otherwise they will default on their agreements. That means by voting Yes, you can make sure that there will be more wind farms alongside English country houses which means less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Think of it!
    Last edited by Rheghead; 25-Mar-14 at 16:05.

Thanks for posting some good info there Rheghead. We have the chance this year, to become a better place, managed by the people that care about us.
    The Scottish Government is investing heavily at the moment on our children, our future, making sure that Scotland is ready to become a world leader in every sense of the word when the time comes. Having the foresight to embrace change when it comes, will make us a thriving country. Theres only one way to ensure this happens....

Latest poll puts the Yes Campaign just 7% behind the No Campaign.

The gap is closing gradually as the No's scaremongering steadily gets debunked.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politic...hift-1-3350563

Come to think of it, a lot of those in Scotland who are opposed to wind farms bang on about how little the rUK has in the way of renewables, the rUK relies on Scotland's rich resource of available wind, wave and tides to satisfy international law. The tory backbenches relish in this so that their country piles don't sit in view of a wind farm!!

However, independence will readdress this imbalance. Under EU targets and other international agreements, the rUK will have to go through a renewable revolution of their own to catch up with Scotland otherwise they will default on their agreements. That means by voting Yes, you can make sure that there will be more wind farms alongside English country houses which means less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Think of it!
    Wrong. There are way more windfarms in England and Wales than Scotland. The SNP, while banging the drum for renewables, are completely commited to extracting every last drop of oil from the North Sea. Bit of a having cake and eating it, don't you think?

Latest poll puts the Yes Campaign just 7% behind the No Campaign.

The gap is closing gradually as the No's scaremongering steadily gets debunked.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politic...hift-1-3350563
    Dont worry, the economic argument is unravelling fast and no-one will vote for being poorer.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Wrong. There are way more windfarms in England and Wales than Scotland. The SNP, while banging the drum for renewables, are completely commited to extracting every last drop of oil from the North Sea. Bit of a having cake and eating it, don't you think?
    Not according to per capita there isn't, and that is where it counts. UK has 12 times more people than Scotland.

The oil is sold on a global market, the SNP have little to do with it I'm afraid. But Yes, I agree that they should keep it under the North Sea.

I am not against renewables, what I said annoyed me was the constant banging the drum and the assurances about the jobs it produces for Scotland.
    Funny though when at last there will be turbine blades etc being manufactured again that Siemens are putting all the investment into sites in England and not Scotland.

I am not against renewables, what I said annoyed me was the constant banging the drum and the assurances about the jobs it produces for Scotland.
    Funny though when at last there will be turbine blades etc being manufactured again that Siemens are putting all the investment into sites in England and not Scotland.
    Hear Hear Lizz
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

well jobs are being made in Scotland, I don't see the problem. 4500 construction and 580 regular northern Scotland jobs were assured last week on the Beatrice field.

Did the UK government favor Siemens going to England? Makes me wonder!

You are a whisker away from joining up the dots.

I'm not going to ask how many wind farms you have objected to.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast