Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaelic Classes for Parents of Gaelic Medium, Croilleagan and Early Years children

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Default Gaelic Classes for Parents of Gaelic Medium, Croilleagan and Early Years children

Bithidh clasaichean Gàidhlig a' toiseachadh ann an Inbhir Theorsa airson parantan!!

Gaelic Classes will be starting in Thurso for parents!!

If you are a parent, or know of parents of children either in Gaelic Medium education in Thurso, attending Gaelic Nursery or Early Years, or who are intending their children to attend any of these, please let them know and ask them to get in touch at gàidhligannangallaibh@gmail.com

Classes will start very soon and will aim to compliment and support the current learning programmes in Thurso at GM and Croilleagan education centres.

Another great Gaelic Learning opportunity here in Caithness!!

WBG

Alternatively you could teach them something useful. Why are you wasting your time on a dead language? Surely it would make more sense to teach people something useful - you know, something that they are actually likely to use.

We already have a common language in this country. Can you explain that there is to be gained by trying to introduce another?

Quote Originally Posted by luskentyre View Post
    Alternatively you could teach them something useful. Why are you wasting your time on a dead language? Surely it would make more sense to teach people something useful - you know, something that they are actually likely to use.

We already have a common language in this country. Can you explain that there is to be gained by trying to introduce another?
    I guess that's the disadvantage of using a discussion forum for announcements or adverts.

You get unsolicited opinions.

I couldn't agree more. I mean why would you want your child to learn Gaelic? It's not as if it's a popular spoken language anyway. Unless the child wants to learn the language then that's different. Why don't people learn to realise Gaelic is a dying language. Let it die out gracefully. I used to work with a chap from Stornoway and his first language was Gaelic and trying to understand his spoken English was awful. I couldn't understand a word he was saying. No disrespect, but I thought he was actually Welsh.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Weebeegeebee is typical of the garlic mentality that wants to force its hobby onto the whole population. They use government legislation to ram it down the throats of our children as well as down our own throats. They complain when freedom fighters shoot holes in their objectionable street signs near Wick airport. It's sheer hypocrisy.
    Last edited by crayola; 22-Mar-14 at 18:21.

Is this the Gaelic class which was supposed to start in September to support the parents of Gaelic medium pupils? Ach well at least it is starting before the teacher leaves at the end of the school year.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

What a bunch of moaning turds are on this forum.

Nobody is forcing anyone to go to the classes (or read the topics).

Some of you lot really need to get a grip. It would appear that some of you aren't happy unless you're greeting about anything.

Force it down the throats of our children?Crayola, did you forget that parents can exercise choice over where their children go to school? No one forces people to send their children to a Gaelic school!

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Force it down the throats of our children?Crayola, did you forget that parents can exercise choice over where their children go to school? No one forces people to send their children to a Gaelic school!
    Parents cannot exercise choice of where their children go to school. There are some children who live in Halkirk, for example, who are not allowed to go to their local school. The reason why? Because Highland Council will not fund extra staff to accommodate these children at their local school. Highland Council chooses instead to waste money on Gaelic schools, classes and road signs. Crazy!

You are right, sometimes the choice is limited but children are still not being forced to go to Gaelic school are they? Is there no demand for the Gaelic school - is that why you say it's waste of money?

You are right, sometimes the choice is limited but children are still not being forced to go to Gaelic school are they? Is there no demand for the Gaelic school - is that why you say it's waste of money?
    The demand is miniscule in the whole scheme of things with some parents choosing to put their children to Gaelic schools because they have much smaller pupil to teacher ratios. Children attending Gaelic schools are also treated to free transport to school by taxi. The cost of teaching a child in a Gaelic school is much higher than in a conventional primary school. Where's the equality in that?

No, it's a waste of money because it's a dead language and will never be mainstream. More people speak Klingon than gaelic (and Klingon at least has a word for "computer"). If Highland Council were to fund Klingon schools, I assume you'd be wholeheartedly in favour then?

I decided not to send my children to a Gaelic school. I was quite keen but hubby wasn't. I don't agree it's a dead language. It is a language that some people speak and people want to learn so it's not dead. The demand might be small but, as opposed to Klingon, it is a Scottish Language, we should encourage its growth because it adds to the rich tapestry that is our society. Why does something have to be mainstream to be deemed to be worthwhile? People must want their children to learn it or they would not fill the Schools. I would happily see as much money spent on Scots language promotion as there is on Gaelic and hear Scots, Gaelic and English taught and spoken regularly.

In my opinion for what it is, this is a waste of time,money, and resources. It's just another ploy to split us from the rest of the UK , Gaelic is a minority language , and always will be.
    Last edited by golach; 23-Mar-14 at 15:36.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Mmmmm.., Gaelic is such a living language that the mainstream internet translation sites don't list it and can't/won't translate it.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

I think diversity should be celebrated
    You get what you give

I'll believe it's a real language when I see Gaelic magazines on the top shelf in the newsagent shop.

Very true. We could teach our kids how to be sour faced, opinionated gits with nothing better to do but hijack a perfectly legit post. GET A LIFE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Very true. We could teach our kids how to be sour faced, opinionated gits with nothing better to do but hijack a perfectly legit post. GET A LIFE!!!!
    Oh dear - someone is very grumpy (dare I say even more sour-faced than I?) that someone else has injected some common sense into this thread. C'est la vie!
    You know it speaks volumes that you never picked up on the positive aspects of my post ("teach people something useful") or were able to answer the questions, but then no garlic-lover has ever been able to.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Highland Council chooses instead to waste money on Gaelic schools, classes and road signs. Crazy!
    This is why a Yes vote on the 25th of September make so much sense. Highland Council will be relieved of their perceived obligations to provide Gaelic signage in a predominately no Gaelic speaking area, and such signage requirements can be left to the government of the Peoples Republic of Orkney, Shetland and the Western Isles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast