Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicknames: What's yours?

Default Nicknames: What's yours?

As an aside, isn't it strange how (almost) every Caithness persons' nickname ends in 'a' or 'ey'? Or at least it sounds like it.

So do dogs' names - happens the world over.

(apart from "Rover" and "Rex", of course)

p.s. Is the "u" meant to be missing from "stupidity"? - is that the joke?
    (bit like: There are three types of people in the world - those that can count, and those that can't)

Quote Originally Posted by mareng

p.s. Is the "u" meant to be missing from "stupidity"? - is that the joke?
    (bit like: There are three types of people in the world - those that can count, and those that can't)
    No. But when I noticed, it seemed terribly apt. Right about the dogs by the way. Though mine used to be called Frunobulax, a poodle.

Heh... it does seem rather apt, dunnit?

At school I was called the most rude names ever. I daren't repeat them on a 'family' board.

Now I get called Red. I dyed my hair red before my 20th birthday back in January, and have kept it red since. Mind you, was called Gemma today - but that's not my name

mareng, there are only TWO types of people in the world - those that divide the world into two types of people, and those that don't.

There are basically two types of people.
    'Glass half empty' people and 'glass half full' people. I belong to the 'glass half full type', the majority of Caithnessians seem to belong to the 'glass half empty' type.

Anyway, back to topic, I luckily escaped having a nickname bestowed upon me.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    'Glass half empty' people and 'glass half full' people. I belong to the 'glass half full type', the majority of Caithnessians seem to belong to the 'glass half empty' type.

Would you care to expand on your philosophy.
    Nicknames are seen as a sign of popularity.

You try telling that to the ones who were called fatty and the likes .......thankfully I never earned a nickname
    Live life to the full, you only get one chance so make it count
    dont be to happy coz someone sure to shoot you down

My nickname at school was Budgie.. luckily I left it at school too!

Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Mandy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Julia
    My nickname at school was Budgie.. luckily I left it at school too!

Budgie eh? LOL - I'll have to remember that one!

But there are the "Container at 50% capacity" types.

I agree with my mate from the Glebe, Whats your philosophy and how did you arrive at it?
    an my nick name whilst in the RNR was the Poison Dwarf

Golach
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

jjc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber
    Nicknames are seen as a sign of popularity.
    Well that’s slightly worrying because my nicknames generally went along the lines of ‘English <insert expletive of choice here>’… I wonder if I’ve been wrong all these years and they were simply being affectionate.

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    I agree with my mate from the Glebe, Whats your philosophy and how did you arrive at it?

Golach
    Glass half full people seem to be optimistic and immediately see the positive in most things.
    Glass half empty people immediatly see the negative in most things. Someone who calls themselves 'the original grumpy old man' should understand this.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I dont think there was a single person in our class at school that didnt have a nick name, it was either a completely different name (usually cheek of some sort) or their own surname with an "er" or "ey" at the end. Come to think of it, if you listed all the proper names of the people I was at school with you'd be met with a blank stare, mention a few nicknames and then I'd remember.
    .::Zael::.

"I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code."

I'm a realist. If I'm drinking from the glass then it's half empty. If I'm pouring in to it then the glass is half full. If it's not my glass then I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by ©Amethyst
    Heh... it does seem rather apt, dunnit?
    What are you implying, Red?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie
    I'm a realist. If I'm drinking from the glass then it's half empty. If I'm pouring in to it then the glass is half full. If it's not my glass then I don't care.
    Makes sense!
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Im a glass half full person - or at least i try to be!

Nicknames were usually around how erm "curvy" i was. I hated nicknames.

Quote Originally Posted by "Rheghead.[/quote

Golach
    Glass half full people seem to be optimistic and immediately see the positive in most things.
    Glass half empty people immediatly see the negative in most things. Someone who calls themselves 'the original grumpy old man' should understand this.[/quote]

The question I asked was....Whats your phillosophy and how you arrived at it? Not an explanation of your original statement. I fully understand the half full / half empty glass theory.....But I cannot understand how you arrive at your point that Caithnessians all submit to the glass half empty theory.
    I spent a lovely weekend in Thurso last weekend so I have now renewed my roots and I am sorry I was not able to be at the eyeball in Wick. And I found all I spoke to more than optomistic, so once again how do you reach your opinion
    Golach
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast