Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottish General Election.

Default Scottish General Election.

Some people seem to think a vote for independence is a vote for a particular political party, it's not. it's a vote for Scotland's future.With a yes result there will be a Scottish general election in 2016 and whatever government is formed they will then, and only then, start talks with Westminster regarding shared asset's and debt's. At this stage all rhetoric will turn to reality,so if anyone is looking for answers just now you won't get any because Westminster won't talk........yet.

To say a vote for Scottish independence is not a vote for Scottish Nationalism is something of a leap.

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    ...With a yes result there will be a Scottish general election in 2016 and whatever government is formed they will then, and only then, start talks with Westminster regarding shared asset's and debt's...
    I'm sure you posted that on another thread recently and I recall that Squidge corrected you in that cross-party talks with Westminster (and most likely the EU too) would start straight after a Yes vote in September, and continue through to the election in 2016...
    Last edited by Bobinovich; 09-Mar-14 at 00:16. Reason: Realised I'd cut ff too much of the original quote...

Yes Bob that's right.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    To say a vote for Scottish independence is not a vote for Scottish Nationalism is something of a leap.
    SNP is the Scottish National Party, not the Scottish Nationalist Party, big difference.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Talks will start right after a yes vote. What I was trying to say was that after the 2016 election it would be a fully elected Scottish Government doing the talking.

...in 2016 and whatever government is formed they will then, and only then, start talks with Westminster
    Talks will start right after a yes vote.
    Theres something about everything that the Yes camp say that makes me wary. Just can't quite put my finger on what it is though....

Just like any campaign people are trying to make sense of what they read and hear. In the same way as some who believe NO vote is the right action because they think they will lose their British citizenship, or because they think that armed forces personnel are being denied a vote, or that Standard life are instructing their staff to start packing boxes , people sometimes misunderstand the information that is out there. That's why I like to go back to the law, the actual press release, the white paper.... Then you know what is actually being said or proposed. In this case negotiations will take place between a YES vote and the date of Independence.

And in the unlikely event of a Yes vote in September, when is the 2nd Neverendum to be held? The one where Eck and Nic update us on the outcome of these "negotiations" and ask if we still want to go ahead or not? The one where they tell us that they have been unsuccessful in negotiating a currency union, fast track EU membership, NATO membership, etc, and here is how it is going to be if we vote to go ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Theres something about everything that the Yes camp say that makes me wary. Just can't quite put my finger on what it is though....
    Yes I too struggle to pinpoint exactly where it all goes awry at time with piratelassie. She usually makes such accurate and incisive statements too.
    There are basically 3 type of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant

I wonder how well squidge and piratelassie would fare if Eck and Nic were travelling salespeople, selling double glazing, driveway tarring, roof cleaning or whatever....

"Here doll, just sign this legally binding contract and give us your credit card details. We can't tell you how much the job will cost, what it will entail or when we will actually do it, but just sign the contract anyway. You know you can trust us."

"Oh, and by the way doll, we forgot to mention, theres no statutory 7 day cooling off period where you can change your mind. Once you've signed, you're locked in to the contract."

"Oh, and by the way doll, we forgot to mention, theres no statutory 7 day cooling off period where you can change your mind. Once you've signed, you're locked in to the contract."
    It seems to me then that a Yes vote brings political unity whereas a No vote will perpetuate a politically split Scotland.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

To be honest, to us up here, Edinburgh is so far away it might as well be London, or Brussels. The Weegies might think they have local rule in the event of independence, but up here, we are still going to be ruled by folk a long way away, whether they be English or "Lowlanders". I have no problem with either of these demographic groups, but being ruled from the Central Belt fills me with no more enthusiasm than being ruled from Westminster. This is, I feel, why the "Our Islands, Our Future (Our Oil)" campaign is finding so much support in the Northern and Western Isles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    It seems to me then that a Yes vote brings political unity whereas a No vote will perpetuate a politically split Scotland.
    How do you work that out?

And in the unlikely event of a Yes vote in September, when is the 2nd Neverendum to be held? The one where Eck and Nic update us on the outcome of these "negotiations" and ask if we still want to go ahead or not? The one where they tell us that they have been unsuccessful in negotiating a currency union, fast track EU membership, NATO membership, etc, and here is how it is going to be if we vote to go ahead?
    Anyone know how to do one of those Tumbleweed smileys? You know, the one that people post when there's a deafening silence?

I'm a bit lost on that one too - care to elucidate Reggy?
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Anyone know how to do one of those Tumbleweed smileys? You know, the one that people post when there's a deafening silence?
    Yep, that sure is a deafening silence!

So am I right in thinking then that we vote in September, so an outcome we have no idea on, and once its voted for, thats it, no going back, no matter how badly the "negotiations" go?

I wonder how Russia / Ukraine / Crimea can rustle up a referendum in a matter of weeks, when our lot have taken years, and can't even manage a 2nd referendum to ask us if we want to go ahead or not, post negotiations?

I reckon it's pretty obvious now how Russia can do it.

Flood the country with unidentified armed men, take over key installations, suppress the opposition, organise your own 'referendum'. Bob's your aunty's husband!

Bet Westminster wish they had thought of that before signing paper in Edinburgh.....

I wonder how Russia / Ukraine / Crimea can rustle up a referendum in a matter of weeks, when our lot have taken years....
    Not as long as it'll take the Westminster Tory Government to rustle up their promised referendum on Europe, last I heard it is now planned for 2017, a whole 3 years away yet.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast