Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It is Climate Week

I haven't been to china for many years but I will be honest even 20 yrs ago the pollution there was unbearable for me, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.

Shocking really
    While looking on google getting carried away I came across something similar from late last year.

http://www.instituteforenergyresearc...arth-minerals/

(better get back to work)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.

thought everyone knew that the wind farm industry creates more toxic radioactive waste in one year producing the magnets than all of the United States nuclear power plants produce together in the same timespan and for less energy output too!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    thought everyone knew that the wind farm industry creates more toxic radioactive waste in one year producing the magnets than all of the United States nuclear power plants produce together in the same timespan and for less energy output too!
    Had no idea? I'll take your word for it as I'm not going to trwl the net for hours looking for facts. But how does toxic radioactive waste come from magnet making?

Quote Originally Posted by jax View Post
    Had no idea? I'll take your word for it as I'm not going to trwl the net for hours looking for facts. But how does toxic radioactive waste come from magnet making?
    The process used to extract the ore needed for the magnet gives the by-product of a chemical sludge that has a radiation level roughly 10 times that of normal background radiation. There are all sorts of acids, sludges and chemicals used in the process and mixing any of them is dangerous enough but pouring them all into a lagoon after use is just totally irresponsible. It dries out a couple times a year and the resulting toxic and radioactive dust is spread around and kills all plant, animal & insect life, pollutes earth and water and causes terrible genetic problems in people and livestock that invariably die.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    I see I am going to have to answer this myself.

The answer is NO. Once electricity has been generated and fed into the grid it is impossible to say where it is used. Any organisation which claims to sell only renewable generated electricity is lying. The electricity it sells is the same mix as the electricity sold by all suppliers. Promotion of the sale of grid transported electricity on the basis that it is generated by renewables is therefore deceitful. Promotion of the interests of such organisations knowing that this is the case is...............what? ......... What would you call it?
    I'll put that response into the folder entitled 'Ywindy's Classic gaffs' but too polite to correct, along with with 'there's no Orkney subsea cable' and the 'The wind must have stopped suddenly for an hour all over the UK '
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I'll put that response into the folder entitled 'Ywindy's Classic gaffs' but too polite to correct, along with with 'there's no Orkney subsea cable' and the 'The wind must have stopped suddenly for an hour all over the UK '
    Not like you to be polite Reggy, particularly when it is me, so feel free to correct me. Don't believe I ever said 'The wind must have stopped suddenly for an hour all over the UK ' but if I did don't be too polite to remind me.

The process used to extract the ore needed for the magnet gives the by-product of a chemical sludge that has a radiation level roughly 10 times that of normal background radiation. There are all sorts of acids, sludges and chemicals used in the process and mixing any of them is dangerous enough but pouring them all into a lagoon after use is just totally irresponsible. It dries out a couple times a year and the resulting toxic and radioactive dust is spread around and kills all plant, animal & insect life, pollutes earth and water and causes terrible genetic problems in people and livestock that invariably die.
    Does this refer to the magnet production in America? I can't see that pollution happening in Britain?

Not like you to be polite Reggy, particularly when it is me, so feel free to correct me. Don't believe I ever said 'The wind must have stopped suddenly for an hour all over the UK ' but if I did don't be too polite to remind me.
    You did say that perhaps not word for word but that was your misconception.

You did say that perhaps not word for word but that was your misconception.
    1. Reggy
    2. I said” Don't believe I ever said 'The wind must have stopped suddenly for an hour all over the UK ' but if I did don't be too polite to remind me.”

And you have reminded me. It wasn’t all over the UK and it was only a five minute period. It was in the early days of my watching wind generation on the NETA website and one day there was a sudden downward spike which apparently recorded zero wind for that five minute period. In those days when we communicated like civilised people you explained to me that it had the characteristics of an instrumentation failure which I was able to investigate and indeed adapt my study methodology to compensate for such events. I even gave you credit for that some time later on the org.

We are not born with knowledge, we have to gain it. I had not heard of a subsea grid connection to Orkney and the grid map did not show one. I now know there is a subsea distribution connection to Orkney owned and operated by Scottish and Southern Energy as part of their distribution network. I now know that the downward spike I observed was instrument error. The trick once knowledge is gained is to use it wisely.

The downward spike which indicated a sudden loss of wind energy was put to good use in the preparation of my acclaimed report* “Analysis of UK Wind Power Generation November 2008 to December 2010” http://www.jmt.org/assets/report_ana...ind_syoung.pdf which showed that over the study period and over the defined wind capacity over the defined geographical area:
    “2. There were 124 separate occasions from November 2008 till December 2010 when total generation from the windfarms metered by National Grid was less than 20MW. (Average capacity over the period was in excess of 1600MW).
    3. The average frequency and duration of a low wind event of 20MW or less between November
    2008 and December 2010 was once every 6.38 days for a period of 4.93 hours.”

Useful information which was influenced by learning about instrumentation spikes.

*To date the only criticism of it has been from Reggy, OKC, SiS, and devastatingly from Scottish Renewables who waded in with the damning “What do you expect from someone like Stuart Young”

We are not born with knowledge, we have to gain it.
    That is true but you are over a certain age, you should know from life's experience that the wind doesn't just stop but you were too eager to ignore your own experience but rather obsessively wanted to push your anti-wind agenda despite the evidence and reason.

Subscribe to a renewable energy provider.
    There are about nine blokes all over the roof and sides of my house right now adding solar panels. I am becoming a power station.
    I really hate being bipolar. It's awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    There are about nine blokes all over the roof and sides of my house right now adding solar panels. I am becoming a power station.
    Are they on overtime then? seeing as you posted the reply at 22:15.........

Guess your house will be "Brimming" with electricity from now on then

That is true but you are over a certain age, you should know from life's experience that the wind doesn't just stop but you were too eager to ignore your own experience but rather obsessively wanted to push your anti-wind agenda despite the evidence and reason.
    Absolutely right Reggy, and I should know from life experience that you will always avoid the difficult question, and usually by an offensive personal remark.
    ywy2, take 100 lines.
    "Must try harder to remember there is no point in trying to have a sensible conversation with Reggy.
    "Must try harder to remember there is no point in trying to have a sensible conversation with Reggy."
    "Must try harder to remember th................................

Are they on overtime then? seeing as you posted the reply at 22:15.........
    You're the one assuming George Brims lives locally, or at least in the same timezone...if I recollect correctly from previous posts he is Stateside which would account for the number of folk working on his house at that time!

Absolutely right Reggy, and I should know from life experience that you will always avoid the difficult question, and usually by an offensive personal remark.
    ywy2, take 100 lines.
    "Must try harder to remember there is no point in trying to have a sensible conversation with Reggy.
    "Must try harder to remember there is no point in trying to have a sensible conversation with Reggy."
    "Must try harder to remember th................................
    Please direct the readers to any offensive remarks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12