Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Spring

Default Spring

It feels like the first day of spring here today. Sun is shining. I have a lovely free weekend making stuff and everyone is well in our house for the first time in about a week and a half. My husband is playing the piano and little Fi is singing along. I have opened all the windows and it's chilly but fresh. Heading north next week so hopefully I'll spot some lapwings over the Caithness countryside although it might be a bit early, Gleeber once told me what they were called in Caithness but I have forgotten. Maybe someone else knows and will be able to remind me. What is everyone else looking forward to for spring.

A lovely free weekend eh? well go and enjoy yourself and forget about the org for the weekend. you won't miss it!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Enjoy the sunshine Squidge :-)

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    It feels like the first day of spring here today. Sun is shining. I have a lovely free weekend making stuff and everyone is well in our house for the first time in about a week and a half. My husband is playing the piano and little Fi is singing along. I have opened all the windows and it's chilly but fresh. Heading north next week so hopefully I'll spot some lapwings over the Caithness countryside although it might be a bit early, Gleeber once told me what they were called in Caithness but I have forgotten. Maybe someone else knows and will be able to remind me. What is everyone else looking forward to for spring.
    I saw a single lapping yesterday just outside wick. enjoying being outside too. grad to here your house all recovered!

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    .......hopefully I'll spot some lapwings over the Caithness countryside although it might be a bit early, Gleeber once told me what they were called in Caithness but I have forgotten. Maybe someone else knows and will be able to remind me. What is everyone else looking forward to for spring.
    They're called peewits up here Squidge.

Enjoy your trip North and I hope the glorious weather we've been having continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    They're called peewits up here Squidge.

Enjoy your trip North and I hope the glorious weather we've been having continues.
    Actually in Caithness it's shockets, or shochads.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    Actually in Caithness it's shockets, or shochads.
    Thanks for that Aaldtimer, mine was the "posh" version of the northern lapwing lol. But shochads it is, just like me on a bad hair day.

Lapwings are called Shochad (pronounced shawcud) in Caithness. The other Scots word for Lapwing is Teuchit.

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    Thanks for that Aaldtimer, mine was the "posh" version of the northern lapwing lol. But shochads it is, just like me on a bad hair day.
    Nah, the posh name is the Green Plover! Or, Vanellis vanellis
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing