Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Standard Life

Default Standard Life

Are apparently putting in place contingency plans to re-locate to England in the event of a yes vote and a formal currency and tax union are not established.

That's a fact, here is my comment:

Standard life employ 5000+ people across Scotland (thinking about it, they must be one of the biggest private sector employers) but not only that, they are the biggest customer for business support services in Edinburgh (or they were when I worked there a few years ago) so effect a significant number of jobs in those sectors. These are high value jobs, very few in these sectors are on low wages.

I imagine that they won't be the only employer to be thinking along those lines (particularly in the financial services industry) so, as I think only the most optimistic of commentators think there is any chance now of a currency union, what will the situation be if the first priority of a new Scottish government will have to be replacing lost employment, rather than increasing employment?
    Last edited by ducati; 27-Feb-14 at 09:54.

That's the trouble with the country today, the money people have a goddammed belief that the world revolves around them and that they call the shots, which is mostly true since the politicians are in bed with them anyway. So to Hell with them. Scotland shouldn't get indepenendence just because 5000 overpaid and self important arseholes might be out of a job? Tough titty and good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    That's the trouble with the country today, the money people have a goddammed belief that the world revolves around them and that they call the shots, which is mostly true since the politicians are in bed with them anyway. So to Hell with them. Scotland shouldn't get indepenendence just because 5000 overpaid and self important arseholes might be out of a job? Tough titty and good riddance.
    Well, that was a measured response! Bit of a Kamakazi attitude...but you don't live in Scotland do you?

woh jox, bit heavy on the ordinary guys employed by these company, most of them just clerks, secretaries and telephonists! I think to condemn someone a "self important arsehole" just because of who they work for is totally wrong. as for overpaid the 5000 people 90% of them are probably just on average pay. so I think your comments "tough titty & good riddance" are more than a bit harsh!!!

I don't live in my home country through circumstances beyond my control though I hope to return sometime. My response would still be the same if I lived there.

It's hypocritical of successive UK Governments to support foreign nations that have fought for independence but when it comes to Scotland breaking away they don't.

yeah but it would be best for Scotland mind. Eck said so.

What If RBS leave too? Aberdeen Asset management? When everyone greets about the oil people seem to forget Financial services contributes out next largest chunk of our GDP and employs about 120 000 people.

None of them matter though it would seems in ecks folly
    There are basically 3 type of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant

Now back to reality!!

Standard Life have openly stated that they may move out of Scotland quoting " Our key priority is to continue serving the needs of our 4 million UK customers, wherever they reside and regardless of any constitutional change " So why are they moving out of Scotland then? The currency union and tax affairs will only affect the Scottish customers, not those in other countries. If anything, the company will get tax breaks as Eck claims he will give so it's obvious that it's shareholder pressure that is the driving force behind this planned possible move.

If this company as well as many other companies are planning on pulling out of Scotland and leaving people jobless, all i can say is goodbye and thanks for crapping on the country and should just pack up and go now because it's plain to see that they are only interested in the money and obviously aren't here for the good of the Scottish people.
    Last edited by Big Gaz; 27-Feb-14 at 11:47.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

It's hypocritical of successive UK Governments to support foreign nations that have fought for independence but when it comes to Scotland breaking away they don't.
    how does the government being hypocritical make 5000 Scots working for an insurance company "self important arseholes"! ?

Previous comments aside :-) I totally agree with you. The UK govt are giving hundreds of millions to foreign breakaway countries to help them establish themselves as an independent country but what are they giving Scotland? = HEEHAW!!!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

are you in prison or another institution? because if you are not, then you could come home, nothing is beyond your control. I dint think I could miss out on the vote of a lifetime!

The reality for many organisations and most UK wide, or EU / Global Co's has been to align various sectors of their business to prepare for a realistic eventuality.

Depending on the nature of the service a business provides dictates the laws & regulations surrounding it. If Scotland becomes Independent it may well affect legalities of business and trading, so most Co's now have some dormant / contingency operation if they need to shift operations.

I have been actively engaged in preparing just a contingency so as to ensure no problems, issues or restrictions for various outcomes.

Bear in mind, if Mr Salmond & the SNP put forward a considered business plan with good tax incentives, the shift could be from rUK (and EU) to Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    The reality for many organisations and most UK wide, or EU / Global Co's has been to align various sectors of their business to prepare for a realistic eventuality.

Depending on the nature of the service a business provides dictates the laws & regulations surrounding it. If Scotland becomes Independent it may well affect legalities of business and trading, so most Co's now have some dormant / contingency operation if they need to shift operations.

I have been actively engaged in preparing just a contingency so as to ensure no problems, issues or restrictions for various outcomes.

Bear in mind, if Mr Salmond & the SNP put forward a considered business plan with good tax incentives, the shift could be from rUK (and EU) to Scotland.
    Tells it as it is!
    The companies do have to prepare but moving out before the vote even goes ahead is just crazy. Abandoning staff and offices for what? All good and well if the yes vote happens and Scotland nosedives off Dunnet Head but what if, as Phill says, the shift is from rUK to Scotland? a mass rush to get office space at a now vastly inflated rent? A rush to build new business parks, industrial estates, factories, housing? will there be job opportunities in their tens of thousands?.....we just don't know and neither do the companies deserting us now!. It's shareholder pressure that's forcing their hand now, the fear of the share price collapse and losses of millions of pounds if they stay in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    Tells it as it is!
    The companies do have to prepare but moving out before the vote even goes ahead is just crazy. Abandoning staff and offices for what? All good and well if the yes vote happens and Scotland nosedives off Dunnet Head but what if, as Phill says, the shift is from rUK to Scotland? a mass rush to get office space at a now vastly inflated rent? A rush to build new business parks, industrial estates, factories, housing? will there be job opportunities in their tens of thousands?.....we just don't know and neither do the companies deserting us now!. It's shareholder pressure that's forcing their hand now, the fear of the share price collapse and losses of millions of pounds if they stay in Scotland.
    The reasons or your feelings about them are immaterial. If this should happen and no-one is saying it will, contingency plans, it is just one more negative outcome of a yes vote. (They are really starting to pile up.) It just shows me that people in the know are worried and perhaps are sending a not too subtle signal to voters.

As far as I understand, Standard Life are not going to leave if there is a yes vote. That is not what they've said. They are taking sensible precautions (like most businesses) to prepare for different eventualities.

I don't even know why this is news, other than both sides using it as an empty barrel.

That the same Standard Life which said the same thing in 1997 if we voted for devolution? As Phill said, they will decide on the economics of it all.......as they do in Ireland, and other countries in the world. What they haven't said, I notice, is that they are definitely going "to move out" of Scotland with a YES vote...and have not said they would move out of Scotland lock stock and barrel, in any event........whatever the impression being given by the MSM.

What they have said is " we have started work to establish additional registered companies to operate outside Scotland, into which we could transfer parts of our operations if it was necessary to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bradey View Post
    are you in prison or another institution? because if you are not, then you could come home, nothing is beyond your control. I dint think I could miss out on the vote of a lifetime!
    I'm not in a prison with walls, like everyone else I'm imprisoned by government control and enslaved to pay taxes so that the elite and corporations can benefit from the sweat of my brow, meanwhile they fool us into believing we have freedom and democracy, when in actuality, we don't. However, Scotland has a chance to start anew, even though not much will change initially, the people have the chance to be a driving force for change, instead of being subservient to an outdated English Monarch, her government, and corporations which really don't give a damn about you.

I'm not in a prison with walls, like everyone else I'm imprisoned by government control and enslaved to pay taxes so that the elite and corporations can benefit from the sweat of my brow, meanwhile they fool us into believing we have freedom and democracy, when in actuality, we don't. However, Scotland has a chance to start anew, even though not much will change initially, the people have the chance to be a driving force for change, instead of being subservient to an outdated English Monarch, her government, and corporations which really don't give a damn about you.
    but you won't get to vote! and as you say your imprisoned by government as a tax slave like the rest of us, just like the "self important arseholes" that you bid "good riddance" and "tough titty" to!! unlike you, they will get to vote, all 5,000 of them!

i wont be good riddance from joxville toward standard life and the others though, more a welcome home as joxville is living South of the border. Win Win for joxville as all the jobs will then be in rUK with Joxville
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    i wont be good riddance from joxville toward standard life and the others though, more a welcome home as joxville is living South of the border. Win Win for joxville as all the jobs will then be in rUK with Joxville
    this is true. but the ex employees will join the unemployed of Scotland, as most of the "S-I-A", won't be able to afford to relocate to rUk, or even want to!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast