Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Foodbank tatties

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    I quite happily trade eggs for things although to be fair I do have some sizeable rhubarb plants out the back just no fruit yet. In theory by end of year I should have plenty of raspberrys, blackcurrants,blackberries, gooseberrys and strawberrys along with assorted veggies tatties and of course rhubarb :0))
    Oh! I'll have some soft fruit and gooseberrys but it will be a bit later.

Well you know Rags thats a real shame - I was aware that you are a carer but I have no idea about your financial situation and as I recall it wasnt about "seeing how people on benefit live" but looking at the issues that people using foodbanks face and how we could help to address some of those issues. You would surely have some really useful insights to pass on and as you guys might even have the start of a wee bartering thing going on then it would be really good to look at ways that the Trussell Trust or others could do to extending that. There are some really good sustainable food projects going on all over the UK - wouldnt it be great to see something interesting going on in Thurso.

There were a few really interesting ones in Todmorden and i think Harpurhey, if I remember rightly.
    Last edited by squidge; 23-Feb-14 at 21:02.

See Squidge I live within my means no booze I still afford sky just means I'm frugal and count my pennies ie buy own brand porridge rather than brand names watch the so called deals make sure I buy local veg as its cheap but we eat well house is always warm and trade a few eggs here and there for things which are tradeable. So I'd say with some of your people its not because it can't be done it just requires a bit of effort

And there you have it - some wise words already!

The effort sometimes needs to be backed up with knowledge though and many poeople dont know where to start or have not the confidence to do so. Just think what a difference some of you here might make in just one meeting!!!!Sometimes all it needs is people to share ideas

And jax you could all wear name badges saying "squidge" lol - that might be fun
    Last edited by squidge; 23-Feb-14 at 21:08.

Take packet of seeds read instructions some time later plants grow and voila food doesn't take that much. Mind the digging up here is heavy going

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    And there you have it - some wise words already! The effort sometimes needs to be backed up with knowledge though and many poeople dont know where to start or have not the confidence to do so. Just think what a difference some of you here might make in just one meeting!!!!Sometimes all it needs is people to share ideasAnd jax you could all wear name badges saying "squidge" lol - that might be fun
    I don't think I'd get away with impersonating you.....I'm not that jenned up on politics :-!

Wouldn't want to get linched by Raynor or ducati??!! :O
    Last edited by jax; 23-Feb-14 at 22:13.

Take packet of seeds read instructions some time later plants grow and voila food doesn't take that much. Mind the digging up here is heavy going
    Keeps you fit or....get a pig make your own sausage & bacon when its fin digging

Quote Originally Posted by jax View Post
    I don't think I'd get away with impersonating you.....I'm not that jenned up on politics :-!
    Apparently neither am I

Keeps you fit or....get a pig make your own sausage & bacon when its fin digging
    Actually the chickens do a great job at getting rid of the weeds shame they don't discriminate between the plants I want to keep and the ones I want rid of :0))

I don't think I'd get away with impersonating you.....I'm not that jenned up on politics :-!Wouldn't want to get linched by Raynor or ducati??!! :O
    Lynching is so yesterday you really must move with the times Jax :0))

Lynching is so yesterday you really must move with the times Jax :0))
    Not like me to be behind the times lol I like the old ways

I remember "Smash" used to be part of the weekly shop because that's what advertising and the media pointed us towards as a nutritious alternative to peeling potatoes and when you consider that I worked in agriculture and had tatties in the garden it speaks volumes for the advertising industry for brain washing us. In later life I find that processed food gives me indigestion and a feeling of not feeling good. I have discussed this with Mrs M and after the Six Nations Rugby have finished I would like to try a week or so eating and drinking only unprocessed food and drink to see how it makes me feel. I will report back.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

I'm sure most who use foodbanks would far prefer fresh... Probably more down to food hygiene regulations, health & safety, nice neat package for ease of handling (gotta fit in a box of a certain size)... etc
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Probably just the patronising treatment of some of these do gooders. The great unwashed plebs are not intelligent enough to actually cook potatoes so we'll give them smash and a bit of 'there, there'.
    Then they'll go home to their warm large detached houses thinking they've really done their bit for society.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Probably just the patronising treatment of some of these do gooders. The great unwashed plebs are not intelligent enough to actually cook potatoes so we'll give them smash and a bit of 'there, there'.Then they'll go home to their warm large detached houses thinking they've really done their bit for society.
    make them feel good as they park their £50,000 bmw outside church on Sunday!

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I remember "Smash" used to be part of the weekly shop because that's what advertising and the media pointed us towards as a nutritious alternative to peeling potatoes and when you consider that I worked in agriculture and had tatties in the garden it speaks volumes for the advertising industry for brain washing us. In later life I find that processed food gives me indigestion and a feeling of not feeling good. I have discussed this with Mrs M and after the Six Nations Rugby have finished I would like to try a week or so eating and drinking only unprocessed food and drink to see how it makes me feel. I will report back.
    Yes I find that I get indigestion from processed food, normally buy a pie or something when I've been out shopping as a snack then totally regret eating it as feel Ill :-( ( don't know how people survive eating such crap and for that reason food banks should supply wholesome food. You can make a pan of soup for very little money with fresh veggies & soup mix if you liked.

Also processed food is another reason for the obesity crisis loaded with sugar and salt not good for you at all.

Didn't the PPP and Ormlie Centre offer cooking classes?
    Informal type classes on during the day .... to do cooking basics?... healthy cheap meals that are simple to make, stuff, most people could just throw together and make a meal from.
    Might have imagined it............but thought they either still do those sort of classes or used to do them.
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    I'm sure most who use foodbanks would far prefer fresh... Probably more down to food hygiene regulations, health & safety, nice neat package for ease of handling (gotta fit in a box of a certain size)... etc
    Then, back to the point above, why not just send them round to Tesco to get all the fresh stuff they need? Tesco seem to have no issue with food hygiene regulations, health and safety etc. Pop round to Tesco, fill the basket with 3 days of nutritious and value for money food, hand over the voucher at the checkout, Bob's your uncle!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast