Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Do animal rights come before rights to observe religion

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 90.91%
  • No

4 9.09%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Denmark bans Kosher and Halal meat.

Quite an interesting debate on radio 2 about halal slaughter just now

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bradey View Post
    I totally agree! there is all sorts of tropical "jungle meat" smuggled into the UK , as you say. the hygiene and welfare standards or lack of, will never be fully known! the banning of the slaughter, sale and import of HALAL meat in the UK would be a good step forward. perhaps religious leaders in the UK could be made to understand and accept this, as being better for the animals! but I doubt they will listen!
    what "jungle meat" exactly is smuggled into the UK?
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    You get quite a bit smuggled in from the African continent primates and monkeys along with various other animals eaten out that way

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    water buffalo, monkey, snake meat! I watched an interesting programme about this some time ago!

Did you see Country File on TV tonight. Quite a good coverage of the halal slaughter I thought, very informative.
    So it seems that a lot of the people who eat halal are already accepting stunning before slaughter, as I said.
    And the real problem seems to be kosher meat, they totally forbid stunning of any type before slaughter.
    I wonder if muslims can see that compromise is the way forward to avoid an outright ban.
    And yes I knew that certain ethnic groups 'do not eat the back end of an animal or a fish without scales' and that we are all eating halal meat very regularly unless we are vegetarian.
    So if the method of killing was displayed on the box and not a reference to the religion would that not be better?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234