Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Evening Classes.. Have your say

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Thurso, Alness & Dornoch
    Posts
    14

    Default Evening Classes.. Have your say

    The North Highland College UHI, want you to have your say onwhat evening classes we offer. What would you like to study as an evening class? Would it be leisurely or educational?

    Take our short survey to help us to help you!


    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HX7TCLG

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    802

    Default

    What i would like to see is the college in Wick being used again! A good building just not being used is no use to anyone!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Thurso, Alness & Dornoch
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Yes, it is a shame that the building in Wick is not currently being used. However, with a lack of funding and declining numbers it has resulted in this outcome.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    near Watten
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by North Highland College View Post
    Yes, it is a shame that the building in Wick is not currently being used. However, with a lack of funding and declining numbers it has resulted in this outcome.
    I'm not sure about declining numbers. Enrolment nights at Wick used to see queues around the block. If numbers ultimately did decline then I suspect it was due to the shortage of courses on offer (due to the fact there are only two classrooms).

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luskentyre View Post
    I'm not sure about declining numbers. Enrolment nights at Wick used to see queues around the block. If numbers ultimately did decline then I suspect it was due to the shortage of courses on offer (due to the fact there are only two classrooms).
    these queues might have been due to the fact that at the height of Wick campus being so busy the courses were nearly all free with ILA funding

    a bit like selling something on the org, you ask for a fiver and no-ones interested, you offer it for free and suddenly there's a gamut of folk forming a queue, even folk coming out of camps to join it

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
    these queues might have been due to the fact that at the height of Wick campus being so busy the courses were nearly all free with ILA funding

    a bit like selling something on the org, you ask for a fiver and no-ones interested, you offer it for free and suddenly there's a gamut of folk forming a queue, even folk coming out of camps to join it
    Didn't know Silver Fox was up for a bit of learning?
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    near Watten
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luskentyre View Post
    I'm not sure about declining numbers. Enrolment nights at Wick used to see queues around the block. If numbers ultimately did decline then I suspect it was due to the shortage of courses on offer (due to the fact there are only two classrooms).
    Quote Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
    these queues might have been due to the fact that at the height of Wick campus being so busy the courses were nearly all free with ILA funding

    a bit like selling something on the org, you ask for a fiver and no-ones interested, you offer it for free and suddenly there's a gamut of folk forming a queue, even folk coming out of camps to join it
    That's hardly a fair comparison. There's a huge difference between being given an object and committing to a period of study. I've taught a range of courses in both Wick and Thurso and have to say that the Wick students often showed more enthusiasm and put more into the courses.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by North Highland College View Post
    Yes, it is a shame that the building in Wick is not currently being used. However, with a lack of funding and declining numbers it has resulted in this outcome.
    It is very unfortunate but maybe it could also be what courses are on offer.
    Més que un club

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    78

    Default

    It was purely lack of funding. I know I was there along with loads of others.

    Regards AK
    "The young become the old mysteries do unfold" Bernard Lghner

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    near Watten
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by argyle kid View Post
    It was purely lack of funding. I know I was there along with loads of others.

    Regards AK
    You're right. Sadly Wick college was under-resourced from the start on account of having a paltry two rooms from which to deliver courses. The UHI needs to be held to account for abandoning an entire town.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    wick
    Posts
    4,156

    Default

    Wick college should be reopened. Why should wick people travel to thurso when we have a college sitting here empty. It has plenty of class rooms and disabled access
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    near Watten
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Wick college should be reopened. Why should wick people travel to thurso when we have a college sitting here empty. It has plenty of class rooms and disabled access
    Sadly Fran, it only ever had two classrooms. Everyone knows that Wick college was a token gesture and even that was abandoned by the UHI. It speaks volumes that the "North Highland College" user has gone strangely quiet...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •