Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What Fruit Trees do well in Caithness

Default What Fruit Trees do well in Caithness

Just curious as to which fruit trees grow well and bear fruit here in Caithness

Apples although some years mine fail, gooseberries, red and black currants, blackberries and cherries(usually devilishly sour). That's what I have near Reay. Torrisdale tunnel has other wonders too.

I have some step-over apple trees (to cut down on wind damage) which usually fruit quite well, and a Victoria plum which I planted nearly 12 years ago and is now about 15 ft high, which has never flowered once!!! Soft fruit do really well, especially strawberries and rasps.

I live near Lybster and I have Apple trees, Plums, Pear trees, cherry trees & Fig trees all of which have fruited year after year - in a ruddy polytunnel. If I attempt to grow them outside even in sheltered areas they fail to flower or flowers drop. I have moved a few of them to the back garden and they're already budding but I doubt they will flower so there'll be no fruit. I have kept my favourite varieties in the PT to guarantee fruit.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Check out autumn fruiting raspberries, they were being highly recommended at the local gardening club last month. Have an apple tree that I am fan training on a south facing wall here and it seems to be doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Check out autumn fruiting raspberries, they were being highly recommended at the local gardening club last month. Have an apple tree that I am fan training on a south facing wall here and it seems to be doing well.
    There's a gardening club? Where is this?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/