Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chemical free cleaning

Default Chemical free cleaning

I am trying to get away from using shop bought cleaners. I have bought some white vinegar and bicarb so i can make my own cleaning products. I have also bought essential oils and am going to add these to the vinegar solution to give a nice smell. Have also looked into making air freshener with the essential oils and noted vodka is also required. Do any orgers make their own air freshener, what combinations of essential oil fragrances are good together. What do you like.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by shazzap View Post
    I am trying to get away from using shop bought cleaners. I have bought some white vinegar and bicarb
    Where did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Where did you buy it?
    I got the white vinegar from a web site i found on line. I was using apple cider vinegar but found the white vinegar after searching. Do you want a link.

In what way are ethanoic acid and sodium bicarbonate "chemical free?"

They are safer to use.

I got the white vinegar from a web site i found on line. I was using apple cider vinegar but found the white vinegar after searching. Do you want a link.
    No, I was hoping you would say at a shop. Trying to get my head round buying stuff to put 2 fingers up at the 21st centuary (and the 20th) on a web site.

No, I was hoping you would say at a shop. Trying to get my head round buying stuff to put 2 fingers up at the 21st centuary (and the 20th) on a web site.
    I see. It is hard to find in the UK. You can only buy white malt vinegar in the supermarkets. This is the proper stuff. I have also stopped using Teflon.

Get yourself a Karcher steamer, they have them in Tesco, that will save a lot of cleaning products.

I see. It is hard to find in the UK. You can only buy white malt vinegar in the supermarkets. This is the proper stuff. I have also stopped using Teflon.
    I agree about the Teflon, slippery stuff that!
    Last edited by ducati; 14-Feb-14 at 22:42.

Everything is a chemical. Paranoia at its worst. We'll be advocating aromatherapy and phrenology next...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Everything is a chemical. Paranoia at its worst. We'll be advocating aromatherapy and phrenology next...
    Why have you a big head.

I like citrus aromas...
    But I use a few drops of lavender, tea tree or eucalyptus essential oil in the steam cleaner for their anti bacteria/fungal properties.
    Aroma is a very personal thing...just like one perfume suits one person and not another...
    Best bet is to try a few oils and experiment with a few drops(no more than 5 drops total) at a time on a cotton wool ball(put it on a warm radiator so the aroma is released) until you get a blend you like.
    You can get the most popular essential oils in the chemists..and order ones in the same theme/notes online after giving the mixes a go.
    Or buy or take an aromatherapy book out the library to give you a starting point on blending and the properties of each oil.
    Oh its best to buy little amounts in dark bottles to keep it fresh.
    You might even find a different blend for every room...with dif properties...for dif things...one to cut through cooking smells for the kitchen and something else for the bathroom and something relaxing for the bedroom and super odour eating spray for the inside of trainers etc..plus tea tree oil in conditioner to keep nits at bay (school kids) etc.
    Happy experimenting!
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!

recommend steam cleaning for practically everything - less hassle, sterilising, no contaminants, reduces dust and mites too, much easier to clean every area with one machine.

They are safer to use.
    Safer than what?

Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    I like citrus aromas...
    But I use a few drops of lavender, tea tree or eucalyptus essential oil in the steam cleaner for their anti bacteria/fungal properties.
    Aroma is a very personal thing...just like one perfume suits one person and not another...
    Best bet is to try a few oils and experiment with a few drops(no more than 5 drops total) at a time on a cotton wool ball(put it on a warm radiator so the aroma is released) until you get a blend you like.
    You can get the most popular essential oils in the chemists..and order ones in the same theme/notes online after giving the mixes a go.
    Or buy or take an aromatherapy book out the library to give you a starting point on blending and the properties of each oil.
    Oh its best to buy little amounts in dark bottles to keep it fresh.
    You might even find a different blend for every room...with dif properties...for dif things...one to cut through cooking smells for the kitchen and something else for the bathroom and something relaxing for the bedroom and super odour eating spray for the inside of trainers etc..plus tea tree oil in conditioner to keep nits at bay (school kids) etc.
    Happy experimenting!
    I have ordered some oils on line, but was interested in what others do. I also like the idea of putting some cinnamon in a pan of water on the stove. Would like some ideas for a long lasting idea for bedroom.

Cotton wool balls behind the radiator or you can get ceramic rings that are not glazed so the oils permanate them that you put the essential oils on and they sink into the ceramic and they go on the lightbulb (not sure how safe they are now with the energy saving lightbulbs) or an oil burner which has a tealight in the bottom and a shallow dish on the top(not to be left unattended as a fire risk with a naked flame etc)...all work the same way really ..warmth releases the fragrance round the room! They all need refreshed with essential oils when they stop being noticable.....but cotton balls is the cheapest option with the ability to change the aroma the easiest and safest way!..
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!

I have been thinking about electric tart and oil warmers. Don't want a naked flame.

I agree about the Teflon, slippery stuff that!
    i've never understood how they get the label to stay on the non stick teflon frying pan in tescos

Quote Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
    i've never understood how they get the label to stay on the non stick teflon frying pan in tescos
    DUH!...They use non-stick glue of course.....
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

My gran used to make her own white vinegar. she used a demijohn to ferment the malt mix for a couple weeks then boiled it for a while with a lid on the pot that had a tube running into a larger pot next to it. I was sure it was a still and told her she was making hooch but she was adamant it was vinegar for cooking
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast