Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chemical free cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by big gaz View Post
    my gran used to make her own white vinegar. She used a demijohn to ferment the malt mix for a couple weeks then boiled it for a while with a lid on the pot that had a tube running into a larger pot next to it. I was sure it was a still and told her she was making hooch but she was adamant it was vinegar for cooking
    lol.........
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Though I do have some advice when using the nozzle bit on the stream cleaner..dont get annoyed and write how annoyed you are with it...it takes twice as long if not longer to erase the message in the alphabet/number foam blocks than it does to get them looking OK!
    The dirt removed as it is is horrendeous.......without erasing im not happy messages!
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    Though I do have some advice when using the nozzle bit on the stream cleaner..dont get annoyed and write how annoyed you are with it...it takes twice as long if not longer to erase the message in the alphabet/number foam blocks than it does to get them looking OK!
    The dirt removed as it is is horrendeous.......without erasing im not happy messages!
    You've lost me there Dadie.

I think she means don't use the steam cleaner to write messages in foam children's blocks as its hard to get rid of them.

But I could be wrong :0))

From the time of the posting, I think she has been in Grannies hooch!

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    I think she means don't use the steam cleaner to write messages in foam children's blocks as its hard to get rid of them.

But I could be wrong :0))
    Maybe...........

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    From the time of the posting, I think she has been in Grannies hooch!
    What is Grannies Hooch. I may have to try some.

Nah I was still up to let my old doggie out for her last pee of the night....
    She is getting incontinent and senile and needs out at midnight and again at 7am otherwise we have puddles.
    Quickly typing as I had to let her back in...and the backdoor cannot be left open for her to wander back in otherwise the cat escapes and he isnt allowed out until after his neutering op!
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Gal View Post
    Yes thank you. I have a few links, but more welcome.

Not sure how all this reliance on baking soda et al is "natural and chemical free". According to Wikipedia, this is how you get your natural, non chemically baking soda....

Production[edit]

Main article: Solvay process
    NaHCO3 is mainly prepared by the Solvay process, which is the reaction of sodium chloride, ammonia, and carbon dioxide in water. Calcium carbonate is used as the source of CO2 and the resultant calcium oxide is used to recover the ammonia from the ammonium chloride. The product shows a low purity (75 %). Pure product is obtained from sodium carbonate, water and carbon dioxide as reported in one of the following reactions. It is produced on the scale of about 100,000 tonnes/year (as of 2001).[8]
    NaHCO3 may be obtained by the reaction of carbon dioxide with an aqueous solution of sodium hydroxide. The initial reaction producessodium carbonate:
    CO2 + 2 NaOH → Na2CO3 + H2OFurther addition of carbon dioxide produces sodium bicarbonate, which at sufficiently high concentration will precipitate out of solution:
    Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O → 2 NaHCO3Commercial quantities of baking soda are also produced by a similar method: soda ash, mined in the form of the ore trona, is dissolved in water and treated with carbon dioxide. Sodium bicarbonate precipitates as a solid from this method:
    Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O → 2 NaHCO3

Not sure how all this reliance on baking soda et al is "natural and chemical free". According to Wikipedia, this is how you get your natural, non chemically baking soda....
    You trying to say it's not made by bakers?

I'm not having that!

Production[edit]

Main article: Solvay process
    NaHCO3 is mainly prepared by the Solvay process, which is the reaction of sodium chloride, ammonia, and carbon dioxide in water. Calcium carbonate is used as the source of CO2 and the resultant calcium oxide is used to recover the ammonia from the ammonium chloride. The product shows a low purity (75 %). Pure product is obtained from sodium carbonate, water and carbon dioxide as reported in one of the following reactions. It is produced on the scale of about 100,000 tonnes/year (as of 2001).[8]
    NaHCO3 may be obtained by the reaction of carbon dioxide with an aqueous solution of sodium hydroxide. The initial reaction producessodium carbonate:
    CO2 + 2 NaOH → Na2CO3 + H2OFurther addition of carbon dioxide produces sodium bicarbonate, which at sufficiently high concentration will precipitate out of solution:
    Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O → 2 NaHCO3Commercial quantities of baking soda are also produced by a similar method: soda ash, mined in the form of the ore trona, is dissolved in water and treated with carbon dioxide. Sodium bicarbonate precipitates as a solid from this method:
    Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O → 2 NaHCO3
    I knew that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12