Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Yellow browed warbler?

Default Yellow browed warbler?

I'm starting to doubt this already, but I saw what I thought was a goldcrest flitting through trees at Bilbster, but when it came close I was certain I was seeing a yellow eyestripe, not a crest - also there was a very clean distinct difference in colour between brown upper and pale belly. Has anyone seen one around before?
    Simon

Simon
    Yellow Browed Warbler is a rare passage migrant to Scotland - generally in Autumn so it is unlikely to be what you saw. But I have no suggestions other than goldcrest.

We get warblers with a distinct yellow eye stripe. Usually they hang around in the willow and alder trees from late Spring to September-ish. This winter we still have at least 3 around, maybe because it has been milder and there are flies most days. These birds are Willow warblers, they move around a lot and flick their tails. I think about 4 inches from head to tail end. They are bigger than Goldcrests which we still get in the whins sometimes. About 10 years ago we had 2 pairs of Goldcrests breeding and they seemed to bring off 2 young ones each. They are noisy little chaps when you get too near. I used to have one hanging around the house, it would cling on the harling next to the kitchen window peeping in at me!

Thanks for replies - I still can't think what else it could have been. The things I'm sure of are the size - it was very small, smaller than blue or coal tits-, the distinct yellow eyestripe, the very busy behaviour and the clean difference between a light belly and darker upper. I'm hoping to see it again, Simon