Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'No DSS' Discrimination?

I certainly don't think private landlords should have a scheme of protection linking to benefits payments. Its their house take responsibility to ensure tennants keep within their aggrements, why should government help out for private profiteering? Social housing on the other hand should have more strict guidelines & cheaper rents that go along with it. Perhaps a 3 strike rule & then your right to social housing terminated. How many times do you see good council houses being repeatedly trashed & then the same Tennant gets a new refurbished one? If there were stricter rules, that when they were broken, consequences would follow. The people who do look after them would benefit with an affordable home & reliable landlord. Word would soon get around to respect your home.
    Last edited by jax; 11-Feb-14 at 18:55.

Yes but if private landlords were willing to rent out their property more affordably and in line with council house rents then surely they should get some incentive?
    One of the reasons they need extortionate rents must be to cover themselves if they get a bad tenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Gal View Post
    Yes but if private landlords were willing to rent out their property more affordably and in line with council house rents then surely they should get some incentive?One of the reasons they need extortionate rents must be to cover themselves if they get a bad tenant.
    There is nothing to stop a private landlord reducing rents in line with council to get a Tennant. Why should a private landlord receive a benefit on profiteering on an additional home? Presumably its a business renting out, treat it as one. If the rent received from a property does not cover its own costs then you have your answer.

[QUOTE=Southern-Gal;1069668]Yes but if private landlords were willing to rent out their property more affordably and in line with council house rents then surely they should get some incentive?
    One of the reasons they need extortionate rents must be to cover themselves if they get a bad tenant.[/QUOTE

No, extortionate rents are just down to greedy landlords, end of! There is absolutely no need to ask for more than the current market rent for any letting and there are measures (i.e rent tribunal) to ensure that this does not happen but how many tenants know this and get ripped off?
    Extortionate rents are nothing whatsoever to do with having bad tenants because i'm sure once a landlord is hit by a bad tenant, he sure as hell will try his damnedest to make sure it won't happen again!
    As for not wanting DSS tenants, why do you think a lot of rents are so high in the first place? Knowing full well that the rent asked is higher than the local housing allowance is more than enough to put many DSS tenants off because it means them using part of their benefits to pay towards the rent. On the other side of the coin, i cannot see where some landlords get the rent prices from? plucked from thin air on some houses i see for rent round here. I mean,Come on, £500 a month for a two bed house in Thurso? Even a working family will struggle to pay that amount! We aren't living in Dounreay prosperity times anymore. Get real!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    Thought ASDA wanted to build on Pennyland, not Ormlie? Although there hasn't been anything more on the plans since, i'm sure it won't stop ASDA opening up if they wanted to.
    Tesco should either build now or let the land go and as there is a great need for affordable/social homes in the area then the council should force Tesco's hand.
    Highland Council are so far in Tesco`s back pocket so that would never happen.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

Most lenders for buy to let mortgages have a calculation to see whether its profitable enough to sustain the payments which used to be 125% of the mortgage which is an interest only mortgage then it dropped to 115% followed by 110% then 100% assuming that the landlord would make a profit on the increasing value of the property alas the financial crisis put pay to that so its probably back up to 125% now.

Its just a shame that there is no differentiation between benefit scroungers and the disabled.

Yup, generally back up to 125% of the interest-only amount of the mortgage, plus 25% or more deposit and arrangement fees of up to 2.49% for the best interest rates.

Quote Originally Posted by newweecroft View Post
    Its just a shame that there is no differentiation between benefit scroungers and the disabled.
    Oh there is really. Disabled in extreme cases cannot help themselves, in minor cases, they just need a little helping hand....Benefit scroungers however help themselves and take every helping hand they can get. It's because of this take, take, take attitude that the genuine disabled and unemployed are now suffering at the hands of ATOS. All i hear in the news is how they are deciding that heart-attack victims, blind people, multiple sclerosis sufferers etc etc are being classed as fit to work when they clearly aren't yet NOWHERE in the news have i seen anything about a feckless scrounger being told to get off his butt and get to work after being classed as fit for work by ATOS? figure that one out!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123