Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Alexander Manson (b. 1816 in Thurso)

Default Alexander Manson (b. 1816 in Thurso)

Hello! I am trying to find information on one Alexander Manson, born in Thurso in 1816 to William Manson (1775-1852) and Catherine Brock (1786-1860), according to records that have come down to me. I am told that Alexander was a soldier and was sent to Canada, stationed in Kingston about 1836. Alexander then settled in Canada, and according to the records I have been able to find so far, fathered three children (William Alexander, John, Catherine) by one Isabella McDonald (or MacDonald) who came from Rossshire. From there the records seem pretty clear down to my generation, but I am having a lot of difficulty filling in details about Alexander… specifically with which regiment did he serve? When did he leave Scotland? And when did he die (I'm presuming this happened in Canada, am searching there). I also have questions about Alexander's siblings - he had either 5 or 9 siblings, depending on which source one believes, that may include Donald, Eliza Lamond, Andrew, Christina, William, John, George, Katherine, and Mary. I am beginning to question these names/details as the naming seems uncharacteristic for the time, and wondering if several families have been grafted together, and if so perhaps I have the wrong birth date for my Alexander. I believe Alexander's father William Manson had a brother names Robert (1781-1858) who married a Janet Gunn (1784-1862), and I believe both couple to be buried in Old St. Peter's Church in Thurso (stones 69-71). Any corrections, info or pointers would be most appreciated!

Hello again! Just checking in regarding the above question. I will be in Caithness in May 2015 and would appreciate any pointers that could help me find some more information about my ancestors. Would also be grateful for letting me know how to make an appointment to get into Old St. Peter's Cemetery in Thurso, I would like to photograph a couple of my ancestor's tombstones. Thank you!

Michael,

I had a look on Ancestry, and there is an Alexander S. Manson who served in Canada.

From the record his birth date is approximately 1804 in Thurso, Caithness. The man's particulars are as follows:-

Height - 5 feet 7 inches
    Age at Enlistment - 19 years 158 days
    Complexion - Swarthy
    Eyes - Blue
    Hair - Light
    Form of Visage - Oval
    Born - Thurso, Caithness
    Trade/Occupation - Clerk
    Attestation - Thurso, Caithness. 10 November 1823. Attested for 'limited service'.
    Enlisted by - Colonel Stewart

There is a second record which states his hair colour is dark, rather than light, and that he enlisted at the age of 20, rather than 19.

The first record, from which all of the above details are from, is marked as "3rd Foot Sodiers, Depot". And the second record, which has the alternate details for hair colour, and age at enlistment, is marked as "1st Foot Soldiers, 4th Battalion".

I hope that this is of some help - at least to either confirm, or deny, what you know.

Kind Regards,
    Steven

Michael,

I just did a quick search on the internet, and as far as I can tell, "1st Foot Soldiers, 4th Battalion" may refer to "The Royal Scots". It may provide a starting point for you to continue your research.

Regards,
    Steven
    Last edited by sgmcgregor; 24-Mar-15 at 09:48.

Hello Steven,

Thanks so much for your info and efforts, much appreciated! I had found a portion of this via one of the Ancestry sites, but not as much as you found. I think this is probably not my ancestor as the dates are just too far off. I believe the birth date I have is pretty solid having been confirmed by some microfiche viewing I did on a visit to Wick a few years back, and I do know that Alexander's parents are buried at Old St. Peter's in Thurso. Of course the number of Manson's in the Thurso area has made it difficult to know sometimes if I am on to the right person's records or not! I have also found that records from pre 1850 in Ontario are spotty, and have not been able to find too much there, though I did find a record of the wedding. Perhaps trying to make contact with the National Archive would be a good idea now?

Thanks again, and I will add your info to my folder, always good to get new material!

All the best,

Michael

There are 3 consecutive entries in the Monumental Inscriptions book for Thurso:St Peters which appear to be your family.
    69. Flat stone. Wm Manson weaver 29.3 1852, 77, w Cath Brock 15.9.1860, 75.
    70. Erected by Eliz Manson in memory of parents Wm Manson 29.3.1852, 77, cath Brock 15.9.1860, 75.
    71. Rbt Manson builder 3.1858, 77, w Janet Gunn 5.1861, 79, erected by son Robert, Waterloo, Iowa.
    Regards
    Will
    spittalhill

Thank you Will, I do believe those would be my ancestors!

I hope to be able to photograph their markers, but believe I will need to arrange access to the graveyard at St. Peters as the site is kept locked. Is that correct? If so any pointers to whom I might apply for access would be most appreciated.

Thanks again!

Michael
    Last edited by MichaelRoss; 26-Mar-15 at 18:31.

The graveyard at Old St Peters is no longer kept locked.

There is a gravestone in old St Peters churchyard .erected in memory of Alexander Manson watchmaker Thurso and his wife Catherine Manson...no dates given.Just below is the name of their daughter Catherine who died April14th 1883 aged 72 years..she was interred in the new cemetery in Thurso it states...

PM'd you, MichaelRoss.

Sorry for the delay in responding to all the posts, not had much chance to be on the forum of late.

Thanks very much for all the info, a great help indeed! Looking forward to being able to get into the graveyard this visit and exploring the grave markers.

Thanks again, great to have such a resource available!

Thanks again for all your help here on the forum. I have just returned home from a fantastic trip to Scotland which included a visit to Thurso. Was able to photograph tombstones in St. Peter's, and attend training with Caithness Shinty Club, which took place just a few blocks form where my ancestors had lived in Thurso. Great experience all around!

Always interested in further resources on information as I'm particularly trying to fill in some details re: the Alexander Manson described in the first post, such as regimental affiliation, etc. Thanks again!