Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: "You don’t have a vote, but you do have a voice"

Quote Originally Posted by vanman1 View Post
    my question is why are the english so desperate to keep hold of scotland
    What makes you think they are

cameron and his better together , the mans running scared

I wouldn't say he's running scared he's just not being drawn into a slanging match with the ECKOr he just has other more pressing issues like the southwest of England under water

if hes not running scared why his big speech yesterday. if hes not bohered why waste tax payers money on a speech about it

I am in a quandary tonight, should I vote yes? Now if Eck the omnipotent will guarantee, that the Scotland Rugby team and Hibernian and dare I say the Tic will play much better than they did today, I would give it a serious option.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

if hes not running scared why his big speech yesterday. if hes not bohered why waste tax payers money on a speech about it
    The speech was quite a pathetic plea. I'm glad I'm not English or in England

Why should he debate with a minor politician, Eck is not a Head of State, never see him getting invited to G8 summits, or the like. David Cameron represents the UK
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Also if Scotland does go for independence then the Conservative Party can look forward to winning more elections

Having read a few articles on both HS2 recently I get the feeling that the project is much like independence.

If the Government get their way HS2 will be built at massive cost, but they are so sure that the benefits to the country will outweigh both the cost and any problems encountered, but in reality no-one really knows whether it will be a success until after it is built & has been operating for some time.

Similarly the SNP give the same rhetoric - 'Yes, it's a step in the dark, but trust us and everything will be fine', but no-one really knows what lies beyond a Yes vote...

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    Also if Scotland does go for independence then the Conservative Party can look forward to winning more elections
    Why? Is Scotland massively conservative?
    The Scottish NHS would surely be short of funds?

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Gal View Post
    Why? Is Scotland massively conservative?The Scottish NHS would surely be short of funds?
    If you remove Scotland from the equation which tends to be more left of centre then the Conservative Party would win elections unless there is a massive swing from traditional voting trends

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Why should he debate with a minor politician, Eck is not a Head of State, never see him getting invited to G8 summits, or the like. David Cameron represents the UK
    Cameron is not head of state either, that is the monarch. Neither is Alec Salmond a minor politician, he is the elected head of a nation, Scotland. The leading member of a democratically elected parliament. You may like him or not, that makes no difference to the position he holds. There are many properly elected leaders of nations or heads of states depending on their constitutions that I dislike but I would not denigrate the position they hold.

Can we have a proper discussion without these puerile name calling

Surely Scotland would have its own elections? So then it would be labour?

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    If you remove Scotland from the equation which tends to be more left of centre then the Conservative Party would win elections unless there is a massive swing from traditional voting trends
    They may win more but in the past the Scottish Labour MP's have only enabled one labour government.

Salmon's a third rate politician, a big fish in a very very small pond, blinking heck we're not talking world politics here, The voting population of Scotland is near enough what's carried on the Underground in London - get things into perspective! Old Boris down in London looks after twice the population of this country!

Salmon only got in 'cos folk were jarred off with Labour for goodness sake. Last year the Aberdeen Donside by-election, SNP held on, but with a vastly reduced majority, with a swing to Labour from SNP of 9%, the Dunfirmline by-election labour took the seat from SNP with a 7% swing, the recent Cowdenbeath by-election Labour had a 11.25% (!) swing from SNP to Labour. Duh get the message?,

All this burble of 'running scared'; absolute nonsense, considering that the polls are showing the majority of voters up here don't want indy, are they ALL running scared? AND here we go again yet another bleeding poll on the org - ain't they aware there's been dozens of these on this site? most - apart from those who seem to believe a poll on the forum will be more exact than extensive polls - needs their head examined.
    Night...
    Last edited by bekisman; 08-Feb-14 at 21:47.
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Gal View Post
    Surely Scotland would have its own elections? So then it would be labour?
    Could be but all the 3 UK parties would be freed of Westminster control. I think we would see them all change policies. Hopefully they would change to suit the needs of Scotland & not the SE England as currently.

Also remember Holyrood has been setup or so they thought that not one party would have a majority. The odds are it would be a coalition government. I am not sure how the SNP would fair in a independent Scotland as some, if not a lot of voters would return to their original parties. They may not though as the polls show the electorate seem to happy with how they are running the country, so they may stay with them.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by gerry4; 08-Feb-14 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    All this burble of 'running scared'; absolute nonsense, considering that the polls are showing the majority of voters up here don't want indy, are they ALL running scared? AND here we go again yet another bleeding poll on the org - ain't they aware there's been dozens of these on this site? most - apart from those who seem to believe a poll on the forum will be more exact than extensive polls - needs their head examined.
    Night...

The last 7 polls have shown a swing to the Yes side. All the pollsters say the result will be very close.

if cameron is not worried about losing scotland why is he wasting money on speeches about better together. if scotland is such a drain on the uk economy cameron and party would be happy to get rid of scotland

It really doesn't cost much to make a speech especially if you're prime minister

http://www.wcrf-uk.org/about_us/medi....php?recid=201

Scotland has high statistics for obesity, alcoholism and drug abuse. I know it goes on elsewhere but the statistics prove there is more of it up here, it cant be denied.
    How would it be funded and dealt with? The NHS is currently funded by all the UK tax payers. Are there enough in Scotland paying tax to keep an NHS for Scotland going?
    What if it started to collapse?

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast