Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Referendum 18th September 2014

Default Referendum 18th September 2014

I read on here with great concern the comments made about the Scottish National Parties White Paper on their (S.N.P`s) plans for Scotland`s future in the event of a yes vote.

This white paper is the S.N.P`s plans for what they invisage if they (the S.N.P) are elected as the Government of Scotland in the Scottish General Election after obtaining a yes vote. It is not what the people of Scotland will be voting for on the 18th of September. It is up to the Scottish people to elect which party they think is best suited to govern in our best interests as an Independent Nation.
    I think it disingenuious of all other parties not to have published their own agendas for an Independent Scotland.
    It is about time that all the parties published their own white papers on their future plans for Scotland in the event of a yes vote to level the playing field.

Surely they would do that in the first Socttish general election no? in much the same way I dont expect the SNP to publuihs a manifteso for a no vote seeing as they are activly campaigning for a yes....
    There are basically 3 type of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant

I really don't understand why other parties should have to publish white papers on what happens as the SNP are the only party wanting Indepence. As it is the white paper isn't fit for purpose it leaves more question I.e currency. Europe. NATO. Etc these questions aren't really answered in the white paper and as far as I can see despite Mr Salmonds reassurances non of them are forgone conclusions. Its all very well repeating tired old rhetoric that its all up for negotiation the closer the big vote gets the less Mr Salmond seems to have any of his facts straight on each point he gives assurances and each time more and more people come forward to disagree that his stated position is not as guaranteed as he says it is.

Basically, what it boils down to is that the other Scottish political parties are either not interested or are scared of Westminster. I too wonder why no other Scottish political party has made any effort whatsoever to comment on the independence issue other than to shoot down Fat Eck at every possible opportunity. It worries me that not one party has stated what they will do if independence occurs but what worries me even more is independence actually happening and it all being a one-party (SNP) show. The other parties will be totally lost as none of them whatsoever have made any effort to offer their agenda should it happen. They all seem to be holding back and hoping/waiting for Salmond to hang himself and are ready to step in and fill the void where the SNP used to be and pretend it never happened. food for thought!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Maybe the other parties accept that as a new country then by rights the country would have to have a general election to decide what happens that would be the time to start producing propaganda in the mean time by producing anything, means they think there is a chance of Scotland becoming independent and would be leapt on by the SNP as more fuel for their fire.

What really annoys me is the assertion that if I continue to live here after the referendum and a yes vote , that I become a scot.
    I am not, never will be other than what I was born and bred and proud of.
    My folk looked at this independence and despite having a very large population and the where with all to support ourselves we were not wrapped in a cloak of literature or historical fantasy.
    The world has moved on and my folk went with it, our identity is no longer disputed, our ancient language recognised.
    Whilst we most certainly do not agree with Westminster we sure as heck know how to kick the mother of parliaments as and when we get the chance!

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    What really annoys me is the assertion that if I continue to live here after the referendum and a yes vote , that I become a scot.I am not, never will be other than what I was born and bred and proud of.My folk looked at this independence and despite having a very large population and the where with all to support ourselves we were not wrapped in a cloak of literature or historical fantasy.The world has moved on and my folk went with it, our identity is no longer disputed, our ancient language recognised.Whilst we most certainly do not agree with Westminster we sure as heck know how to kick the mother of parliaments as and when we get the chance!
    if in the event of a yes vote, you and other non Scots become Scottish. does that mean that all the Scots living south of the border become English? could be worth voting for!

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    What really annoys me is the assertion that if I continue to live here after the referendum and a yes vote , that I become a scot.I am not, never will be other than what I was born and bred and proud of.My folk looked at this independence and despite having a very large population and the where with all to support ourselves we were not wrapped in a cloak of literature or historical fantasy.The world has moved on and my folk went with it, our identity is no longer disputed, our ancient language recognised.Whilst we most certainly do not agree with Westminster we sure as heck know how to kick the mother of parliaments as and when we get the chance!
    What? You do not HAVE to become anything. You will remain British, you will still be who you are, have a British Passport and still have your own heritage. You will be a citizen of an Independent Scotland- one of Scotlands people because you live here and will be able to choose to apply for a Scottish Passport, but your national identity is your own! Independence is not about being wrapped in a cloak of literature and historical fantasy either. People are making decisions to vote YES because of what they decide is best for them and their family and future. Some people do believe Scotland should be independent by right and because of its History but is that any less valid than believing that it should remain as pRt of the union because of battles won and the history of a great empire or because someone "feels" british?

No I'd be much happier if we were allowed to be English but alas you can be Scottish, Welsh, Irish, British of any other creed or gender but nowhere on any official document will you find English. Meanwhile everyone else screams for independence thinking that they have a right to be what the consider their birthright is but reality is every Englishman and Englishwoman has been labelled British to keep the rest happ for decades if not longer.Now what I do think would be grand is if Scotland does not go independent it accepts British Law and jettisons Scottish law that way it makes governing the country easier, saves money and makes the whole country one place equal under law wherever you live. Then we could start calling ourselves Uniited Kingdom

I filled a form in this week which gave me the option to be White English. The Daily Express this last few days quite clearly said in a headline that the tennis was a victoryFor the English Team despite it being a british team. It doesnt matter to me. I am quite clearly identifiable by my dulcet lancashire tones as an English woman and that is what I will remain. I may use Scots words and even sometimes murder them but I like being me, im proud of my accent and remain interested in my home town and what is happening there. Living in an Independent Scotland wont change that.

There was a snippet in the Daily Record the other day where Team GB who were playing the USA in the Davis cup were referred to on air as England by the English presenter John Inverdale and it caused such a furore. Apparently only a few complaints came from the Scots but many were from English people phoning in and complaining with one even stating that just because it has Scottish players in the team, why should it be called Team Great Britain.
    I really don't give a hoot where anyone comes from, i accept that the country is the way it is and always have been but when such narrow minded people keep bleating on about the English/Scottish/Great Britain crap and moaning about the immigrants and coloured people who constantly play the race card it's no wonder there is a divide and the UK is in such a mess as it it now.
    Maybe independence will soften this, maybe it will make it worse? we won't know until the end of the year and i for one will vote but whether or not independence happens is irrelevant to me as i will still be a Scotsman living in Scotland until i pop my sannies.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

I will be voting YES.

Further complications of a yes vote, is the General Election in 2015 as Scotland after a yes vote will until the General Election in Scotland in 2016 to decide the Scottish Government. Scottish voters will still be part of the U.K and still be eligible to vote in the General Election to send M.P.s to Westminster. I wonder what the stance of all political parties will be on that issue.

Going by the above posts, people are still of the mindset that the S.N.P.`s white paper is what we here in Scotland are stuck with. Just to make it clear it is not. Scotland`s future direction would be decided by the party elected after the Scottish General Election in March 2016. That is why it is just as important for all other parties to publish their Manifestos for an independent Scotland now. Yes other Political Parties are stating that they want Scotland to stay in the Union, but I and others wait with baited breath to see them shown in their true colours in the event of a yes vote when they are scrambling for election to a Scottish Government.

As for Nationality, no-one will be forced to become Scottish as the dooms

Well that being the case surely its for the SNP to make its point and after the referendum dependent on the outcome the other parties can submit white papers if Scotland should become independent. I think if Scotland votes for independence then expects to still influence the rest of rUk there would probably be uproar south of the border, this is the first I've heard of it and it doesn't seem particularly fair that a country that's just voted itself independent should still be voting in a countries elections its decided to leave.

This issue of the General Election of 2015 will be for the negotiating teams to decide upon after the referendum in September. I dont expect to see any further "whitepapers" or manifestos from any of the BT parties. Ragnar is right, there will be no indication of what the Labour Party, Libdems or tories would like to see in an Independent Scotland unless there is a YES vote. They refuse to acknowledge that it is even a possibility so there is no way we will see any plans.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    This issue of the General Election of 2015 will be for the negotiating teams to decide upon after the referendum in September. I dont expect to see any further "whitepapers" or manifestos from any of the BT parties. Ragnar is right, there will be no indication of what the Labour Party, Libdems or tories would like to see in an Independent Scotland unless there is a YES vote. They refuse to acknowledge that it is even a possibility so there is no way we will see any plans.
    Presumably, what they will want is to get back into the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Presumably, what they will want is to get back into the UK?
    You mean after they realise they won't automatically get entry into Europe under the terms they want,the USA vetos their entry into NATO, the Orkneys and Shetlands launch a bid for independence from Scotland and lay claim to the Oil and Gas and finally the after not succesfully negotiating currency union the Groat is deemed worthless by International Finance markets :0))

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    You mean after they realise they won't automatically get entry into Europe under the terms they want,the USA vetos their entry into NATO, the Orkneys and Shetlands launch a bid for independence from Scotland and lay claim to the Oil and Gas and finally the after not succesfully negotiating currency union the Groat is deemed worthless by International Finance markets :0))
    I suppose that why that paper that advocates Scottish independence every day has said it will have a GDP greater than france & be one of the top 35 exporting countries.

If you want to read the article then http://archive.is/vcQ78

All well and good in the short term but longer term there is this part near the end of that article

Scotland’s fiscal health will also be challenged by the relatively rapid ageing of its population and the long-term decline of oil output from depleted North Sea reserves.

Independence is long term not short term its ok saying wow we will be better off for the next 50yrs but what after that

RR. What will any country be like in 50 years. No one forecast the crash of the banks that started in the US. Did anyone forecast the oil crisis in the 60's. As the article says even without oil Scotland has a strong economy.

Another report forecast that the Pentland Firth alone would provide 40% of our energy needs. In 50 years with improved technology imagine how much more it could produce.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast