Victim claims he was punched and kicked after leaving Wick's Waterfront nightclub

A WICK man, who claimed he was assaulted outside a local nightclub told a court that he required an operation for one of the injuries inflicted on him.
Ryan Malcolm, 22, was giving evidence, at Wick Sheriff Court, today, in the trial of four men accused of being his assailants.
In the dock were Gordon MacNab, 39, and his son Gordon Colin MacNab, 19, both of Albert Street, Wick, Kris Campbell, 22, of South Street, Keiss and Scott Davidson, 22, of Meiklejohn Court, Thurso. MacNab, senior, has entered a special defence of self defence.
The four are alleged, on indictment, to have repeatedly punched and kicked Mr Malcolm on the head and body to his severe injury and permanent impairment, outside the Waterfront nightclub, on June2, 2012.
Mr Malcolm told the jury that the incident took place in the early hours, shortly after he left the nightclub where he had attended a birthday party.
He said that Gordon MacNab, senior, came over to him and punched him in the face. There was a scuffle and Mr Malcolm was punched by Campbell and kicked in the face by Scott Davidson before other people intervened.
Mr Malcolm said that police took him to Caithness General Hospital where he was treated for bruising and a burst lip. He later required surgery for an injury to a cheekbone. That side of his face was numb and he had a ringing in his ears, for a fortnight after the incident.
Mr Malcolm, a Wick plumber, subsequently received a payment from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board.
Questioned by solicitor George Mathers for MacNab senior, Mr Malcolm agreed that he “imagined he would have fought back” during the incident but denied he had started the fight.
Mr Malcom agreed that he had made certain threats on Facebook about which he had been questioned by police, but dismissed them as “empty threats” which had not been carried out.
Mr Mathers suggested that Mr Malcolm was lying and accused him of getting together with his mates to assault Mr MacNab, senior, who had sustained extensive injuries on the night in question and was off work for twelve weeks.
Mr Mathers: “Injuries caused by you”.
Mr Malcolm: “No”
Mr Mathers: “How did he get those injuries?”
Mr Malcolm: “Maybe I was fighting back in self defence after he attacked me”. He denied he had been ejected from the nightclub because his behaviour was unacceptable.
Mr Malcolm said that Campbell had punched him on the back of the head and when asked how he could be sure of that, if he was facing the other way, the witness replied that he assumed it was the accused as there was no-one in the vicinity at the time.
Chef Emma Evans, 20, claimed she witnessed the MacNabs and Campbell hitting and kicking Mr Malcolm who was sometimes on his feet and other times on the ground. Mr MacNab, senior had played a leading part.
Ms Evans said that Mr Malcolm, who was a friend, was bleeding and had a lip “hanging off”.
Ms Evans maintained that Davidson kicked Mr Malcolm in the face but pressed, on oath, by solicitor Fiona Macdonald, she wavered and agreed she could have been mistaken.
The witness initially said that MacNab junior had been involved but when cross examined became unsure and when pressed by solicitor Alex Burn she replied: “I am almost sure he was there...you are making me doubt myself.”
Ms Evans later told the court that she didn’t recall Campbell punching Mr Malcolm.
The prosecution continues today, Wednesday and the trial is expected to last for the rest of the week.