Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Samsung TV switches on and off

Default Samsung TV switches on and off

My samsung TV is switching itself on and off as soon as the power is turned on at the plug.
    I have tried leaving it for a few days as someone said it might be caused by static.
    Any suggestions please.

Hi DL,

There are a few possible causes for this, but as it's a Samsung TV the most likely culprit is bad capacitors in the power supply. It's a very common issue in Samsung TVs.
    If it's under warranty then get it fixed that way, though even if it's out of warranty but only a couple of years old you could still try contacting Samsung as it's a known fault with their TVs, and as such they may fix it anyway.

Hope this helps, sorry it's not a quick fix!

-Graham

Laptop and desktop computer repairs, upgrades & sales
    Call-out service available throughout Caithness or drop off at our office in Thurso
    Tel: 07576 965 508 • www.caithnesscomputers.co.uk • facebook.com/CaithnessComputers

Thanks Graham
    Is this a big job. Would it cost a lot trying to get it done locally. The TV is well past it's warranty, about 4 or 5 years old i think
    Quote Originally Posted by Caithness Computers View Post
    Hi DL,

There are a few possible causes for this, but as it's a Samsung TV the most likely culprit is bad capacitors in the power supply. It's a very common issue in Samsung TVs.
    If it's under warranty then get it fixed that way, though even if it's out of warranty but only a couple of years old you could still try contacting Samsung as it's a known fault with their TVs, and as such they may fix it anyway.

Hope this helps, sorry it's not a quick fix!

-Graham

Quote Originally Posted by dl757 View Post
    Thanks Graham
    Is this a big job. Would it cost a lot trying to get it done locally. The TV is well past it's warranty, about 4 or 5 years old i think
    It shouldn't be a particularly big job, it's just essentially removing the offending capacitor and soldering on a replacement. Unfortunately I don't work with TVs here, just computers, or I'd be happy to help. But I imagine a local TV engineer would be able to do it quite quickly and cheaply.

If you're handy with a soldering iron and would like to attempt the repair yourself, you could confirm it's a capacitor failure by opening the back and looking for a swollen capacitor near the power input. If you see it, that's what needs replacing.

-Graham

Laptop and desktop computer repairs, upgrades & sales
    Call-out service available throughout Caithness or drop off at our office in Thurso
    Tel: 07576 965 508 • www.caithnesscomputers.co.uk • facebook.com/CaithnessComputers

just remember that if its a known report fault by Samsung
    and thus has a service or technical bulletin about issued by them

then under the sale of goods act you have recourse for it to be repaired FOC.

you might even have recourse outside of such manu notified errors

its always worth contacting the RETAILER from whence you purchased it.

they are responsible for any SOGA claims regardless to any warranty or guarantee
    they are in addition to your statutory rights under soga, they do not replace them.

there is also recourse under section 75 of the consumer credit act IF you paid by credit card.

if you took the appliance on credit and it is still running
    there is also recourse via the finance company.

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs