Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: George Georgeson/George and Catherine Moffatt

Default George Georgeson/George and Catherine Moffatt

Looks like I have found a marriage date for them 15th January 1808 at Dublin can't find the births of John or Eliza though.

According to the Watten OPR, John Georgeson / George was born on 11 Dec 1808 in Dublin.

George

Quote Originally Posted by gwh1936 View Post
    According to the Watten OPR, John Georgeson / George was born on 11 Dec 1808 in Dublin.

George
    I transcribed the Watten OPR some years ago and this was a post script in the register

11 Dec 1808 George George who then lived in? Doulen of Ireland and Catharin Mofet his spouse, had a son baptised named John. Before witnesses William Sinclair and John Rob both in? Coik of Ireland. The father being a native of this parish of Watten and County of Caithness and now residing in the parish was desirous of having his son.s name incerted in the Register of Baptisms of this Parish

Rosemary

FREEREF Co-ordinator, Caithness

Rosemary

Does that postscript have an insertion date, or can a date be inferred?

Regards

George

Rosemary

Does that postscript have an insertion date, or can a date be inferred?

Regards

George
    The date in the OPR was 11 Dec 1808 which I would think was the date of baptism not the birth.

Rosemary

The second sentence of the OPR entry indicates that George G. is back in Watten. If we had an idea of this date it would provide a clue as to whether Eliza was born in Ireland.

Regards

George

The second sentence of the OPR entry indicates that George G. is back in Watten. If we had an idea of this date it would provide a clue as to whether Eliza was born in Ireland.

Regards

George
    I would say that the child was baptised in Ireland as it says that George wanted his son's name inserted in the register. I think if the child had been baptised in Watten there would have been the usual entry in the register. I have seen quite a few of the same instances in the Caithness OPRs where children have been baptised out with their parents' "native" parish but their names entered in the parish register. I am also wondering if Coik could be Cork.

Regards

Rosemary

Hi,
    I am looking for a Georgeson relative. I have a John Georgeson who married an Ann George or Georgeson. He seems to disappear and then there is a report in a paper that he was charged with desertion of his family. Just wondered if you'd come across them.

Hello Angusina

I am related tp George George/Catherine Moffatt and they had a son John.

What is the time frame of your John?

Regards

Hi, I have John Georgeson married to Anne Georgeson or George on July 25th 1836. He appears on the 1841 census in Craigstown, Wick with wife Anne, son John aged 1 and daughter Jean. It says son John not born in the county but that John the father was. I found a newspaper report that says a John Georgeson was charged with abandoning his wife and 3 children in Wick. He was charged in Aberdeen but don't know if this is him. I am descended from his son William.