Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Rotterdam Street Thurso

Default Rotterdam Street Thurso

Another question on the history of Thurso for you out there, how and why did Rotterdam Street get its name?
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

I think it s to do with the Dutch ships that traded to Thurso, i also think i read somewhere that those ships took the river weed with them on their hull.s.

Is it not because of the girls dancing in the windows of the street
    W.A.T.P.

Definately the Dutch connection. I remember my uncle Pieter being delighted to revisit Caithness when my parents moved here as he had been on submarine duty during WW2 in the North sea and had been treated to some shore leave from Scrabster. They were entertained in the town hall and many years later he still remembered every detail of the building, the town and the lovely people he and his crew mates met in Thurso.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Thanks for the info
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein