Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Ross/Manson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ross/Manson

I have traced my maternal line back to a Samuel Ross, born circa 1792 in Dunnet, who married Isabella Manson, born circa 1792 in Canisbay. If anyone has any info for this family or knows of any ancestors/decsendents it would be much appreciated

David
    Last edited by davelna; 17-Jan-14 at 14:34.

Hi David, from freereg, at Dunnet, Baptism 15 April 1792, Samuel Ross, Father John Ross Mother Margaret Sinclair, Flora

forgot to say wit George Sutherland, and Donald Calder, also take your pick from these Isabella Manson @ Reay 30 July 1791 F Mr William Manson M Isabella Williamson abode Borrowston, or @ Olrig20 September 1791 F John Manson, M Christian Stephen, abode Olrick? wit Geo Murray and Janet Manson, Ihope this helps? Flora

John and Margaret also had a daughter Susanna born 16.11.1794 at Ham, Dunnet.

John may have been born 18.7.1773 at Brugh, Dunnet, father John Ross. No mother is seen, but I suspect that she could be Ann Allan. John and Ann had another 2 daughters recorded as born in Brugh - Ann on 26/11/1769 and Isobel 2/6/1771 and that timeline fits with John born in 1773.

Regards

Rosemary

FreeReg Co-ordinator Caithness

From scotlandspeople, John Ross married Margaret Sinclair @Olrig 28July 1781, Flora

Thankyou Flora.
    I am a little confused if John married Margaret Sinclair 1781 I think birth date of 1773 does not match up. Or am I missing something?
    Regards
    David

Have established my Gt Gt grandmother was Isabella Ross (1830-1871) daughter of Samuel Ross and Isabella Manson. Isabella, who never married, had three sons all by different fathers!!!. This has made constructing my family tree interesting albeit difficult. Isobella had a sister Margaret Ross (1824-1970) who also had three children outside of marriage but she eventually married the father of two of them William Bain 12/2/1861 in Watten. William Bain,a farmer, was born 1809 in Watten brother of Alexander Bain the famous inventor. I would be interested in hearing from anyone with any of the above in their family tree.
    David
    Last edited by davelna; 19-Jan-14 at 19:29.

Hi there, Alexander Bain was my 4 x Gt Uncle on my mothers side, he did not have a brother called Donald, there were 13 children born to John Bain and Isobel Waiter. Bain is a common name in Caithness and on doing my research I found lots of Alexander Bain's.

Hello, Thanks for the reply. I have made a mistake Margaret Ross married William Bain born 23 Jan 1809 in Watten son of John and Isabel.
    Mixed up with my Gt grandmother Williamina Bain (on the other side of my family)who has a Donald in her side but from East Clyth.
    Regards

Oh dear! now I'm confused , can we start again? Flora.

Sooooooooooooooo, Lets go with the Ross branch Samuel Ross, baptised at Dunnet 15 April 1792, Fathers name John Ross, Mothers name Margaret Sinclair, wit' George Sutherland and Donald Calder, a possible marriage for his parents John Ross and Margaret Sinclair 28 July 1781 at Olrig. in 1841 census from FreeCen Samuel Ross Farmer age 45, wife Isabella Ross ms Manson age 45 ,Elizabeth Ross age 20. David Ross age 14, and Isabella Ross age 11, all living at Wick all born Caithness. If John and Margaret married in 1781 that would make a possible birthdate of 1760 ish, do you agree so far?. Flora.