Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: HP PC Start-up problems?

Default HP PC Start-up problems?

Hi.

Looking for suggestions before I pull my hair out, lol.

I have an HP desktop, model t3725.uk running windows Vista. It was given to me a few months ago and was told it was running fine at that point. Tried starting it up tonight and got the following problems;

I checked all leads etc. to make sure they weren't loose.

It would start up, fans spinning etc. but blank screen and was beeping one short, then one long beep.

I believe this means a problem with the RAM? So I removed 1st stick (2 x 1GB installed) and tried again, same thing same beeps.

I put the first stick back, then removed the 2nd stick. Restarted, same thing same beeps.

I removed both sticks and swapped them over. Restarted, same thing same beeps.

I removed 1st stick again. Restarted, no beeps but screen is still blank?

I unplugged the monitor, waited 30 seconds, then plugged it back in.

Restarted the PC, started beeping again as above??????

I also tried resetting the bios to default (one of the times it started without the beeps) by pressing F10, F5, and enter etc. blind obviously, but still no joy?

I have tested the monitor on another PC and it works fine.

It seems I either get the beeps and blank screen, or no beeps and blank screen?

I'm sure I have a couple of old HP graphics cards somewhere (it just has onboard at the moment), so was going to try installing one of them tomorrow maybe?

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks if you can help?

Cheers.
    Last edited by KILTIECAULDBUM; 12-Jan-14 at 23:54.

Sounds like you've identified the problem correctly - the BIOS beep codes do indicate a memory error, & you've tried the modules independently which would be the usual start to diagnosing the problem. It's very unlikely that both modules have become faulty unless the PC experienced say a power surge due to a faulty power supply. I have a simple plug-in PSU tester if you're in the Thurso area you're welcome to borrow it to test the PSU - that would certainly be my next check.

There's also usually a wee jumper next to the CMOS battery which will perform a hardware BIOS reset - unplug mains power, locate the 10p-sized battery & look for a 3-pin jumper close to it (usually has RST or CMOS etc. in small writing next to it). The jumper will currently link pins 1 & 2, or 2 & 3, so take the jumper off, move it across to the other pair, wait 10 seconds, then move it back to the original pair.

get a paint brush and clean out the memory slot, then clean the memory pins should work then

Hi.

Thanks for the suggestions above.

I have tried what you both said and later fitted a graphics card, but still the same results as before!! The only thing that is noticeable that probably shouldn't be happening, is when I attach the power lead and switch on the PSU at the back, the PC boots up without switching it on at the front? It maybe nothing, but thought it was worth mentioning anyway! The last couple of times now it has started without any beeps (no beeps at all now), but the screen still stays blank?

Anyone any other suggestions?

Thanks again.