Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Future Caithness

If that where the case the house prices would reflect it. In Poole there's a place called Sandbanks it went from being relatively cheap in the 70s because it was on a shingle bank and had huge queues for the ferry to multi million pound properties just because some clever estate agent marketed it as the Monte Carlo of the south. Wait till the floodgates do open and I'm sure they will then you'll see prices rise

I used to think Caithness was a nice place when i was a kid, now though i think it is a grey, cold and baron place with very little opportunity in business or employment, yes there are some things that swing in it's favor but not much if we are honest with ourselves.
    I don't blame any youngster for choosing to live South, generally most who do will be better of for doing so, i don't like saying this as this is where i was born and bred but i think it will become a place a shadow of what it once was and businesses will without doubt throw in the towel, many will be fighting for their existence even now that is clear to see.
    Some are now choosing to live abroad and i know people who have and their quality of life is much better than ours, nothing is going to replace Dounreay, there may be one or two projects that could compensate but no way will it lead to a couple of thousand jobs and that is what is needed to stop the decay!
    Last edited by hopper.65; 23-Jan-14 at 09:43.

I think with the internet and modern communication that things wont ever be as difficult as they were before Dounreay was ever built. Quite a lot of people now have a business that trades on the net and so things are possible now that weren't before. Dounreay probably caused as many problems as it solved as because of it and the big wages big houses were built that take a lot of running and upkeep. Without big wages big houses would never have been built and more modest and easy to keep houses would be more easy to sell on and maintain afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Gal View Post
    I think with the internet and modern communication that things wont ever be as difficult as they were before Dounreay was ever built. Quite a lot of people now have a business that trades on the net and so things are possible now that weren't before. Dounreay probably caused as many problems as it solved as because of it and the big wages big houses were built that take a lot of running and upkeep. Without big wages big houses would never have been built and more modest and easy to keep houses would be more easy to sell on and maintain afterwards.
    what big wages?
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mackay5255 View Post
    By 2030 Rachel Skene's economy changing business idea will have transformed Caithness into a global internet trading hub with a bigger GDP than Amazon's turnover, and the entire population of the county will be packing YouLoveLocal shipments.
    Whatever happened to YouLoveLocal? Was it doomed from the start as was widely predicted at the outset or does a successful remnant remain?

Caithness is still a beautiful place to live, but unless we get some companies coming up here to start, and there is some money invested in the county, i,m afraid as Dounreay and Vulcan slowly disappear and the workers move south for jobs, there will be a lot of empty Houses which will be brought up by the council or Trusts, and filled with anti social behavior order families from down south. then all the people who have brought there homes will try and sell them to get out of it. Hope I am Wrong.

That is a matter of opinion

Quote Originally Posted by andrew k View Post
    Whatever happened to YouLoveLocal? Was it doomed from the start as was widely predicted at the outset or does a successful remnant remain?
    This seems to be the only output. No activity on the Twitter account since 2013.

http://youlovelocal.com/

As many of you will know I'm a Cornish incomer and now retired, I also have white hair.
    I would have liked to have gone back to the county or my birth but it was too expensive and too crowded. I left in search of work back in The 60s so I am well aware of the problems for young folk here.
    It was a considered choice to move to the far north and have now been a resident for nearly 6 years with no regrets.
    I estimate that me and The OH contribute many thousands a year to the local economy so perhaps us white settlers should be encouraged !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12