Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog walking,,,, you don't have the right to walk the golf course

Quote Originally Posted by Bradcon View Post
    only time I would think anybody wanted to take dog across golf course would be at high tide when theres no room to walk on the beach.
    If the tide is in they can walk along the path on the dunes as many do.
    It's not across the course, it's just going for a walk on the course which is not permitted even when the tide is in!

I am going to walk from point A to point B , therefore I can access the golf course.It just so happens that Point A is the First fairway and Point B is the 18th.....Good luck calling the police because someone walked on the golf course!!!
    This message was written using entirely recycled electrons

Quote Originally Posted by amm26 View Post
    I am going to walk from point A to point B , therefore I can access the golf course.It just so happens that Point A is the First fairway and Point B is the 18th.....Good luck calling the police because someone walked on the golf course!!!
    Precisely. A golf course is a long rectangle - start walking at the bottom right and continue to the top left. You have legally crossed the golf course. The standard of golfing though at Reiss you are just as likely to get hit with a golf ball while walking on the dunes. I remember years ago some golfers deliberately taking potshots at people on the dunes.

You're crossing it, but longways!

It surprises me that people wish to intrude on other people's game of golf, but I think the Right to Roam laws are little help to the golfers.

Ignorance in a nutshell
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by riggerboy View Post
    For the ignorant dog walkers that think they have the right to roam along the golf course, you are not and have no right too,

<snip>
    Surely there is enough space for us all in the far North of Scotland to live alongside each other peacefully. If the members of Wick Golf Club have an issue with members of the local community, then they need to do more than post this sort of snide rhetoric on a local forum. Unless riggerboy is their spokesman....??

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    Surely there is enough space for us all in the far North of Scotland to live alongside each other peacefully. If the members of Wick Golf Club have an issue with members of the local community, then they need to do more than post this sort of snide rhetoric on a local forum. Unless riggerboy is their spokesman....??
    No I'm not a spokesman for the club but I am a paying member, and yes there's plenty room so why does the course have to suffer, there's a beach not more than 50 yards away that folk can walk along without causing disruption to folk who pay for the up keep of the course, and why is this a snide rhetoric thread, if it's not of interest to you then why bother to post in it,
    if it wasnt for pubs it would be tescos for us all

Quote Originally Posted by riggerboy View Post
    No I'm not a spokesman for the club but I am a paying member, and yes there's plenty room so why does the course have to suffer, there's a beach not more than 50 yards away that folk can walk along without causing disruption to folk who pay for the up keep of the course, and why is this a snide rhetoric thread, if it's not of interest to you then why bother to post in it,
    Then you need to take the issue up with the Club Committee.

The thread is of interest to me which is why I posted on it.

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    Then you need to take the issue up with the Club Committee.

The thread is of interest to me which is why I posted on it.
    I don't need to take it up with the committee, to air my thoughts on here,
    if it wasnt for pubs it would be tescos for us all

Quote Originally Posted by mackay5255 View Post
    Precisely. A golf course is a long rectangle - start walking at the bottom right and continue to the top left. You have legally crossed the golf course. The standard of golfing though at Reiss you are just as likely to get hit with a golf ball while walking on the dunes. I remember years ago some golfers deliberately taking potshots at people on the dunes.
    Kind of shows the ignorance and selfishness we are up agains where there is a greater willing to contort fact to suit what they want about the meening of crossing or just walking on. Point A and B refer to Right of way and they have to be 2 public places.
    If as you say the standard is so poor at Reiss, wouldn't there be nothing to worry about if they were aiming at people on the dunes?

Riggerboy, Almo I can sympathise with your frustration. I can't understand why any dog walker would need to walk on a golf course when there's masses of space and alternative walks in Caithness.

I used to work on one of the worlds oldest and most prestigious golf course, we used to get lots of dog walkers, tourists and locals walking on and across the course. Members and Staff were always very tolerant and polite to them, in return most did not interfere with play nor leave dog mess behind.Chasing them whilst waving your roaming rights handbook high above your head and screaming at the top of your lungs will merely encourage more of us to take a stroll down the links
    This message was written using entirely recycled electrons

Well, if someone told me not to walk my dog on the golfcourse in the same tone as the first post in this thread, I would be upset and more than likely tell them where to go. But if someone asked me politely not to, I would be more than happy to do as they asked.
    Maybe I'm old fashioned,
    but a little bit of respect goes a long way on both sides.
    Do all members of the golf club have the same aggressive attitude towards outsiders ???
    All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by almo View Post
    If the tide is in they can walk along the path on the dunes as many do.
    It's not across the course, it's just going for a walk on the course which is not permitted even when the tide is in!
    aye they could but think it would be easier at side of golf course.

I used to work on one of the worlds oldest and most prestigious golf course, we used to get lots of dog walkers, tourists and locals walking on and across the course. Members and Staff were always very tolerant and polite to them, in return most did not interfere with play nor leave dog mess behind.Chasing them whilst waving your roaming rights handbook high above your head and screaming at the top of your lungs will merely encourage more of us to take a stroll down the links
    Do You mind me asking the course, just so I get an idea of the course and the number of course staff.
    First reason is because as has been mentioned there is a right to cross a course in the code. Just like those walking the dunes at Reiss, walkers can take the easiest path and come onto the course to cross the burn beside the 16th green before going back to the path. I would prefer if they didn't have to but I accept it as that is part of the code and is a slight price I have to pay for the common good. As pointed out just going for the walk is a different case and not covered.
    Second, I'm assuming on your former course there were paths that the club could afford to maintain and had the staff to do the work. You probably understand there are no paths on WGC and as a small club we can't afford the luxury of that work even though there is no requirement to do so.

We are not the ones in the wrong, we would like to see some consideration shown to us. Not some dog walkers who have been given warnings for not picking up after their dogs on town walks then moving on to the course because they think they can't get moved on.

Rather than go for a walk in deliberate breach of the access code why not obey it like most responsible people do. Or when you see the speed cameras positions posted in the press do you go out and break the speed limit passed them? I doubt it!

Quote Originally Posted by almo View Post
    We are not the ones in the wrong, we would like to see some consideration shown to us. Not some dog walkers who have been given warnings for not picking up after their dogs on town walks then moving on to the course because they think they can't get moved on.
    About three or four years ago, from the top of the big dune I witnessed a golfer go off to the back of the dunes near that little shelter hut there and take a dump (pardon the language). He didn't pick it up or bury it and left tissue papers to blow in the wind.

About three or four years ago, from the top of the big dune I witnessed a golfer go off to the back of the dunes near that little shelter hut there and take a dump (pardon the language). He didn't pick it up or bury it and left tissue papers to blow in the wind.
    Golfers, eh? Never trust them!

What kind of pervert watches a man having a bowel movement?
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by bothyman View Post
    Well, if someone told me not to walk my dog on the golfcourse in the same tone as the first post in this thread, I would be upset and more than likely tell them where to go. But if someone asked me politely not to, I would be more than happy to do as they asked.
    Maybe I'm old fashioned,
    but a little bit of respect goes a long way on both sides.
    Do all members of the golf club have the same aggressive attitude towards outsiders ???
    As the member who did shout and was "aggressive" I can say the norm is, the walker is talked to politely they go on a rant about they can go where they want and regularly lift their fists.
    That is the first time I've acted like that but in future rather than walk away from threats of violence when being polite, I may wait to see what they do when I don't walk away.
    Rather than decide you are now going for a walk on the course, why not read the Code. Understand that is not within your right to walk there and go to one of the plentiful areas you are allowed as mentioned. Not go looking for a confrontation where you are in the wrong!

Damn, there was me thinking i had gotten away with it too!

Excuse my ignorance here but if i were a golf course owner/operator, wouldn't that mean i owned the land and that nobody had the right of way without my permission and thus were "trespassing" or is that only in other parts of UK and not Scotland?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast