Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog walking,,,, you don't have the right to walk the golf course

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Default Dog walking,,,, you don't have the right to walk the golf course

For the ignorant dog walkers that think they have the right to roam along the golf course, you are not and have no right too,

Part 1 of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 established a right of responsible access over most land in Scotland for recreation and for the purpose of crossing said land – commonly known as the “Right to Roam”.

Although the relevant part of the Act came into force in February 2005 many people remain unaware of what this right actually entails. In particular, there is some confusion over the implications for sports clubs who have (often very large) areas of land which their members use for recreation and other sporting events. Do other members of the public really have unfettered rights of access over your manicured bowling green, golf course or rugby field?

What is the “Right to Roam”?

In short, everyone is entitled to responsible non-motorised access to land (including inland waters)

Further guidance on what “responsible” access is can be found in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com). The Outdoor Access Code, although not binding law, has been approved by the Scottish Government and the 2003 Act makes specific reference to the guidance on responsible conduct which is set out in the Access Code.

Does the 2003 Act apply to land used by Sports Clubs?

Fortunately for sports clubs, the 2003 Act specifically excludes land which has been developed or set out “as a sports or playing field” or “for a particular recreational purpose” from the Right to Roam. There is also a specific partial exemption for golf courses (although there is still a right to cross over a golf course (but not over any golf greens) provided the person doesn’t interfere with any games of golf).

The Act goes on to offer further clarification on these sporting / recreational exemptions and gives a list of specific requirements that have to be present before these exclusions will be effective. To take an example, the Act makes clear that if the land is a golf green, bowling green, cricket square or lawn tennis court, then that land will be exempt from the Right to Roam. Similarly, any sports or playing field with a synthetic grass, acrylic, resin or rubber granule surface will be exempt from the 2003 Act access rights.

Finally, any area (although not qualifying for one of the exemptions in the paragraph above) set out as a sports or playing field or for a particular recreational purpose will be exempt from the Right to Roam while that area is in use.

Further advice

While the 2003 Act (supplemented by the Outdoor Access Code) makes clear and welcome reference to exemptions from the Right to Roam for sports and playing fields and other areas set aside for recreational purposes, the legislation is far from black and white, and the courts have already had to deal with questions of interpretation.
    if it wasnt for pubs it would be tescos for us all

Your message title is wrong. There is nothing to stop someone walking over a golf COURSE. The exemptions purely apply to a GREEN. So tough.

does it clearly say in the access code exemptions, "golf green", and not,"golf course"? if it does then you can walk over all the course except the putting greens, as these are the only part of course described as "greens". of course you would need; not to disturb play, clean up dog mess (even in the rough), and keep pets under control (not necessarily on the lead).
    Last edited by Mrs Bradey; 07-Jan-14 at 12:56.

Does anyone particularly want to walk their dog on the greens?

I must admit this thread has given me a good laugh.

Not only that it reminded me of a friend I used to have about about 45 years ago. We used to play the odd round or two at Camperdown Golf Course in Dundee. The only thing was that his Wife hated all sport especially Golf and refused to let him have any Golf Clubs let alone play the game.

So he used to keep a half set at my house, we only lived a 3 minute walk from each other, and the only way he could out of the house alone, was to take his dog for a walk. He would phone me on a Sunday and he would come around to my house with his Collie Dog. We would load his and my Golf Clubs into my car, Skoda 1000MB, he would sit in the back with his dog and off we would go to Camperdown.

There we would spend a happy 3 maybe 4 hours whacking golf balls around the course while is dog ran all around us. He never went far away and he was always welcomed by all the other golfers. We used to have a great time and that is all three of us including the dog. As far as I know his wife never found out but this stopped around 1973 when I met my future wife and I stopped playing Golf. Lets face it I was rubbish at the game as I think my best ever round was 120 for 18 holes.

Personally I think there is plenty of room on any Golf Course for Golfers and Walkers whether they have dogs or not. A bit more give a take in this world would be a good thing rather than one person trying to tell another what they can or can not do.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 07-Jan-14 at 13:36.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Do ignorant golfers realise that dog walkers do have the right to walk their dogs on golf courses, as opposed to greens which are classed as sport fields,as long as they do not interrupt a game of golf.
    We walk our dog there when the course is quiet and have never had any problem with golfers, apart from one who was very rude and threatening. In fact they have been very welcoming and a few take their own dogs on the course.

Wick Golf Club actually has a sign asking people to keep dogs under control which implies that they can be walked there.
    Last edited by Liz; 07-Jan-14 at 13:35.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

No I think you'll find it says across a golf course to get from point a to point b, please feel free to contact the wick police, as I took advice from them first , you are not allowed to walk your dogs along the course, as stated you can walk them across to get from point A to point B ,

Fortunately for sports clubs, the 2003 Act specifically excludes land which has been developed or set out “as a sports or playing field” or “for a particular recreational purpose” from the Right to Roam. There is also a specific partial exemption for golf courses (although there is still a right to cross over a golf course (but not over any golf greens) provided the person doesn’t interfere with any games of golf).

Liz you will find that sign is for members who pay a large sum of money for that right,

Now off you trot to the police station and ask,,,, Ill wait here for your response ,,,
    Last edited by riggerboy; 07-Jan-14 at 14:18.

I will not 'trot' anywhere and as for my response I will be banned if I post this here.

Why are you the only golfer who has had a problem with dog walkers?

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I will not 'trot' anywhere and as for my response I will be banned if I post this here.

Why are you the only golfer who has had a problem with dog walkers?

I'm not the only golfer , and why won't you go to the police is it because you don't want to find out the truth and are quite happy to plead ignorance about the facts,

Is it so hard for dog walkers to go the extra 20 yards and go to the beach where you can walk until their heart are content

Riggerboy is correct in this instance.

I will post the relevant link again. You only have the right to cross the golf course. Your dog must be under control. You must not hold up play. You must not walk on the greens. It is explained quite clearly in the following document.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A309336.pdf

Well I have never encountered any other golfer who is so anti dog walking as you!

As for going to the police station I choose not to as don't need to. We only walk our dog on the golf course when it is very quiet and do not interrupt games and clear up dog mess
    Last edited by Liz; 07-Jan-14 at 14:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollycat View Post
    Riggerboy is correct in this instance.

I will post the relevant link again. You only have the right to cross the golf course. Your dog must be under control. You must not hold up play. You must not walk on the greens. It is explained quite clearly in the following document.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A309336.pdf

Thank Polly,

I really don't have that much of a problem with people walking the course, however sick fed up with people not cleaning up after their dogs, dogs running around with no leads on, having to wait for the inconsiderate dog walker to clear out of the way so we can play the game we pay a lot of money for, have to clean dog fouling of my shoes because they can't be bothered to clean up, I even had one dog walker tell me they always clean up after them, and their dog was over a 100 yards away, how the heck did they know if the dog had stopped for a poo or not, ??? It will be the inconsiderate dog walkers that will ruin it for all,

It has been raised in the clubhouse and will be raised again if the persistent offenders continue down the path of
    WE HAVE THE RIGHT, and don't follow simple etiquette and show a little respect for the people that pay to keep the course and make it a nice walk

All good and well but why let off steam on the Org when it is just a remote chance that the "offenders" use the Org? If you have police backing, then simply walk up to the offenders, say hello and hand them a letter explaining the situation instead of starting an argument on the Org. Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by riggerboy View Post
    Thank Polly,

I really don't have that much of a problem with people walking the course, however sick fed up with people not cleaning up after their dogs, dogs running around with no leads on, having to wait for the inconsiderate dog walker to clear out of the way so we can play the game we pay a lot of money for, have to clean dog fouling of my shoes because they can't be bothered to clean up, I even had one dog walker tell me they always clean up after them, and their dog was over a 100 yards away, how the heck did they know if the dog had stopped for a poo or not, ??? It will be the inconsiderate dog walkers that will ruin it for all,

It has been raised in the clubhouse and will be raised again if the persistent offenders continue down the path of
    WE HAVE THE RIGHT, and don't follow simple etiquette and show a little respect for the people that pay to keep the course and make it a nice walk
    I actually agree with you re inconsiderate dog owners spoiling it for others and dog mess should always be picked up.

It is just your manner is so aggressive when putting your point across. I do hope a way will be found for golfers and dog walkers to enjoy the beautiful course in harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I actually agree with you re inconsiderate dog owners spoiling it for others and dog mess should always be picked up.

It is just your manner is so aggressive when putting your point across. I do hope a way will be found for golfers and dog walkers to enjoy the beautiful course in harmony.
    My manner aggressive ???! Where in any of my posts have I been aggressive, I have re read my post and can't see aggression at any point,,,,, please feel free to point out where I have been aggressive to you or anyone

As for a way for golfers and dog walkers to get along, is for the dog walker to remember they don't have the right, they are being given the gratuity to walk the course, and to allow the golfer who gives the gratuity to play unhindered in anyway, also to cleanup all mess left, even if it is in the first cut of rough,
    Last edited by riggerboy; 07-Jan-14 at 15:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    All good and well but why let off steam on the Org when it is just a remote chance that the "offenders" use the Org? If you have police backing, then simply walk up to the offenders, say hello and hand them a letter explaining the situation instead of starting an argument on the Org. Simple!

It would appear it's not a remote chance, as I have had replies from dog walkers on this thread, sorry if this post isn't about tesco, horse theft and other top topics

No I think you'll find it says across a golf course to get from point a to point b, please feel free to contact the wick police, as I took advice from them first , you are not allowed to walk your dogs along the course, as stated you can walk them across to get from point A to point B , Fortunately for sports clubs, the 2003 Act specifically excludes land which has been developed or set out “as a sports or playing field” or “for a particular recreational purpose” from the Right to Roam. There is also a specific partial exemption for golf courses (although there is still a right to cross over a golf course (but not over any golf greens) provided the person doesn’t interfere with any games of golf).Liz you will find that sign is for members who pay a large sum of money for that right, Now off you trot to the police station and ask,,,, Ill wait here for your response ,,,
    the police are not the correct people to ask about this, as they are generally more ignorant than most, particularly on the subject of public access! Matt Dent is the Highland Council access officer for this area, and it is he should be approached with issues pertaining to public access.

It would appear it's not a remote chance, as I have had replies from dog walkers on this thread, sorry if this post isn't about tesco, horse theft and other top topics
    So are these dog walkers the culprits?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    So are these dog walkers the culprits?
    I didn't say that,

Attaboy riggerboy, keep it up, don't slow down as your antics and tizzy throwing on this thread is highly amusing. You really should have a go at BGT on TV, I bet you would win.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast