Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sunny North Marketing

Default Sunny North Marketing

Well considering where we live and the state of the weather down south this year. I think its about time we marketed Caithness as the sunny destination. All we need is the tourism people to pull their fingers out and we could have a wonderful opportunity.
    Friendly People
    Beautiful Scenery
    Wildlife sealife and bird life
    History back through the ages
    Beaches second to non
    We have everything and more that other areas have its about time we made use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    Well considering where we live and the state of the weather down south this year. I think its about time we marketed Caithness as the sunny destination. All we need is the tourism people to pull their fingers out and we could have a wonderful opportunity.Friendly PeopleBeautiful SceneryWildlife sealife and bird life History back through the agesBeaches second to non We have everything and more that other areas have its about time we made use of it.
    I'm sure I have read in the past that caithness gets more hours of sunlight per annum than any other part of mainland Britain only beaten by Orkney (British isles) all the bitching aside caithness has still a lot going for it!

Loads of light coupled with bitter winds and rainLovely
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Loads of light coupled with bitter winds and rainLovely
    Well hardly any rain compared to the south this year and as for the wind, well trying excluding the legumes from your diet :0))

Well hardly any rain compared to the south this year and as for the wind, well trying excluding the legumes from your diet :0))
    As the year is only 4 days old, I think it is a tad early to pass judgement.Unless you have your tongue particularily close to an anus I would imagine bitter would not be a word used to describe stomach wind
    W.A.T.P.

Caithness as a place to visit? why on earth would anybody want to come here now?
    You cite:-
    Friendly People - Just as long as visitors don't know about the Org then they will be fine!
    Beautiful Scenery - Nature at it's best, ruined by huge monstrosities of wind turbines
    Wildlife sealife and bird life - Wildlife aplenty in Thurso on Saturday evening after closing time, sealife seems to be lacking, maybe it's all been eaten or maybe its those damn scorries frightening them off
    History back through the ages - The way Wick and Thurso are looking now, littered with all those crumbling, ruined and derelict buildings, it's as if we still are back in the ages of time
    Beaches second to non - just bring your own radiation detector!

Bland and tasteless attempt at humour aside, i still think Caithness as a whole has a lot going for it but as you say, there is a distinct lack of promotion of the area. I wouldn't trust any of the tourism people to put us on the map unless the map of course was drawn on the back of a £100 note. I'm sure you would see them fight to promote it then!.

Just doing a web search, it brings up Caithness Glass as the first listed webpage. So, erm, just where exactly is Caithness Glass? oh that's right, it's in PERTHSHIRE!!!. Closely following on it's heels is the good old Org!. Hmm, maybe Niall should ask Google to lower it a bit in the rankings just in case any would be tourists have a read of the threads on it! Then it's Ebay, Amazon, Caithness Glass again.....hmm, says a lot about spanking good Caithness tourism sites!

If you set up a website yourself to promote Caithness, what would you put on it? (we all know what time Tescos opens!)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    Caithness as a place to visit? why on earth would anybody want to come here now?

Just doing a web search, it brings up Caithness Glass as the first listed webpage. Closely following on it's heels is the good old Org!. Hmm, maybe Niall should ask Google to lower it a bit in the rankings just in case any would be tourists have a read of the threads on it! Then it's Ebay, Amazon, Caithness Glass again.....hmm, says a lot about spanking good Caithness tourism sites!

If you set up a website yourself to promote Caithness, what would you put on it? (we all know what time Tescos opens!)

Hahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseowl View Post
    There are some great Facebook pages set up to promote the highlands, which features some brilliant beaches and coastlines! My Wild North, is a great one! As is Images of Alba and the North Highland Initiative Tourism Project!
    Thanks for that wise owl although I doubt many people use Facebook to look for places to go on holiday it tends to be friends so whilst Facebook itself has millions of followers they tend to be in small circles not going for the whole global interface so to speak

Very good point Ragner! It would be great for Caithness if it was seen for its beautiful beaches and coastlines! Contrary to what some Southeners may thinks, it's not all snow and penguins!

I've just spent the last week showing a friend arou d Caithness and parts of Sutherland. I think it would be fair to say they where more than surprised by how beautiful it is up here and how friendly the people are,not what they expected infact they favourably compared it to Denmark and parts of Norway the only disappointment being so many place where closed but I put that down to the out of season tourism business. It does make me wonder what if anything the tourism dept does with its time money and resources.

Friendly People
    Beautiful Scenery
    Wildlife sealife and bird life
    History back through the ages
    Beaches second to non
    And don't forget "Ferries to Orkney"!

Just returned from a beautiful winters walk up here in Kirtomy sun is out a wee breeze but i wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Wasn't it just a "wee breeze" up there when your wheely bins went for a wander a while back?

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    And don't forget "Ferries to Orkney"!
    Yes ferries to the Orkneys if Caithness tourism pulled their fingers out a bit I'm sure less people would head over and stay here :0))

A few years back friends went into a tourist information centre in Inverness to make enquiries about further north and were told there was very little to do after you went over the Kessock bridge!!Probably 4 years ago now. When we heard about this we complained to the Scottish Tourist Board but got no satisfaction. Those who do make it to the far north usually return year after year as they have so much to see and do.