Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Transfer phone list to a new phone

Default Transfer phone list to a new phone

I have just got a new Nokia Lumia 520 Windows phone which has a micro SIM card and I am have great dificulty in transferring my phone list from my old Motorola Defy with a standard SIM card. I have got so far as having the names and numbers in a .csv file on my PC and I have also entered them in Outlook. I have opened an, outlook.com account which supposedly makes it easy to transfer them but I just don't get it.
    I should be grateful for any help.
    The alternative is a trip to Inverness for the Nokia shop to do it, or transfer all 173 entries by hand.
    Thanks
    ywy2
    ps. I haven't activated my new SIM card yet as I am reluctant to do so until I am sure that I can transfer the phone list
    Last edited by ywindythesecond; 30-Dec-13 at 17:40. Reason: ps added

I don't have an Outlook.com account but I do have a BT Business supplied Office 365 account which logs in to something similar. Once logged in I click the cog icon (Settings) & there's an option to Import Contacts - very straightforward. Once that's done, you should be able to log into the same Outlook.com account from your new phone & the contacts should be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    I don't have an Outlook.com account but I do have a BT Business supplied Office 365 account which logs in to something similar. Once logged in I click the cog icon (Settings) & there's an option to Import Contacts - very straightforward. Once that's done, you should be able to log into the same Outlook.com account from your new phone & the contacts should be available.
    Thanks Bob, I will try that. I did something similar and it Outlook was only interested in email contacts, not phone numbers. But I will have another go in the morning.

You might need to do a custom import & map the fields manually. Also while I was in Outlook.com I noticed you have to click the People heading at the top first then the settings cog for import contacts!

I did that but as I said, it only imported the names. Then I found there was no select all function and I had to delete all 154 names individually! "Map the fields manually!" You know my capabilities, no point insaying something like that to me!
    Thanks any, and have a good New Year.

I don't know the phones concerned, but couldn't you pair them on BlueTooth, then transfer?
    ---[BJM

Quote Originally Posted by BrianJM View Post
    I don't know the phones concerned, but couldn't you pair them on BlueTooth, then transfer?
    Thanks BrianJM.
    Got the phones paired but the Motorola came up with there wasn't permission to do the transfer. Vodaphone help said the two were incompatible systems, but I wasn't convinced that he knew enough about it, his best shot was either go to Vodaphone, Inverness, or transfer manually one by one. Couldn't find a way to talk to a person at Motorala.
    I Googled the phone number of Vodaphone Inverness today, but you get the National helpline, finally spoke to a very helpful person who not only gave me the direct phone number but the Managers name. Phoned the number, got an ansaphone, asked to be called back and wasn't.
    On the bright side I have a text message asking me to rate their recent service, which I am not filling in just yet!

MOBILedit.PhoneCopier.v7.5.2.4183-rG
    New phones are always tempting for consumers, but everyone
    knows that a new phone is practically unusable upon purchase
    as it is empty; no calls or text messaging can be executed.
    The process of transferring all current contacts into the new
    phone is time-consuming and quite tedious. Importing from
    Facebook or other social networks doesn?t help because mobile
    phone numbers are rarely available. Importing from a SIM card
    is not enough as it has a very limited list of 14 character
    names with a single phone number.The only place with complete
    data and up-to-date phone numbers is the contact list stored
    in the mobile phone?s memory.It has been created by users for
    years with not only phone numbers,but also addresses, photos,
    notes and emails. That?s true value that users have entered
    into their phones and no one wants to lose any of this infor-
    mation.Our Phone Copier is the perfect solution as it is able
    to copy complete contact lists from almost any phone to any
    new phone with just a few clicks.
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

Well after lots of searching I gave up and transferred the numbers manually. It seems there are two problems. The first is that my new phone has a micro SD card so the old one cant be inserted, and the old phone has phone list while the new phone has a contacts list with includes among many other things, phone numbers with lots of different descriptions like home, work ,mobile and more so there would have to be some tricky programme to put the numbers in the right place.
    Thanks for helping everone.

I used the app "bump" to transfer contacts from iphone to samsung

However they have now closed the app which isn't ideal