Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Storm Damage

Default Storm Damage

Just heard that the roofs gone from Thurso High School and that Ormlie Rd is closed in one direction. Take care if you're out and about.

When I was out it was closed in both directions. I had to drive passed BT and go the back road to come out at Janetstown just to get into Ormlie. Took about 45 minutes because of all the traffic. Sooo many people passed the passing places with lots of cars coming towards them and trailing behind them, making people have to drive over the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by pirateeye View Post
    When I was out it was closed in both directions. I had to drive passed BT and go the back road to come out at Janetstown just to get into Ormlie. Took about 45 minutes because of all the traffic. Sooo many people passed the passing places with lots of cars coming towards them and trailing behind them, making people have to drive over the grass.
    I was there going the other way, in hindsight really wish I'd followed my gut instinct & gone round via Halkirk instead.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by pirateeye View Post
    I'm afraid there are a few people who don't understand what passing places are for, even those who live next to single track roads. It's not a difficult concept is it?

Quote Originally Posted by luskentyre View Post
    I'm afraid there are a few people who don't understand what passing places are for, even those who live next to single track roads. It's not a difficult concept is it?
    Was more to do with the fact that the road was overloaded in both directions & the passing places were just not up to the job, can't use a passing place if you can't get to it.
    The fact that it was dark also didn't help.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Why put flat roofs on buildings in Caithness anyway?
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Well when I passed it was 3pm, and when you have a trail of cars behind you, and can see a trail coming towards you, you should think "the passing place isn't big enough to let two trains past, I had better wait here, in this passing place and keep this trail back"
    But yes I think the way through Halkirk, although longer, being a two track road is much and easier and safer. Would have been much quicker yesterday too

Why did it never happen when I was at school!

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    Why put flat roofs on buildings in Caithness anyway?
    Government agencies.

Thank goodness the children were not at school...Angel
    I'm not perfect, which is a shame really, as everyone else is!

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Why did it never happen when I was at school!
    you went to school? (sorry couldn't resist)
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Are those lice that frequent pubs? Or has it been abbreviated from an altogether more personal location?

Quote Originally Posted by billmoseley View Post
    you went to school? (sorry couldn't resist)
    Right enough.

Had I been there, it might have happened while I was there.