Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Free Marine A Petition

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    Of course they get trained for all the aspects of conflict. You're such a fool.
    No, they get trained for the various aspects of their given job. In some cases this is how to murder people by many and various methods. What is not followed up, is how to deal with that. Also, after being sent around the world to meet people and kill them, many do have any training into joining Civvy Street. The training provided meets the specific need at the specific time, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    An interesting article by Robin Tilbrook the chairman of the English Democrats

I support the calls for Marine A to receive a Royal Pardon.

As I understand it the facts in this case came to light several years after the event when his comrade who had recorded the whole incident on a helmet video cam-recorder was being investigated for something else and the police looked through his computer and found that he had downloaded and kept the clip of the incident.

Marine A’s response to this seems to have been to lie about it and try to say that he thought the wounded Taliban was already dead. This dishonest response coupled with his comment at the time to his comrades that the incident should “go no further” and that he had breached the “Geneva Convention” showed that Marine A was well aware that he had not only disobeyed orders but also had broken the law. The question however does remain what is the appropriate punishment for this incident?

In my view British Forces should not be in Afghanistan anyway and certainly should not be there in the current political situation where we are in effect propping up a corrupt government and thereby facilitating a vast upsurge in opium production. The direction of travel in the Afghan government in any case is to become ever more Islamist and no doubt as soon as Western troops are removed the Taliban will take-over again. Probably the whole net outcome of the intervention in Afghanistan will be that the Afghan state is far worse than what was happening before so far as our Nation’s interests are concerned. The whole intervention has cost literally billions and the lives of hundreds of our soldiers and the health of thousands of badly wounded or battled traumatised men. The Taliban have been increasingly vicious to captured soldiers and I understand before this incident occurred, not only were the limbs of captured soldiers being displayed on trees, but also at least one had been skinned alive.

In the circumstances it is not surprising that our soldiers start to feel extremely unwilling to take prisoners.

The Geneva Convention does not in fact require soldiers to take prisoners, but once they have been taken then they have to be looked after, so there may have been a legitimate issue as to whether this individual had in fact been taken prisoner. I don’t know whether this was properly argued before the Court Martial.

In any case, even if we assume that he had been taken prisoner and it was a deliberate act of murder, the fact is that the British State has put Marine A into this situation means that it owes him a duty to not treat him like any other ordinary criminal. In particular, not to put him into the civilian prison environment where he is bound to be endangered by the hundreds of Islamist gangs that now infest our prisons.

On this point it is worth noting that when “Tommy Robinson” was sent to prison he had to be kept in solitary confinement in order to protect him from these Islamist gangs! Is the British Political and Establishment really saying that Marine A should be kept in solitary confinement for 10 years for this offence?

It is however the case that Marine A has disobeyed orders and in a military context having soldiers disobey orders and try to cover up their disobedience does require some disciplinary reaction. I would have thought in this case being dismissed from the service with disgrace was sufficient acknowledgement of Marine A’s wrongdoing.

It should also be borne in mind that probably the relevant Taliban individual had been sufficiently badly wounded that he was in fact going to die anyway.

It is also difficult to see what the point of spending considerable expense and medical resources on the Taliban individual would be when even if it was possible to save him, as soon as he became healthy again he would revert to being a serious risk to our soldiers!

As Winston Churchill makes clear in his first book ‘The Malakand Field Force’, he himself and the British Army in the North West Frontier generally did not take prisoners. When they had tried to take prisoners, the then equivalent of the Taliban suicide bombers, the Ghazis would try to kill them! It therefore appears that Churchill and his comrades decided to shortcut the process and give the Ghazis the benefit of immediate martyrdom!

Had the prosecuting decision been mine, I would not have sought to convict Marine A of murder but now that he has been convicted of murder, the honourable way for the State to deal with the situation would be the very traditional one of a Royal Pardon. This would release Marine A from prison immediately but does leave him with a recognition of the fact that there has been a breach of military discipline. What the Government has said about this is no doubt deliberately deceptive. They claimed that:- "It would be inappropriate for the Government to intervene in this independent judicial process." A Royal Pardon is a perfectly proper and long standing way in which the English state has been able to keep legal decisions in tune with public opinion. This case is one where it could be used to correct an injustice.

What do you think? Unquote.
    Kevin,

The following is the text of a letter I wrote to a national newspaper.

'Sirs,

It's a daily occurrence to read about the ways that laws are flouted, twisted and interpreted in this country to suit the needs of our masters and the well connected. It's a sad reflection of today's society that politicians and the judiciary did not apply their well oiled minds to devise a different outcome in Sergeant Blackman's case.'

Robin Tilbrook's suggestion is an example of what I meant, though sadly I doubt that it will happen at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by wavy davy View Post
    Kevin,

The following is the text of a letter I wrote to a national newspaper.

'Sirs,

It's a daily occurrence to read about the ways that laws are flouted, twisted and interpreted in this country to suit the needs of our masters and the well connected. It's a sad reflection of today's society that politicians and the judiciary did not apply their well oiled minds to devise a different outcome in Sergeant Blackman's case.'

Robin Tilbrook's suggestion is an example of what I meant, though sadly I doubt that it will happen at this stage.
    wavy davy

I understand where you are coming from and that's why I have found the very different opinions of a cross section of the org community interesting.

Although we have some members that are much better informed than others on what it might be like to have to make the "unwise" decision that Sargent Blackman made, I still find it hard to make my own mind up on what his outcome ought to be, however, I find it intriguing to read many different opinions from the good and the righteous.

I will post my opinion when I have given it due thought.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678