Hello Everyone. While googling around and before I registered for this forum, I stumbled across a pretty ancient thread concerning the family of James Bremner,my 5th great grandfather b. 1751 & Ann Sutherland.

The thread in question also featured a granddaughter of theirs, Flora Bremner 1824 - 1870, and it is information about her I would like to both, share and find out about.

The thread touched on the fact that she married a Charles Gray at age 19 in 1844 in Manchester Cathedral no less. It also noted that she died in 1870 in Perth Prison of general debility. Like the poster way back in '05 I too wondered why a seemingly grand wedding would ultimately lead to a sorry end in prison. What heinious crime did she commit? That wasn't a rhetorical question ,lol. If any one does know the circumstances I'd love to know.

I do know more about the Cathedral wedding. Around about the time of the wedding a new law was passed which made it a requirement of any marriage(except for those between either Jews or Quakers) for the ceremony to be held in the couple's parish church. Manchester Cathedral just happened to be their parish church.

The well known and usually accurate trees of brebner/bremner.com,states of Flora & Charles that there were no children - in Scotland. But there was a son, Robert, born in England, and at the time of the 30 March 1851 Census, he was aged 5. The three of them were living in lodgings on Old Shorehead, Arbroath.

What became of Charles & Robert after that I do not know, and as mentioned previously, Flora ended up in the prison.

I am part o f the Bremner family through my mother's side, her gran was Alice Bremner 1874 - 1944.

Right then. If anyone has any information that may help me discover more about my family I'd love to hear from them. I would also be willing to share any relevant info that I may be able to in return.

Thanks to anyone that has taken the time to read this.

Mike Brown, Fife.