Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: can't get laptop to connect to internet

Default can't get laptop to connect to internet

I have a tower and a laptop. since I changed from AOL to TAlk Talk I cannot get my laptop to connect to internet. The proper network shows up on the laptop and the reception is good, but when I try to connect I get the message that there is a fault. 47-AC-30010x84100118. Working fine on the tower.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Possibly an AOL connectivity problem. Your browser maybe looking for something from AOL.
    I'm not to up on AOL but years ago when i used them they installed a piece of software on the pc.
    It might be worth looking on control panel ..add and remove programs and see if there is any AOL stuff that should be removed.

I'm Assuming you are using windows and IE perhaps try a different browser maybe firefox to see if it local to just the browser.
    I'veNot used them for many years. I now run linux and not to clued up with the latest versions of windows etc.
    :-)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.

you need to uninstall the

AOL Connection Services software ("ACS")
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

phoned talk talk and they say it's because my laptop is old and will not accept new technology. The laptop may be old, but it works perfectly. Is this a way of making us buy new stuff all the time?
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

nothing to do with it!!
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

If you've removed all the AOL software in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel then there are a couple of other options you can try:-

a) if your router has a WPS button, try pressing this before trying to connect - you may find your laptop will connect without needing to use the key found on the label

b) I've encountered situations where the wifi security settings on the router need to be 'downgraded' to work with some older laptops. Most new routers will be set to WPA2 but sometimes reducing this to WPA or even WEP will work, however to do so means delving into the more advanced settings within the router which I'd recommend leaving to someone familiar with doing so