Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson backs campaign against Castletown pharmacy

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    It's obvious many people on here don't understand what is going on - you might find some answers on this website http://www.saveoursurgery.co.uk/documents/
    I didnt see any answers on this.I have said it before and I will say it again.The main losers in this are the GPS and its financialy.Nhs Highland themselves have said that the surgery wont be affected.There will still be a surgery there will still be doctors whether its the current ones or locums should they leave or retire but the village may get the bonus of a pharmacy with a pharmacist who can work alongside the gps.This person can give over the counter advice and remedies and as has been stated provide an extra check to make sure the prescriptions are ok. The gps will lose money but the community will gain another service.I may be old and getting on in years but if you take away the scaremongering and hype its a no brainer as my grandkids would say. The surgeries in Wick and Thurso operate alongside quite a few pharmacies they dont have the extra cash coming in from having a dispensary are we hearing them complaining and campaigning and scaremongering against pharmacies so that they can have it all to themselves?
    My mother seldom said anything, but her sighs were loud enough

It's simple.

Somebody sees a good opportunity to "make a buck."

We have a large pharmacy chain over here who added groceries and all sorts of stuff and used their pharmacy as a means to open on Sundays and after regular hours (when such laws were still in place).

Having read the site and listened to the interviews, it would appear that the workload is such that it is not sustainable to have the Doctors checking every prescription.

It also seems that if it isn't this crew then it will be someone else in the future.

It would seem the best option (if they have the money and the interest) would be for the doctors themselves, to open a pharmacy. Whilst they wouldn't get the same funding from NHS for having the pharmacy they have now, if this crew think they can make so much money out of it, surely it would be better if the docs themselves owned it.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Having read the site and listened to the interviews, it would appear that the workload is such that it is not sustainable to have the Doctors checking every prescription.

It also seems that if it isn't this crew then it will be someone else in the future.

It would seem the best option (if they have the money and the interest) would be for the doctors themselves, to open a pharmacy. Whilst they wouldn't get the same funding from NHS for having the pharmacy they have now, if this crew think they can make so much money out of it, surely it would be better if the docs themselves owned it.
    But why go down this route when you already have the easiest option up and running. Just hype up the public who DO NOT have the full facts and scare away the opposition. If only the small shops in towns had this same backing when tesco wanted to open the doors and everyone was shouting shops will close jobs will be lost!!Its a case of dont throw the baby out with the bathwater. In years to come when these current doctors retire with their nice profits from the money they have earned whose the loser. Yes the dispensary gives them extra funding but so does a lot of other services they could provide early opening etc.all this money goes into one big pot they pay the staff etc etc then after all their expenses who gets the profits ? This is all down to money and you will not sway me away from this and the public and councillors etc are being used as pawns.I am not saying this is a perfect set up and yes it may need to be looked at but always keep in mind who is benefiting the most.A pharmacy which stocks a few extras for when you run out or need a wee bottle of cough mixture without a visit to the surgery isnt such a bad proposition for the public now is it.Its an extra service in a village which needs all it can to keep the population living there.

I would like to know why folk think the Gp'S are 'lining their pockets with money'.. ? Any patients at the Canisbay and Castletown surgery know the service and care they get AND the fact that the gp's are not driving Porsches, or wearing Chanel suits. !!! longggg hours are worked by both doctors. The profit is fed back into the service, health board do not fund the surgery. It is not like Riverbank which is currently run by the nhs! Princess street branch at Halkirk has a dispensary. What is so wrong with protecting rural services? The services will be affected with the closing of the dispensarys , yes gp's surgery will exists in some form, with or with out the present doctors. The lot on here who are so free to have a pop at folk who are trying to save the service , will be the ones moaning on here when they can't see a gp within 10 days, or see the same doctor at subsequent visits. Oh and before u start, yes we are all entitled to our opinions,,,,and this is mine!

Quote Originally Posted by may67 View Post
    I would like to know why folk think the Gp'S are 'lining their pockets with money'.. ? Any patients at the Canisbay and Castletown surgery know the service and care they get AND the fact that the gp's are not driving Porsches, or wearing Chanel suits. !!! longggg hours are worked by both doctors. The profit is fed back into the service, health board do not fund the surgery. It is not like Riverbank which is currently run by the nhs! Princess street branch at Halkirk has a dispensary. What is so wrong with protecting rural services? The services will be affected with the closing of the dispensarys , yes gp's surgery will exists in some form, with or with out the present doctors. The lot on here who are so free to have a pop at folk who are trying to save the service , will be the ones moaning on here when they can't see a gp within 10 days, or see the same doctor at subsequent visits. Oh and before u start, yes we are all entitled to our opinions,,,,and this is mine!
    Now if I were to look back at my words I have printed I have only stated that the people reaping the largest benefit from this is the GPs and its financially yes. I stand by what I say I have not sad the GPs do not work for this. They provide a service which they receive payment for. Also I dont recall mentioning anything about the lifestyle or the vehicles that the current GPs drive its up to them what they drive I drive what I can afford to drive and I am sure they do likewise.I would agree and I have stated already that the profit is highly likely fed back into the service thereafter once all other commitments are paid for the money then goes to, let me see if Ive got it right in my not so youthfull brain the Gps and there is where you have the slight conflict of interest. Those who recieve the most from the this pharmacy in the surgery is basically the GPs. Joe public are going to recieve this service no matter who provides it.There is nothing wrong with protecting rural services but if you look at it you are actually cutting your nose off to spite your face. This person is as far as I can see and unless a wee bit of this often spoken about dementia has set in on me already is offering to enhance the service by providing more for the public.Now you tell me apart from whats been spoon fed to you by the gps which NHS highland have already said wont happen, how this is going to affect services. There will still be a Gp service unless the Gps themselves who seemingly have the best interests of the patients at heart toss in the towel and both retire early.I am not having a go at any one trying to save a service which quite frankly is not going to be lost if you look at the facts its just going to exist in a different possibly enhanced form.Also this also could mean that rather than waiting ten days to go and see a GP the smaller minor ailments can be often dealt with by a pharmacist so this will help the gps freeing up their time for their sicker patients more in need of their help.Quite rightly so we are all entitled to our oppinions but I also feel this mob mentality has only managed to silence the few who are in support of this pharmacy going ahead and believe me they are out there like it or not there are a few people silently supporting this application.

Another wee thought on this one to help highlight my point.I may be wrong but here goes. I am currently on warfarin I am on it for life. Say I am a patient in castletown. I go visiti the gp and then i to collect my prescription from the very very busy GP. Now again I think i remember being told by someone once that pharmacies are paid per perscription. Does the very busy gp give me a 1 month prescription or 3 months because im on it for life i will always need these tablets in whatever strength im told to take it and they can give me this send me away and not hav to bother with me apart from bloods again for while. I am not saying that this is happening like this for a financial reason but look at it it leaves you open to also sorts of accusations if effectively yo are writing the prescriptions that you will be benefiting from dispensing.I am not for one minute saying this is the case but just highlighting little anomolies if thats the correct word to use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12